Swedish employment service lays off own staff in first sign of cuts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:51:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Swedish employment service lays off own staff in first sign of cuts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Swedish employment service lays off own staff in first sign of cuts  (Read 595 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: February 01, 2019, 02:35:58 PM »

Hahahahaha, big shoutout to the idiots on the left who made this possible (and a special shoutout to V, who could have blocked all this!).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:37:26 PM »

Please reserve your laughter for far-right parties who pretend to be better defenders of the working class and unemployed than the left while at the same voting for one of the most rightwing budgets the country has seen in decades.
I stand corrected, but, as you yourself say, it seems as if all parties have pretty much supported some of the most right-wing budgets ever: M, KD and SD first, the new government and its tacit or open supporters afterwards.

There are two differences between the left's promise and SD's promise, however. First, SD don't pretend to be economically left-wing, the parties on the left do. Second, at least with SD Swedes have a better chance not to become a minority in their own country. I can't think of any better policy to defend the Swedish working-class.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2019, 07:43:02 PM by DavidB. »

You're the expert on Swedish politics, so if you think all of the other options would be worse from the perspective of a left-winger concerned about economic policy, I'll defer to that. It's of course simply the consequence of the fact that the Alliance and SD have a big majority together.

However, I'm pretty sure an S government with SD outside support (and sure, they would need one more party to abstain) would be able to implement a more left-wing economic policy. I know that sounds crazy in a Swedish context, but immigration and integration policy would still be miles softer than the Danish mainstream endorsed by their SocDems and Liberals. To me, the fact that this is obviously impossible still points at the Swedish left always being willing to concede economic policy as long as the borders remain open.

Yeah you're right, SD doesn't pretend to be economically leftwing. They pretend to be everything to everyone as long as they get to curb immigration and go after muslims in every way they can imagine. Taxes, benefits and economic policy in general are irrelevant to Åkesson & the gang as long as they don't have anything to do with their views on immigration and culture.
Given that mass immigration and its consequences seem to be the first, second, third, fourth etc. problem that Sweden has, I'd be willing to concede a lot on other issues too, one way or the other.

Huh. So the third of the workforce in my last workplace that were either foreign born or had foreign born parents weren't just regular working class Swedes in elderly care like me? I never knew that being a white native born Swede was prerequisite for being Swedish working class, but I guess you live and you learn. I'd better go tell old Gunnel that that nice guy Nemat who helped fix her walker isn't some Swede who happened to be born in Afghanistan, with a second kid on the way and a nice house he just bought with saved money, but a dastardly villain looking to steal her country.

Out of curiousity, do you recommend that I place a burning cross on my neighbour's lawn? After all they are French Catholics and based on your advice I wouldn't want to give the impression that they are in any way allowed to make us Protestant-born Swedes a minority in our own country. Otherwise, if French Catholics aren't the problem when it comes to people who are "making Swedes a minority in their own country", perhaps you could provide some chart consisting of which nationalities should or shouldn't be allowed to enter the country? I hear phrenology is in vogue again amongst some groups, maybe you could base it on that?
The typical left-wing response to anyone arguing for a reasonable immigration policy: "you hate foreigners." Admittedly more rare in the Netherlands these days, as my views are becoming much more common and accepted here than in Sweden. But nobody is saying all or even most immigrants are bad people. Nobody is saying that.

It is really very simple. Immigration has always existed, to a certain extent, but given the sheer amount of people Sweden has taken in over the last thirty years and given disparities between groups' fertility rates, the percentage of ethnic Swedes in Sweden is declining rapidly.

If these immigrants had all been French Catholics, who, as Europeans, are still relatively close to Swedes from a cultural point of view (even if a Dutchman would integrate easier in Sweden than a Frenchman, and a Dane much easier than a Dutchman), they would generally integrate rather quickly and be well-equipped to be on the labour market. They would also be fully assimilated within two or three generations. The same would go for most EU immigrants, including those from Eastern and Southern Europe. So there would not be a real problem.

But they are not. They are mostly African or Middle Eastern, and Swedish policy is aimed at allowing them to maintain their way of life and their value system in Sweden. A value system that is largely incompatible with the Swedish way of life and the social contract that is fundamental to the functioning of the Swedish welfare state.

This, in combination with their high fertility rate, is altering Sweden's character and leads to a decrease in social cohesion. It also leads to higher crime and increased segregation and will undoubtedly make the Swedish welfare state unsustainable in the long run. And what for? Nobody knows.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies