New Zealand political discussion thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:52:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand political discussion thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Zealand political discussion thread  (Read 28977 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: October 13, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »
« edited: October 13, 2021, 09:34:20 PM by Хahar 🤔 »

This is a broader question than what I usually pose in threads like this, but Ebowed's comment got me thinking. My impression is that economic opportunities for young people in New Zealand are rather limited, and I know that there is far more migration from New Zealand to Australia than the reverse. I'm sure that the right to live and work in Australia is very important to New Zealanders, but I'm curious whether youth emigration is a major political issue in New Zealand, and if so who has plans to address it and how. One would think that this might be fertile territory for a party like ACT, but on the other hand the policies with which ACT is associated don't seem to have done much to solve this problem in the '80s and '90s.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 06:48:41 PM »

This brings to mind a point that I brought up in this thread earlier that nobody responded to:

This is a broader question than what I usually pose in threads like this, but Ebowed's comment got me thinking. My impression is that economic opportunities for young people in New Zealand are rather limited, and I know that there is far more migration from New Zealand to Australia than the reverse. I'm sure that the right to live and work in Australia is very important to New Zealanders, but I'm curious whether youth emigration is a major political issue in New Zealand, and if so who has plans to address it and how. One would think that this might be fertile territory for a party like ACT, but on the other hand the policies with which ACT is associated don't seem to have done much to solve this problem in the '80s and '90s.

The present housing crisis is obviously clearly related. Government policy favors rent-seeking homeowners looking for continued appreciation in the housing market. Those gains for homeowners are naturally coming at the expense of non-homeowners (in other words, young people), who will continue to respond in the same way that young New Zealanders have for decades: by emigrating abroad, where wages are better and housing is cheaper. It's unclear to me how New Zealand will solve its shortage of skilled labor by bringing in skilled workers from abroad when those workers could go somewhere better instead.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 06:34:14 AM »

Haha, he called the NZ version of Change UK - MOMENTUM?? Cheesy

One may recall that when Jim Anderton left the Labour Party in protest of its right-wing policy agenda, his new party was called NewLabour.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies