New Zealand political discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand political discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: New Zealand political discussion thread  (Read 29020 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2021, 08:59:55 PM »
« edited: December 02, 2021, 09:10:47 PM by Pericles »

Today is a good day for the start of the new traffic light system. Just 92 Covid cases were reported today, that's the lowest in a while. Two more health boards and the overall city of Auckland have reached 90% of 12+ double dosed. Nationwide, 93% are first dosed and 87% are double dosed. As there is more of an incentive now, that should keep rising at least a bit. No area of New Zealand has gone into the green light and are unlikely to go there before January 17, once the impact of Covid spreading across New Zealand from Auckland over the holidays has been assessed. Most of New Zealand is at the orange light, with Auckland and low vaccination areas in the North Island being at the red light (Luxon today said that because Jacinda admitted Auckland's healthcare system is not under threat, they should just go straight to green). I'm still learning, but I believe red light means no change for the double-dosed, but some businesses are closed if they don't use vaccine passes and gatherings can't exceed 25 if not everyone is double-dosed. Orange light means no limits on gatherings for the vaccinated, but if not everyone is vaccinated it's only 50 per gathering and the unvaccinated are limited to contactless use of hospitality businesses. Only at green lights do the mask requirements end, and the unvaccinated only then come out of partial lockdown conditions.

2. He seems to have been made in Grandpa Muldoon’s secret lab to be the perfect leader for National (not that he is or isn’t, just that he’s had upper management written all over him since he entered Parliament).

That's basically why he became leader, he has virtually no  record in politics so it's the idea of Luxon that National is counting on. Whether the man lives up to those hopes remains to be seen, though National has been doing so badly that he'd have to be really bad to be the wrong choice and they should have a more respectable loss in 2023.

EDIT: Luxon said/reiterated that National doesn't support the traffic light system, saying that "when we can get to a high level of double vaccination we're good to go and we have to open up the country and get going." Looking at overseas, I'm personally more comfortable with us having some restrictions now, and easing into the new system, but he's making valid points.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #226 on: December 12, 2021, 11:17:28 PM »

All of New Zealand except for Northland will be in the orange light of the traffic light system by New Year's Eve. The orange light I think is normal life for the vaccinated except for an indoor mask mandate, while the unvaccinated are in a partial lockdown (it seems the same as the unused step 3 of level 3). The red light also has social distancing for the vaccinated, while the unvaccinated are further restricted to gatherings of no more than 25 people. That's where Northland is. Overall, with cases falling and around 100 a day, and still hardly any deaths, while our vaccination rate is very good (94% of 12 +first dosed and 89% double dosed), we are in a great place for 2022.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »

Latest poll shows NZ Labour at their lowest for a while, and a modest National "new leader" boost.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2021, 02:16:47 PM »

Latest poll shows NZ Labour at their lowest for a while, and a modest National "new leader" boost.

Which one?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2021, 02:25:05 PM »

Which one?

I assume it's the Roy Morgan poll, right? 36% to Labour, 26.5% to the Nationals and 17.5% for the ACT.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2021, 02:52:35 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2021, 06:16:45 PM by Pericles »

Which one?

I assume it's the Roy Morgan poll, right? 36% to Labour, 26.5% to the Nationals and 17.5% for the ACT.

Oh right. That poll is pretty unreliable and bounces around crazily. I think it would be best just to wait for one of the two major pollsters-Newshub or Colmar Brunton.

EDIT: A new poll by the Taxpayer's Union has shown National rising after the leadership change. They are now at 32.6%, that's up 6 points on a month ago. That change has come from ACT, who are down 5 points to 10.6%, while Labour's support is unchanged on 39.5%, while the Greens are on 10.9%. So that's 63 seats for the left bloc and 53 seats for the right bloc. Luxon is on 20.4% for preferred PM to 39.4% for Jacinda.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #231 on: January 01, 2022, 08:26:14 PM »

I go back to this thread occasionally, and I think about how jealous I am.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2022, 05:16:32 PM »

I go back to this thread occasionally, and I think about how jealous I am.
You can emigrate to New Zealand if you want to, you know.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2022, 05:57:42 PM »

The borders are still closed. They're not going to take refugees, not that I blame them.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2022, 07:19:19 PM »

There is community transmission of the Omicron variant in NZ

As Jacinda had already said the other day, all of New Zealand will move to the red light of the traffic light system. This is not a lockdown but merely limits gatherings to 100 people for the vaccinated, 1m social distancing and keeping existing mask mandates. Most countries we now know don't need one over Omicron, though our health system's capacity is weak so hopefully we can cope without more restrictions. The community cases are 10 people from a household in Nelson (in the South Island), who most likely got the Omicron variant at some big events in Auckland on 13-15 January. So it is unlikely that the outbreak can be stamped out, and instead the government will just try to flatten the curve.

Fortunately, New Zealand has had a great summer, with Delta cases coming way down to under 50 a day. Yesterday, there were only 8 people in hospital across the country with Covid and none in intensive care. The borders were not reopened, however Omicron has surged massively at managed isolation facilities with border cases often being greater than community cases. The delay before our outbreak has given us time to prepare, and to start the booster and kids vaccine rollouts. However, rapid antigen tests are not available to the public yet which could be a big problem. Jacinda did say that once the outbreak gets past 1,000 cases (over 5 times the previous NZ record), testing will change in 'stages' and so will isolation requirements (currently 14 days for cases and 10 for close contacts).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2022, 05:31:51 PM »

The border reopening is going ahead. By the time that it begins, the likely self-isolation period will be 7 days. The first stage is on 27 February when fully vaccinated New Zealanders in Australia can avoid managed isolation, and on March 13 that extends to all fully vaccinated New Zealanders in the world. That is personal to me because I will be able to see my family overseas soon. Tourism will start later, the announcement isn't that useful here because it only sets a date of tourism from visa waiver countries starting by July and from everywhere in the world by October. Jacinda did say it will likely be moved forward, and isolation requirements could also have changed by that point. It is another step in us starting to live with Covid, and while the border controls were the right decision in the past, they will no longer be necessary.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2022, 08:55:16 PM »

This news makes me feel guilty for some reason. I love Ardern, but if I were her, no American would set foot in NZ again.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »

Just as well you aren't her, then.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2022, 10:47:32 AM »

This news makes me feel guilty for some reason. I love Ardern, but if I were her, no American would set foot in NZ again.

I regret having clicked “unhide” just to see this post.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2022, 12:14:36 PM »

To be fair, Ardern's opposition wasn't nearly as rabid and anti-science as Republicans are here.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2022, 03:58:21 AM »

This poll is interesting, because it suggests the government is now more eager to reopen than the public. It was in the field mainly when Omicron was already in the community. 47.9% said that they supported a lockdown in response to 'an Omicron outbreak', with 45.8% opposed, and a whopping 57.8% wanted to keep the border closed to 36.3% who want it open.

As for the party vote, this was a great poll for Labour. Here are the party vote numbers.

So there is a Luxon effect but no Luxon-mania. This would lead to 68 seats for the left-down 7 on 2020, 49 for the right-up 6 on 2020, and 3 for the Maori Party.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2022, 08:33:15 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2022, 12:25:42 AM by Pericles »

Just a quick update on the Covid situation-New Zealand today has recorded 1,160 cases, the first four digit number of the pandemic. A majority of the adult population-52.4%-are now triple dosed. From today, New Zealand is at phase 2 of the Omicron response with looser isolation requirements (10 days for cases), expanded rapid antigen testing and self management of most cases. Also, the outbreak is primarily occurring in Auckland at this stage. As this is 25 days into the Omicron outbreak, it looks like keeping MIQ and the red light restrictions have had some effect.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2022, 08:29:44 PM »

With 6,173 cases, phase 3 of the Omicron response begins at midnight-rapid antigen tests will now be available for the public and only positive cases or household (or 'household-like') contacts of cases will need to isolate. The isolation time is still 10 days.

There has been a 'freedom convoy' inspired occupation of Parliament grounds and nearby areas of central Wellington-such as a university campus. This has been going on for 17 days so far. The police refused to just force the protesters out, and only now have started to stop people parking their vehicles illegally in the occupation zone. These anti-vax nutjobs have been very disruptive and abusive to the public, and this could go on for a while which is very annoying.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2022, 08:21:48 AM »

This makes me feel extremely guilty, since all the freedom convoy protests were inspired by the US.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2022, 09:38:26 PM »

Yesterday, the protesters were evicted from Parliament grounds after 23 days. This became a riot with the playground there set on fire, and objects like bricks were thrown at police. 7 police officers were hospitalised and 87 people have been arrested so far. Here are some pictures of the day. It was an unfortunate outcome, but the police had to get rid of them.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2022, 02:08:55 AM »

The latest poll results, from 1News Kantar, are disappointing. National has taken the lead over Labour, and the Maori Party would hold the balance of power if the numbers were completely accurate. This also feels a bit worse for Labour than the poll leads National had in 2020, because the Labour vote is lower than it has been in a few years at 37% and preferred Prime Minister is not reassuring with Jacinda only leading 34%-25% for Luxon (and a 46%-45% virtual tie in a head to head question)

Covid fatigue would be hurting Labour, especially with 21,015 new cases today and lots of people in isolation at the moment. I don't think that people would necessarily prefer a looser approach though, 60% still support vaccine mandates and other polls have suggested that the current approach polls well especially in comparison to any single alternative. Just like across the world, the cost of living 'crisis' is hurting the government too.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2022, 06:29:33 AM »

Honeymoon finally over then.

Still it was good, really good, while it lasted.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #247 on: March 10, 2022, 12:30:17 PM »

In what way ?.
Arden had the political capital to truly change new Zealand and failed to do so. More tragic than anything else
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2022, 08:40:59 PM »

In what way ?.
Arden had the political capital to truly change new Zealand and failed to do so. More tragic than anything else

Very true.  I regret voting for the Labour party in 2020 immensely.  In hindsight, a lot of the signs were there already- but she'd done a great job with the Christchurch terrorist attack and the Nationals were a joke.  There weren't really any good options.  But yeah, Ardern has got to go.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #249 on: March 10, 2022, 10:59:02 PM »

Why the hell would New Zealanders throw out Ardern? She had the second-best COVID response in the world after China's. Obviously other factors come into play, but she's great at PR (which she deserves, to be sure.) I'm pretty surprised that her poll numbers are going that far down.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies