Germany to Close All Remaining Coal Power Plants, Will Rely Mainly on Renewables
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:37:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Germany to Close All Remaining Coal Power Plants, Will Rely Mainly on Renewables
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Germany to Close All Remaining Coal Power Plants, Will Rely Mainly on Renewables  (Read 1566 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:46:37 PM »

Let's see how well this experiment works:

Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants, will rely primarily on renewable energy

You must be logged in to read this quote.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:52:02 PM »

Yeah they were dicking around for ages trying to find an appropriate timeline.

This means, as far as I know, all major "Old Europe" countries - the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands etc - have timetables to eliminate coal. Trickiest thing if the EU wants a comprehensive strategy would be signing Poland up though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 10:13:47 PM »

Long overdue.
republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 04:15:37 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »

Yeah they were dicking around for ages trying to find an appropriate timeline.

This means, as far as I know, all major "Old Europe" countries - the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands etc - have timetables to eliminate coal. Trickiest thing if the EU wants a comprehensive strategy would be signing Poland up though.

My governments seems to be under a delusion that because we still have large amount of coal, we'll get rich by exporting it, despite the fact that

a) Europe and many other countries are is phasing out coal
b) Countries that don't rather buy a cheaper coal, like from the one from China
c) Hell, even we burn more cheap coal from abroad than the other way around
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »

Good.

Austria already phased out coal as part of our energy production mix in the 1990s.

Currently, about 80% of our electricity is produced with renewables such as hydro power and biomass. 0% coal and 0% nuclear energy.

But domestic production is only 40% of total consumption. There's also a lot of imports, especially gas, oil and also some coal and nuclear energy.

When combining both domestic production and imports, renewables make up some 40% (still in the top-3 in Europe), followed by gas and oil. Coal only makes up 5% and nuclear energy only 1%.

In fact, Austria could go 100% renewable, but there's a lot of resistance from locals when it comes to building new reservoirs/dams up on the mountains or wind parks ("the landscape looks fu**ed up then !").
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »

It's actually a good and pragmatic compromise they found.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:51:22 PM »

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »

The new religion. Environmental taxes and expensive energy sources as the new indulgences for our Original Sin of existence.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »

The new religion. Environmental taxes and expensive energy sources as the new indulgences for our Original Sin of existence.

Wow, you've really jumped the shark, haven't you? Weak trolling, 2/10
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 04:25:14 PM »

I wish this were trolling, but in 2019 this is the sad reality.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 04:34:21 PM »

The coal is an environmental disaster and should be phased out. The real question is whether the renewables can sufficiently supply our demand, or we should take another look at the nuclear power.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 04:40:50 PM »

The coal is an environmental disaster and should be phased out. The real question is whether the renewables can sufficiently supply our demand, or we should take another look at the nuclear power.
I agree, coal should be phased out because it is too polluting. Don't need the climate argument/religion for that, though.

And of course it was so smart of Mutti to close down all nuclear power plants because a mass frenzy based on absolutely nothing.
republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 06:13:33 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2019, 04:31:33 PM by Stinkmeaner »

Let me remind you as a fellow conservative, that denying scientific facts and fighting reasonable, inevitable progress has always made us look stupid.
I'm sure you're also aware, that renewable energy is roughly as cheap as fossil fuels, which has been subsidised by billions of taxpayers' money for decades.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »

Someone telling a conservative to stop discussing the actual merits of certain potential policies and just accept "inevitable progress" (lol) is not a conservative. Most non-technological changes over the last century weren't progress at all and probably weren't inevitable either.

As I said, I fully agree with an energy transition from coal to a mix of mostly nuclear + some renewables.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »

Can I please have an explanation for why a post I made was deleted? Is accusing another poster of lying against the TOS now like this is the f**king House of Commons?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 07:42:06 PM »

David himself lying is actually the more palatable of the two explanations for this "climate religion" line he's spouting. The less palatable is that the Koch/supermajors propaganda octopus is extending its tentacles worldwide and thus the international hard right in general is Americanizing on this subject.
republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 04:41:05 AM »

David himself lying is actually the more palatable of the two explanations for this "climate religion" line he's spouting. The less palatable is that the Koch/supermajors propaganda octopus is extending its tentacles worldwide and thus the international hard right in general is Americanizing on this subject.

I think there will always and everywhere be people who are willfully ignorant. What's even worse in my mind are those (politicians) who acknowledge that there is a climate crisis and yet refuse to act on it. Getting out of coal by 2038 is a perfect example of that. Not only that this decision was long overdue, 2030 would have been achievable as well if our politicians were at least a little bit ambitious.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »

Can I please have an explanation for why a post I made was deleted? Is accusing another poster of lying against the TOS now like this is the f**king House of Commons?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 04:28:08 PM »

I've been kind of busy IRL. PMing me wouldn't hurt.

Tony, I'm holding you in too high of a regard to believe you were unable to reply to David's post without going personal right away. I disagree with David like 90% of times (and, living in a country that burns coal like crazy I feel pretty strongly about this particular matter), but there was nothing in his post to justify such reaction. I'd rather us give a poster the benefit of the doubt, assuming his good faith, so "lying" part was unnecessarily aggravating.

Beside, your post wasn't even infracted.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 04:47:35 PM »

There are 4 moderators on this board. Should I PM all 4 of them? Or should I make a whining thread on the Atlas board like everyone else does? I thought it more reasonable to just assume the moderator who deleted the post would eventually check back the thread and have the decency to explain himself.

No you f**king don't. You've made that clear enough in the past. Maybe that's why you don't want me to call out liars?

I don't care what you'd "rather" us do. Is disputing a poster's honesty against the TOS? Is this rule being enforced consistently? If the answer to either question is no, you're in the wrong.

Being "infracted" means nothing since we got rid of a infraction points. All this means is that I barely even noticed the post had been deleted because it doesn't show on the "moderated posts" page.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 05:02:01 PM »

There are 4 moderators on this board. Should I PM all 4 of them? Or should I make a whining thread on the Atlas board like everyone else does? I thought it more reasonable to just assume the moderator who deleted the post would eventually check back the thread and have the decency to explain himself.

You're right. I honestly didn't have time to notice that post.

No you f**king don't. You've made that clear enough in the past. Maybe that's why you don't want me to call out liars?
[/quote]

If you believe that I'm motivated by some sort of personal grudge here, that's your problem. I have no interest in proving to you I'm not a camel.

I don't care what you'd "rather" us do. Is disputing a poster's honesty against the TOS? Is this rule being enforced consistently? If the answer to either question is no, you're in the wrong.
[/quote]

Moderators have some discretion over interpreting and enforcing the rules, and I considered this as disruptive derailment of discussion. You're welcome to email Dave or message one of the modadmins and take it up with them.

But OK, I'll ask for a feeback in the cave to clarify the matter.

Being "infracted" means nothing since we got rid of a infraction points. All this means is that I barely even noticed the post had been deleted because it doesn't show on the "moderated posts" page.
[/quote]

I've meant it wasn't counted as a "violation".
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 12:29:59 AM »

There is no love lost between Antonio and I... especially in a thread that has to do with Climate Change of all issues... but I must whole-heartedly defend his position here.  I'm sure DavidB and the rest of this topic would be quite alright with whatever it is Tony posted.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 01:51:38 AM »

There is no love lost between Antonio and I... especially in a thread that has to do with Climate Change of all issues... but I must whole-heartedly defend his position here.  I'm sure DavidB and the rest of this topic would be quite alright with whatever it is Tony posted.

Thanks for your support! We don't agree on much, but I guess we agree on wanting to keep hearing what the other has to say. Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies