Eurovision Song Contest 2019 - Tel Aviv, Israel.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:04:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Eurovision Song Contest 2019 - Tel Aviv, Israel.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest 2019 - Tel Aviv, Israel.  (Read 1815 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »

The Eurovision Song Contest 2019 will be the 64th edition of the Eurovision Song Contest. The contest is scheduled to take place in Tel Aviv, Israel, following Israel's victory at the 2018 contest in Lisbon, Portugal with the song "Toy", performed by Netta.

The contest will be held at Expo Tel Aviv, the city's convention centre; the show will consist of two semi-finals on 14 and 16 May, and the final on 18 May 2019. The contest will take place in Israel for the third time, after 1979 and 1999.

Forty-two countries will take part in the contest, with Bulgaria absent for the first time since 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2019
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 03:14:52 PM »

Austria will be represented by 30-year old electropop singer/songwriter PÆNDA this year with the not-yet-released song "Limits":

Portrait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ckZj6XEAk

Song "Paper-thin":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOScfxdR0Sk

Her sound is not all too bad, but I'm not sure if it is the right stuff for the Song Contest ...
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 03:55:51 PM »

Normally I look forward to Eurovision as a fun, over-the-top little music competition.
This year, I'll be taking part in the boycott unless they choose to relocate.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 12:15:12 AM »

well.....I was going to come in to make fun of the racists boycotting it, but that would be really awkward now Smiley
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 04:58:05 AM »

Normally I look forward to Eurovision as a fun, over-the-top little music competition.

Would you have a problem with a Eurovision in Russia? Or is it just the Jewish state that can't win a competition fair and square and get a reward because antisemites hate successful Jews?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 08:12:56 AM »

I could maybe see the point in a boycott if the contest were being held in an area outside the 1949-67 boundaries, but this is even inside the 1947 partition boundary.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »

Would you have a problem with a Eurovision in Russia? Or is it just the Jewish state that can't win a competition fair and square and get a reward because antisemites hate successful Jews?

Yes, absolutely. It shouldn't be held in any state that condones widespread human rights abuses.
I'm not going to address your second question as it's completely asinine.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »

Yes, absolutely. It shouldn't be held in any state that condones widespread human rights abuses.

Oh, what about Belarus then? Serbia? Turkey? How about any sporting event in America, whose airstrikes harm more innocents and who, unlike Israel's army, doesn't warn innocents with flyers telling them to evacuate before airstrikes, an effort which sometimes harms the military goal of killing terrorists who are directly targeting Israeli innocents? For that matter, how about Britain and France and basically any other NATO nation who participate in these strikes?

People like Roger Waters always choose to target the Jewish state for protecting the security of its own citizens. Doesn't matter, though- this movement, indoctrinated by antisemites, is pathetically weak and lacking influence.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »

Oh, what about Belarus then? Serbia? Turkey? How about any sporting event in America, whose airstrikes harm more innocents and who, unlike Israel's army, doesn't warn innocents with flyers telling them to evacuate before airstrikes, an effort which sometimes harms the military goal of killing terrorists who are directly targeting Israeli innocents? For that matter, how about Britain and France and basically any other NATO nation who participate in these strikes?

People like Roger Waters always choose to target the Jewish state for protecting the security of its own citizens. Doesn't matter, though- this movement, indoctrinated by antisemites, is pathetically weak and lacking influence.

Alright, I understand that it is largely futile to debate Israel with you, however just to make it clear where I stand - Should there be a widespread call to nonviolently resist capitalist imperialist and colonial actions taken by the ruling classes of any county to preserve their hegemony (including the United States) whether it be air/drone strikes or other atrocities, you are damn right I would stand with it. It doesn't matter to me which particular country commits such acts, but I would consider it undeniable that Israel is among this group. In my view, rancid human rights violations should not be validated by holding a massive, celebratory entertainment event in any circumstance.

As an aside, murdering innocents is not a passable offense if you warn them first.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »

Anyone taking Eurovision seriously needs to be sent to the Gulag, in my humble opinion.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 08:55:24 PM »

I always root for Moldova, since a Moldovan introduced me to Eurovision and they need every win they can get.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 12:00:21 AM »

I heard Madonna is supposed to be invited to perform during the voting period.
A wealthy patron wants to fund her performance, however, the European Broadcasting Union isn't allowed to accept voluntary donations. So, maybe Madonna is going to forbear from charging a fee... (Just kidding!)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »

Apparently, this is the favourite to represent Portugal:

Conan Osíris: Telemóveis (Mobile Phones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWoA-7kF5R4

I have to be honest, at first i though it was just horrible, but, now, it seems a bit catchy...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 05:25:22 AM »

I honestly had to look up who's running for Germany this year, only to find out that this will be determined on February 22. Haven't heard of any of the seven finalists before too. One of them is a New York-born African-American (at least on her father's side) named Béatrice Thomas, so if she makes it maybe the Americans on this forum will have someone to root for or something...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 08:10:06 AM »

Nice video of our last view performers and our entry this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWvpkq0-K3Q
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 11:33:50 AM »

I honestly had to look up who's running for Germany this year, only to find out that this will be determined on February 22. Haven't heard of any of the seven finalists before too. One of them is a New York-born African-American (at least on her father's side) named Béatrice Thomas, so if she makes it maybe the Americans on this forum will have someone to root for or something...

Our entry will be one of the worst ever. It seems like the authors of that "song" wanted to include as many words as possible. A rating of about 40% says it all. 😒
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 11:42:00 AM »

I heard Madonna is supposed to be invited to perform during the voting period.
A wealthy patron wants to fund her performance, however, the European Broadcasting Union isn't allowed to accept voluntary donations. So, maybe Madonna is going to forbear from charging a fee... (Just kidding!)

For those interested: It has been confirmed that Madonna will perform one of her old songs and a new one as the interval act during the ESC. The Israeli-Canadian billionaire Sylvan Adams is going to pay her 1.15 million € for her performance.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »

In light of the current events in the Gaza Strip, I presume the atmosphere at the ESC will be as bomb-happy as on Ariana Grande's legendary Manchester concert...
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 10:51:18 PM »

Both semi-finals have taken place, and the countries participating in the final are determined as follows:
Besides the six countries who pay for that shit (Germany, the UK, France, Spain, Italy and host Israel), Saturday's finalists are:

Albania
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Greece
Iceland
Malta
Netherlands
North Macedonia
Norway
Russia
San Marino
Serbia
Slovenia
Switzerland
And not forgetting: the European colony Australia. Kate Miller-Heidke was so much rejoicing over her entry into the final that she flew into space:

And as to Switzerland: Let's be honest about that Swiss Bart Simpson on steroids; if he looked like Ed Sheeran, nobody would care two hoots about him.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 06:12:10 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2019, 06:24:43 AM by DavidB. »

Voted for Russia, Switzerland, Azerbaijan, Norway and (twice) for Lithuania. Have to admit that it wasn't just vocal qualities on which I based some of these votes (hello Lithuania and Azerbaijan).

Really hoping Duncan wins.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 07:46:30 AM »

Iceland is pure art. Love it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 06:33:02 PM »

Fun fact: like well-known DJ Afrojack, Dutch Eurovision contestant Duncan Laurence is from PVV and Forum stronghold Spijkenisse, a working-class Rotterdam suburb. The two parties received almost 40% of the vote in the Provincial and Senate election there, compared to just over 21% nationally. Nissewaard is always in the top 10 of best municipalities for the PVV and this time for Forum too. Duncan's name also suggests a socio-economic background that would point towards PVV or Forum support. However, given Duncan's background as an arts student in Tilburg I doubt he himself has such sympathies.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »

For those interested: It has been confirmed that Madonna will perform one of her old songs and a new one as the interval act during the ESC. The Israeli-Canadian billionaire Sylvan Adams is going to pay her 1.15 million € for her performance.

Madonna will be performing her best song and a dull new song tonight.
By the way, Madame X, if you read this, you oughta heed and act on Elton John's advice to you.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »

Anyone taking Eurovision seriously needs to be sent to the Gulag, in my humble opinion.

Agreed. I never did

Anyway I loathe "Pinkwashing" and "Eurowashing". Israel is unkind

Scorn the ridiculous contest.  Criminal Zionists go to Hell. Viva Iceland. Free Palestine! 💪
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 03:21:52 PM »

As much as I like our Dutch neighbours and their taste in music, Norway were robbed. Terrible jury votes that did not deserve to be in the bottom half compared to some of the dross at the top. And a really cheesy beat heavy EDM Eurovision song but still well delivered vocals with a nod to their Saami community. THe kind of guilty pleasure we watch Eurovision (mainly drunk) for.

Anyway, I really hope that the Dutch Tourism board hold up on their commitment to promoting tourism outside of Amsterdam by NOT hosting it in the Arena. FFS give it to Rotterdam that has amazing music culture and diversity within or even some peripheral sh**thole like Helmond, and after the inevitable New Kids Turbo introduction, promote young independent Dutch artists (like they and we have done with our last entries). But Eurovision in Amsterdam will just attract that crowd of drunken "ironic Eurovision" people look for a Martin Garrix tune at the start that the Amsterdammers have had enough of during the rest of the year anyway.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies