Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:18:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 69976 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2019, 07:38:28 PM »

Northam has apologized for the photo,  so guess it's confirmed now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2019, 07:38:37 PM »

Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »

I find it hilarious how many Deplorable, hypocritical blue avatars come-out from under the rock, when they see threads like this, but hide their head in shame when they don't post in threads about their Moron-In-Chief and this clownish administration.

Fair point, being hypocritical is not admirable.  On this subject, though, do you think he should resign?

Yes. The answer is easy.
And the answer is usually easy for people to answer for those who lean left, and says ALOT compared to those who lean right. Hell, many on the right just ignore events like this (if it was a Republican) and don't say anything either way; I guess they like to just exist in "pretend world" and play like it didn't happen.
That is what I find Deplorable about many blue-avatars here.
A Republican elected official or candidate is found to do something racist, or who sexually chases young teenage girls, (or if guns kill someone) and blue-avatars refuse to denounce something that should be so easy to do.
Now if it was their mother/sister/daughter/child that was done wrong, of course those blue avatars would be angry, but if its someone else's mother/sister/daughter/child, than the "R" next to the GOP candidate means more. Disgusting!

Nice false equivalency. There's a huge difference between doing something racist and doing something illegal. Rape and murder are illegal while dressing up in black face or a KKK robe is not. Should someone's career really be ruined because they did a non illegal activity. It most certainly should in the event of a suspected crime, like what Roy Moore is alleged to have done.

Also weren't actors in Hollywood still using blackface during the time period when this picture was taken. Just look at a 1983 film called Trading Places starring Dan Aykroyd where he adorns blackface as a disguise. That film has an 86% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Where's the outrage on that?

My point is that this photo happened a long time ago in a period where something like this would not be that uncommon especially in the south.

And what if this new revelation (above) has validity?
I still stand by what I said. I'm tired of all the outrage at everything. If this attitude keeps up our generation and younger ones are going to be screwed. Basically everything that you've done is on social media for everyone to see. There's bound to be something bad that someone can dig up on you.

Here's a prime example. Top college athlete had to apologize for something he tweeted when he was 14. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/heisman-trophy-winner-kyler-murray-apologizes-anti-gay-tweets-n945901
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2019, 07:41:24 PM »

I find it hilarious how many Deplorable, hypocritical blue avatars come-out from under the rock, when they see threads like this, but hide their head in shame when they don't post in threads about their Moron-In-Chief and this clownish administration.

Fair point, being hypocritical is not admirable.  On this subject, though, do you think he should resign?

Yes. The answer is easy.
And the answer is usually easy for people to answer for those who lean left, and says ALOT compared to those who lean right. Hell, many on the right just ignore events like this (if it was a Republican) and don't say anything either way; I guess they like to just exist in "pretend world" and play like it didn't happen.
A Republican elected official or candidate is found to do something racist, or who sexually chases young teenage girls, (or if guns kill someone) and blue-avatars refuse to denounce something that should be so easy to do.
Now if it was their mother/sister/daughter/child that was done wrong, of course those blue avatars would be angry, but if its someone else's mother/sister/daughter/child, than the "R" next to the GOP candidate means more. Disgusting!

Nice false equivalency. There's a huge difference between doing something racist and doing something illegal. Rape and murder are illegal while dressing up in black face or a KKK robe is not. Should someone's career really be ruined because they did a non illegal activity. It most certainly should in the event of a suspected crime, like what Roy Moore is alleged to have done.

Also weren't actors in Hollywood still using blackface during the time period when this picture was taken. Just look at a 1983 film called Trading Places starring Dan Aykroyd where he adorns blackface as a disguise. That film has an 86% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Where's the outrage on that?

My point is that this photo happened a long time ago in a period where something like this would not be that uncommon especially in the south.

I still stand by what I said. I'm tired of all the outrage at everything. If this attitude keeps up our generation and younger ones are going to be screwed. Basically everything that you've done is on social media for everyone to see. There's bound to be something bad that someone can dig up on you.

Here's a prime example. Top college athlete had to apologize for something he tweeted when he was 14. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/heisman-trophy-winner-kyler-murray-apologizes-anti-gay-tweets-n945901

Image going through this for every political candidate from our generation, because that's what the reality will be.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2019, 07:44:35 PM »

Northam was just elected in 2017...why the hell didn't Republicans bring this up two years ago?   Seems to show that they're pretty incompetent.
Galaxie

« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2019, 07:44:40 PM »

It's real.

Also, looks like the guy in the top left has a blackface photo as well. Delightful.

On a completely different note, Giac-Chan Nguyen-Tan included lyrics from freaking Yes's Close to the Edge on his page. That s*** is rad.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »

Yes. The answer is easy.

Image going through this for every political candidate from our generation, because that's what the reality will be.

And the governor has not confirmed (yet) which one of the two people in the image, he is portraying. So he could be the one in the KKK suit (and not the one in blackface).
Is that acceptable?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »

The party that ran Corey Stewert suddenly cares about the klan and blackface.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2019, 07:50:45 PM »

Dear Lord Governor Northam of Tidewater,

Please resign your post, effective immediately.

With not very many thanks,
Not a Hypocrite
mgop
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2019, 07:51:51 PM »

can this jerk be more entitled wasp lol
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2019, 07:56:48 PM »

Yes. The answer is easy.

And the governor has not confirmed (yet) which one of the two people in the image, he is portraying. So he could be the one in the KKK suit (and not the one in blackface).
Is that acceptable?
It's a wrong thing to do, but that doesn't mean that he should lose his job over it. Especially because it was 35 years ago. Every politician who has driven drunk has done something worse than Norman did and you still see them in office.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »

Unpopular opinion, but no one should have their career ruined over anything that happened decades ago unless it leads to a legal conviction that results in jail time.  This is totally disgusting, but there is every possibility that this is something he truly regrets and does not consider acceptable now.

But, he is still a massive HP for the abortion stuff, and the fact that he would believe one thing so horrid makes me wonder how surprising it would be if he believed another horrid thing.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2019, 08:00:46 PM »

Even if it was many years ago this is the sort of thing where people have to be held to a strict and high standard. Anything that is racist cannot be overlooked especially when it comes to elected officials.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »

Unpopular opinion, but no one should have their career ruined over anything that happened decades ago unless it leads to a legal conviction that results in jail time.  This is totally disgusting, but there is every possibility that this is something he truly regrets and does not consider acceptable now.

But, he is still a massive HP for the abortion stuff, and the fact that he would believe one thing so horrid makes me wonder how surprising it would be if he believed another horrid thing.

Public officials don't just have a 'career', they are representatives of their region and should act as an example. They must be held to a much higher standard than the general population.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2019, 08:04:55 PM »

Sad end to his political career, Northam was one of my favorite pols. He's an all around great guy Army doc, pediatrician, public servant who fought for Medicaid expansion. There are plenty of pols who have done far worse and haven't been run out of office but it is what it is.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2019, 08:05:55 PM »

Public officials don't just have a 'career', they are representatives of their region and should act as an example. They must be held to a much higher standard than the general population.

I believe that that only applies to a politician's present day set of morals.  I already didn't like Northam, but this doesn't change my opinion of him because I highly doubt this reflects him today.  Likewise with almost any scandal (offensive comments, sexual assault, whatever) that allegedly happened when a politician was young- it doesn't affect what I think of them today and would NEVER change my vote based on a scandal.  I'd even vote for someone who I agreed with who murdered people when they were younger (as long as they have made that right with God) over someone who I did not agree with.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2019, 08:06:50 PM »

He should have mentioned this when he first ran for office and pointed out that he was no longer that person. 
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »

NAACP and Richmond Times-Dispatch calls for his resignation https://www.richmond.com/opinion/our-opinion/editorial-northam-must-resign/article_76151583-9954-5720-9f66-2f86ab689e9c.html
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »

well that was unexpected
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2019, 08:14:03 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2019, 08:16:56 PM »

TBH there isn't much hypocrisy in this thread. A lot of Rs(aka mostly Kavanuagh defenders) also dont want Northam to resign and the reverse true for D's with the exception of some hacks like Woodbury and Indy Texas.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2019, 08:50:55 PM »

TBH there isn't much hypocrisy in this thread. A lot of Rs(aka mostly Kavanuagh defenders) also dont want Northam to resign and the reverse true for D's with the exception of some hacks like Woodbury and Indy Texas.
Sir Woodbury is not a Democrat.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2019, 08:54:00 PM »

I posted my general thought on this in the thread with the poll but I must elaborate further on something, of all things to put in a yearbook...why that image? It's a bit like posting that to Instagram today but worse. It seems to indicate that it meant a lot to him for that to be in there. He had limited space to put photos, quotes, etc. and that's what he chose as one of them? That's the most striking part of this to me. It's one thing for him to have done this without photographic evidence, it would still be offensive but would only be hearsay. But to show it off in your yearbook for hundreds of other classmates to see? I just don't get it...and I'm glad that I don't.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »

If he doesn't resign then he will be removed from office by the legislature.
It's as simple as that.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2019, 09:00:57 PM »

Any chance that VA Republicans attempt to sway him toward switching parties again? It might be his only chance at leverage given that the Democratic consensus points toward demanding his resignation.

If that's what the Virginia GOP thinks it needs to dig themselves out of their hole, they are even more pathetic than I had previously thought.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies