Crisis in Venezuela (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:49:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Crisis in Venezuela (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crisis in Venezuela  (Read 18477 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: January 23, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »

https://twitter.com/vladimirpadrino/status/1088185917410603008

Carefully worded tweet from Venezuela's Minister of Defense. Says the Military won't accept an "imposed" President, but didn't say who the "imposed" President is. Says the Military will defend Venezuela's Constitution and sovereignty. I wouldn't rule out a military coup now.

Reading that tweet, and especially considering the messages he is retweeting, it gives me the opposite impression, that the army is with Maduro
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:56:00 AM »

Just what I needed, an scarlet-avatar user telling me I should be thankful that the military supports the nefarious regime that is the reason I left my country. Thrilling.

I mean, you could argue that Maduro is somehow preferrable to a war in the same way that some believe Saddam or Gadaffi should have been left alone. Then again a war is an extremely unlikely scenario and even if it happened it wouldn't end up like Irak or Lybia.

Of course the ideal scenario is that the army takes control and ousts Maduro. (or that he steps down willingly but that's not going to happen)

Does he have much popular support? Because otherwise the army is the last thing standing before he ends up like Ceaucescu.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem Guiado's proclamation will amount to anything.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies