Sen. Dawn Addiego (R) is switching parties, will join NJ Senate Dems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:35:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sen. Dawn Addiego (R) is switching parties, will join NJ Senate Dems
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sen. Dawn Addiego (R) is switching parties, will join NJ Senate Dems  (Read 1373 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:40:02 PM »

Dang, she was Republican leadership too as the Deputy Whip.

District 8 - (Atlantic, Burlington and Camden)  Berlin Borough, Eastampton, Evesham, Hainesport, Hammonton, Lumberton, Mansfield (Burlington), Medford, Medford Lakes, Mount Holly, Pemberton Borough, Pemberton Township, Pine Hill, Pine Valley, Shamong, Southampton, Springfield (Burlington), Waterford, Westampton, Woodland
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »

Dang, she was Republican leadership too as the Deputy Whip.

District 8 - (Atlantic, Burlington and Camden)  Berlin Borough, Eastampton, Evesham, Hainesport, Hammonton, Lumberton, Mansfield (Burlington), Medford, Medford Lakes, Mount Holly, Pemberton Borough, Pemberton Township, Pine Hill, Pine Valley, Shamong, Southampton, Springfield (Burlington), Waterford, Westampton, Woodland
Wow, this really interests me. This is a very obama-trump type seat.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 05:49:20 PM »

The senate majority leader looks like he is big trouble. Assuming normal high d turnout in trump era he was to won over menendez voters to win
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 06:03:49 PM »

The senate majority leader looks like he is big trouble. Assuming normal high d turnout in trump era he was to won over menendez voters to win
Sweeney? Nah, he is very safe. He just won his largest margin ever in 2017.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 06:09:54 PM »

A little surprising, because while her district did vote for both Obama and Clinton, it was a Trump-curious district; Went from 53-46 Obama to 49-47 (2535 vote difference) Clinton.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 06:21:15 PM »

Worth adding that the teacher unions donated tons of money and actively campaigned for his Trump-loving opponent.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 07:01:21 PM »

I think Imfromnj means the minority leader Kean (there is some really bad grammar in there). It still remains though that Kean is popular...but he only won by 8% or so in 2017. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 07:08:54 PM »

I think Imfromnj means the minority leader Kean (there is some really bad grammar in there). It still remains though that Kean is popular...but he only won by 8% or so in 2017. 

Yeah I meant minority leader. I mean sure he is popular but this wont have a governors race on the ballot about tax cuts but mostly just educated voters who hate trump and will vote D anywhere. Reminder that menendez won Keans district.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »

Yeah I meant minority leader. I mean sure he is popular but this wont have a governors race on the ballot about tax cuts but mostly just educated voters who hate trump and will vote D anywhere. Reminder that menendez won Keans district.
yeah, and Murphy is pretty popular.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 07:15:24 PM »

I’m pretty sure that the state senate is no up until 2021.
Sir Tiki
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.28, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 07:18:11 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2019, 10:49:20 PM by Sir Tiki »

Fun fact: the last legislator from the 8th district to switch parties was Assemblyman Fran Bodine (Republican to Democrat in 2007), whom Addiego replaced in 2008.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 07:18:41 PM »

I’m pretty sure that the state senate is no up until 2021.

ah yeah im an idiot. Don't really pay attention to NJ state politics. I think the house seat in that legislative seat is also the place of the GOP minority leader in the house and its also Romney Clinton Menendez.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 07:49:33 PM »

A little surprising, because while her district did vote for both Obama and Clinton, it was a Trump-curious district; Went from 53-46 Obama to 49-47 (2535 vote difference) Clinton.

This isn't Trump-curious, it's Clinton-averse. Trump only did 1 point better than Romney.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 08:13:53 PM »

Addeigo will be a moderate Democrat.

The GOP is probably too socially conservative for her and her voters. Her voters are middle class swing voters that Christie Whitman, Chris Christie and John McCain did well in the 08 primary.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 09:17:55 PM »

But New Jersey is trending R!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 09:18:07 PM »

This isn't Trump-curious, it's Clinton-averse. Trump only did 1 point better than Romney.

uh thats basically a d trending/neutral looking district to me

Obama did VERY Good in NJ in 2012 and would have gotten similar numbers were it not for hurricane Sandy.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 12:12:03 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2019, 03:45:14 AM by smoltchanov »

Well, it's, probably, a "matgter of convenience", at least - partially. You really can do more in majority. That's the reason for Gabbard (father) being Democrat in Hawaii legislature, or for a lot of former Democrats (including NOT "true blue conservatives") switching to Republicans in the South (you REALLY can do more in, say, Louisiana state legislature, as pragmatic-conservative Republican, then as  conservatively-leaning Democrat). Though the actual displeasure with party's direction in Trump years could be a catalyst too.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 12:50:29 AM »

This comes as a real shock to me. I think this is pretty much pure horse-trading. She must have been offered something since she's neither a moderate (by NJ standards) nor in a particularly D district. Her race was only so close in 2017 because of the environment and because she voted in favor of the gas tax, which upset a lot of conservative residents.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 03:39:29 AM »

This comes as a real shock to me. I think this is pretty much pure horse-trading. She must have been offered something since she's neither a moderate (by NJ standards) nor in a particularly D district. Her race was only so close in 2017 because of the environment and because she voted in favor of the gas tax, which upset a lot of conservative residents.

I was surprised too. Chris Brown, for example, is much more moderate, and - still Republican. Though his switch would be much more logical. There are other more moderate Republicans in legislature too...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 06:41:00 AM »

How many Republican legislators have switched to Democrats since November?
Seems like the suburban realigning is well underway. 
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »

Not everyone wants to be a member of a cult.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 06:06:41 PM »

With this and the fact that the Democrats may pick up a few more Assembly seats in November, things are looking very very bad for the New Jersey Republican Party
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies