New Zealand political discussion thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:53:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand political discussion thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Zealand political discussion thread  (Read 29195 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: April 07, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »

The Health Minister David Clark broke the lockdown rules he helped set and definitely had to know, by first taking a 20km drive to a beach near Dunedin and then going on a mountain bike ride (the government guidelines tell people not to go swimming or engage in activities like mountain biking where people could get lost or hurt and so need help from the health system).  https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/clarke-offers-resign-after-trip-beach This is infuriating and I'm disgusted that politicians like him act so arrogantly that they think the rules don't apply to them. He has been demoted, and Jacinda Ardern said she would have sacked him outright except that she thought it would do more harm than good to replace a health minister in the middle of a pandemic (which seems reasonable).

In a sense, staying on as health minister is like the worst punishment he could get. The PM is damning him to a continued career of complete & utter ridicule, for the sake of continuity in health governance through the crisis. One must assume he's actually playing a good role behind the scenes because he sure as hell hasn't done anything useful that's public-facing.

If he had any honor, he'd seppuku his political career on the spot. But I guess the PM has told him that he doesn't get that privilege. While I would much prefer he got the sack (for optics as much as anything), not getting the sack is hardly being saved. God, wouldn't you wanna just disappear from public life for good?

Anyway, what an utter f**king idiot. Does this guy legit thinks he's better than the citizens who've been following the lockdown? Because not only is this pretty dumb, even for a politician, but it's insulting to the public & the rest of cabinet.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 10:29:29 AM »

There are no words to express how stupid our incumbent President is.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 04:11:46 PM »

He's just trying to bait Jacinda into a response probably Wink

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2020/08/jacinda-ardern-hits-back-at-donald-trump-s-patently-wrong-claim-of-covid-19-surge-in-new-zealand.html
She said it was "patently wrong" and "Obviously I don't think there's any comparison between New Zealand's current cluster and the tens of thousands of cases that are being seen daily in the United States,"

Nice, she called Donald out on his bullsh*t (as we all should).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:05:09 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2021, 10:10:47 PM by brucejoel99 »

Congratulations on your second dose, but I really don't think New Zealand should open to Americans ever again. My country is depraved, and there's a solid floor of 30% that won't get the vaccine no matter what.

You realize that they could just require proof of vaccination status in order to enter the country... right?

Congratulations on your second dose, but I really don't think New Zealand should open to Americans ever again. My country is depraved, and there's a solid floor of 30% that won't get the vaccine no matter what.

That number is much higher than that. Republicans make up about 45% of the country. 100% of Republicans will never get vaccinated for COVID.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 04:58:31 PM »

President Biden praises PM Ardern's leadership during meeting at White House. Love to see it. Ardern also went on Colbert again in this trip and spoke at Harvard.

Inviting him & Evelyn to her & Clarke's wedding was a really cute follow-up to his pre-pandemic offer to officiate.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 09:19:05 PM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies