Crisis in Venezuela (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:01:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Crisis in Venezuela (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crisis in Venezuela  (Read 18417 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: January 23, 2019, 05:57:57 PM »

Looks like a familiar map is starting to form when it comes on who is the legitimate leader of Venezuela:

Green: Support Guaido
Red: Support Maduro

Hope India this time decides to join the US in supporting Guaido
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »

Being neither a world power nor in the Americas, I don't think anyone cares about India's reaction.

I just thought that map which was posted was the Old Cold War map forming again on this issue. Yah No it isnt since Europe hasnt reacted either.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »

Being neither a world power nor in the Americas, I don't think anyone cares about India's reaction.

I just thought that map which was posted was the Old Cold War map forming again on this issue. Yah No it isnt since Europe hasnt reacted either.
Modi has continued to act in neutrality to the regional power-plays in the Middle East as well as with the Koreas, a continuation if you will of India’s policies in this regard with previous administrations. With Venezuela being an natural resource exporter, I can bet good money that the policy will extend over here.

Yes I know but I wanted Modi to change that policy.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 08:44:04 PM »

Imagine TNF’s reaction if he was still posting here lol .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »

U.S. Coups™: Overthrowing Latin American Governments since 1823

Except Maduro is no longer a democratically-elected leader, so even if it was a coup (which it is clearly not, especially with the military still backing Maduro), it would be different.

1,500 international observers would disagree with you.

Maduro is the legitimate leader of Venezuela. This coup attempt by an international, Right-wing, imperialistic alliance is inexcusable; they have no power to recognize an unelected, illegitimate leader of another country. Is Maduro corrupt? Hell yes. He’s also a frequent violator of numerous human and civil rights. No question about that. But, he’s far, far from being among the world’s worst, and yet America, Canada, etc... are perfectly fine not only tolerating, but partnering with considerably worse states, such as Saudi Arabia. The reason behind all of this is obvious: oil. Venezuela has the world’s largest proven oil reserves, yet they aren’t particularly friendly with the world’s imperialistic powers (headed by the US).

Thankfully, Venezuela’s armed forces have already expressed their alliance with Maduro’s legitimate government.

It’s funny how everyone on this forum loses their collective sh** over simply alleged Russian meddling in American elections, scream about the Fascism of Trump and Bolsonaro, then at the same time champion American-Brazilian partnership in an attempted coup. You’re all just massive bootlickers.

This post is so absurd that it reminds me of something TNF would say back in the day
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »

Ro Khanna just tweeted this and according to Glenn Greenwald AOC retweeted it

The entire TYT caucus is a joke

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 06:50:45 PM »

Except Maduro is no longer a democratically-elected leader, so even if it was a coup (which it is clearly not, especially with the military still backing Maduro), it would be different.

Maduro is the legitimate leader of Venezuela. This coup attempt by an international, Right-wing, imperialistic alliance is inexcusable; they have no power to recognize an unelected, illegitimate leader of another country. Is Maduro corrupt? Hell yes. He’s also a frequent violator of numerous human and civil rights. No question about that. But, he’s far, far from being among the world’s worst, and yet America, Canada, etc... are perfectly fine not only tolerating, but partnering with considerably worse states, such as Saudi Arabia. The reason behind all of this is obvious: oil. Venezuela has the world’s largest proven oil reserves, yet they aren’t particularly friendly with the world’s imperialistic powers (headed by the US).

Thankfully, Venezuela’s armed forces have already expressed their alliance with Maduro’s legitimate government.

It’s funny how everyone on this forum loses their collective sh** over simply alleged Russian meddling in American elections, scream about the Fascism of Trump and Bolsonaro, then at the same time champion American-Brazilian partnership in an attempted coup. You’re all just massive bootlickers.

This post is so absurd that it reminds me of something TNF would say back in the day

Prove that all of what I said was wrong.

Maduro is not legitimate in any way . The election was clearly rigged so the fact is that the results are invalid and Guaido is the interim president until new elections can be held
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 08:52:54 PM »

Maduro is not legitimate in any way . The election was clearly rigged so the fact is that the results are invalid and Guaido is the interim president until new elections can be held

Here’s the thing, I can either recognize the statements of 1,500 international observers who oversaw and investigated the Venezuelan election of May 2018 or I can go by the word of a random forum commentor and the totally unbiased claims of the US government and its allies. Decisions, decisions...

In addition, I’d love to know why the legitimacy of Venezuela’s president and the crisis of that country (which, in large, but not exclusive, part stems from American sanctions/embargos) is more important than, for example, the crisis of an undemocratically elected President slaughtering protestors in Sudan, the police state forced upon the Uighurs by the unelected Chinese government, or the unparalleled barbarism against its own people and assassination of an American citizen (along with his torture) by an ally of the US, Canada, etc... whose government has absolutely no claims to democratic legitimacy. Could you please tell me why Maduro’s Venezuela is an enemy deserving of such priority and threats of coups, while America remains allied with some of the worst tyrannical regimes and ignores the horrors of countless African and Asian states?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42304594
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 10:55:45 PM »

Here’s the thing, I can either recognize the statements of 1,500 international observers who oversaw and investigated the Venezuelan election of May 2018 or I can go by the word of a random forum commentor and the totally unbiased claims of the US government and its allies. Decisions, decisions...

In addition, I’d love to know why the legitimacy of Venezuela’s president and the crisis of that country (which, in large, but not exclusive, part stems from American sanctions/embargos) is more important than, for example, the crisis of an undemocratically elected President slaughtering protestors in Sudan, the police state forced upon the Uighurs by the unelected Chinese government, or the unparalleled barbarism against its own people and assassination of an American citizen (along with his torture) by an ally of the US, Canada, etc... whose government has absolutely no claims to democratic legitimacy. Could you please tell me why Maduro’s Venezuela is an enemy deserving of such priority and threats of coups, while America remains allied with some of the worst tyrannical regimes and ignores the horrors of countless African and Asian states?

As stated in your own article, President Maduro didn’t directly ban any parties from participating. The National Constituent Assembly designed those limitations on participation in the election; not Maduro. The opposition doesn’t like the National Constituent Assembly, but it was voted upon by the Venezuelan people and holds no less legitimacy than any other elected body. They created the rules, so talk to the Assembly about that, not Maduro.

Yes, I'm sure Maduro was shocked--shocked I tell you!--that the opposition was denied the opportunity to run against him.

I never suggested that he was shocked. I’m also sure that he wasn’t the least bit upset by it either. I’m not here to claim that Venezuela is some shining example of democracy or that Maduro isn’t a habitual violator of civil rights and that his government is corrupt beyond belief. All of that’s true.

However...

1. 1,500 international observers reported that the May ‘18 elections were reasonably democratic.

2. Much, if not most, of the suffering being experienced by Venezuelans is attributable to the retaliatory economic measures designed to pressure the Maduro government into subordinating itself to the wishes of international capital (as reinforced by the American state). The sanctions and embargoes imposed upon Venezuela have helped to cripple and starve it, along with the concerted effort by private food producers and distributors who have a vested interest in applying pressure to the Maduro regime by starving the Venezuelan people. For example, theBank of England isn’t wanting to return the $1.2bn worth of gold Venezuela placed into it as part of a guarantee on a loan from Germany to purchase food from Turkey to feed its people being starved by sanctions. US/UK are deliberately blocking the ability for Venezuela to import food to feed its people, hoping that the hungry masses will rise up against Maduro.

3. While not every dictatorship or authoritarian regime should be tolerated, the Maduro government is hardly among the worst present in our world. America’s prioritization of Venezuela, beginning with Chavez and his Bolivarian Revolution (which has fallen apart under Maduro’s failed leadership), is rightfully suspicious considering Venezuela is far from unique, far from the worst existing today, that we have allies who’re considerably worse to their people, and, of course, that Venezuela just happens to possess the world’s largest proven oil reserves.

Its just not America though ,  it’s canada as well and most countries in South America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 11:01:51 PM »

As stated in your own article, President Maduro didn’t directly ban any parties from participating. The National Constituent Assembly designed those limitations on participation in the election; not Maduro. The opposition doesn’t like the National Constituent Assembly, but it was voted upon by the Venezuelan people and holds no less legitimacy than any other elected body. They created the rules, so talk to the Assembly about that, not Maduro.

Yes, I'm sure Maduro was shocked--shocked I tell you!--that the opposition was denied the opportunity to run against him.

I never suggested that he was shocked. I’m also sure that he wasn’t the least bit upset by it either. I’m not here to claim that Venezuela is some shining example of democracy or that Maduro isn’t a habitual violator of civil rights and that his government is corrupt beyond belief. All of that’s true.

However...

1. 1,500 international observers reported that the May ‘18 elections were reasonably democratic.

2. Much, if not most, of the suffering being experienced by Venezuelans is attributable to the retaliatory economic measures designed to pressure the Maduro government into subordinating itself to the wishes of international capital (as reinforced by the American state). The sanctions and embargoes imposed upon Venezuela have helped to cripple and starve it, along with the concerted effort by private food producers and distributors who have a vested interest in applying pressure to the Maduro regime by starving the Venezuelan people. For example, theBank of England isn’t wanting to return the $1.2bn worth of gold Venezuela placed into it as part of a guarantee on a loan from Germany to purchase food from Turkey to feed its people being starved by sanctions. US/UK are deliberately blocking the ability for Venezuela to import food to feed its people, hoping that the hungry masses will rise up against Maduro.

3. While not every dictatorship or authoritarian regime should be tolerated, the Maduro government is hardly among the worst present in our world. America’s prioritization of Venezuela, beginning with Chavez and his Bolivarian Revolution (which has fallen apart under Maduro’s failed leadership), is rightfully suspicious considering Venezuela is far from unique, far from the worst existing today, that we have allies who’re considerably worse to their people, and, of course, that Venezuela just happens to possess the world’s largest proven oil reserves.

Its just not America though

So? Do you really think I’m aiming this solely at America?

The person who’s committing a coop is Maduro not Guaido . Besides your point on the international observers,that’s not a good point  as if the opposition is banned from participating it’s not an election
It’s rigged .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 01:40:33 AM »

However...

Its just not America though

So? Do you really think I’m aiming this solely at America?

The person who’s committing a coop is Maduro not Guaido . Besides your point on the international observers,that’s not a good point  as if the opposition is banned from participating it’s not an election
It’s rigged .

Maduro is the sole legitimate leader of Venezuela. Who else could be? The only person who won any kind of election was Maduro.

Maduro also didn’t prohibit any opposition from participating in the May ‘18 election. The National Constituent Assembly prohibited those parties that boycotted the election of the National Constituent Assembly. When they chose to boycott the NCA, the opposition forfeited representation in this constitutional body.
You have got to be kidding me a research paper is not a primary source. Also it clearly has a certain slant to it as the writer is looking to prove their theory. That paper makes numerous claims without proper citations. Opposition parties were disqualified from running which is why they ended up boycotting the election. He had some of thrown in jail as well.
https://www.lapatilla.com/2018/01/23/lideres-opositores-que-no-podran-ser-candidatos-en-proxima-eleccion-presidencial-de-venezuela/

Commies like him will never support US actions against Left Wing dictatorships no matter what unfortunately.

We once had a poster named TNF and he became so commie that he started to defend North Korea and their government and would blame the US and capitalism for everything . It seems like Jacobin is going down TNF’s route because TNF wasn’t always like that but he eventually went down that road and became one and I hope Jacobin doesn’t go further down that route

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 11:47:17 PM »

all The Justice Democrats aka the TYT caucus are horrendous in every way possible
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »

The Gulf War and the Invasion of Afghanistan were absolutely justifiable
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 01:27:00 AM »

The Gulf War and the Invasion of Afghanistan were absolutely justifiable

How? They certainly weren't justifiable under international law

Lmao the UN literally authorized the first gulf war and NATO invoked article 5 in 2001
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 12:36:41 PM »

If the US violated international law by stopping a and driving back a madman who wanted to take over the entire gulf region and if the US violated international law by invading a nation whose  government aided and abetted the terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 then its the international laws that are the problem and the US breaking them didn’t make the wars any less justified .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 09:20:19 PM »

If the US violated international law by stopping a and driving back a madman who wanted to take over the entire gulf region and if the US violated international law by invading a nation whose  government aided and abetted the terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 then its the international laws that are the problem and the US breaking them didn’t make the wars any less justified .

You make America sound so altruistic. Please.
We didnt invade Iraq in Gulf War 1 we stopped after we Liberated Kuwait.

The Government of Afghanistan Aided and Abetted the Terrorists who attacked us on 9/11, how the hell is attacking them not justified.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 11:34:05 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2019, 11:37:54 PM by Old School Republican »

If the US violated international law by stopping a and driving back a madman who wanted to take over the entire gulf region and if the US violated international law by invading a nation whose  government aided and abetted the terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 then its the international laws that are the problem and the US breaking them didn’t make the wars any less justified .

You make America sound so altruistic. Please.
We didnt invade Iraq in Gulf War 1 we stopped after we Liberated Kuwait.

The Government of Afghanistan Aided and Abetted the Terrorists who attacked us on 9/11, how the hell is attacking them not justified.

(1) Re: this whole "liberating Kuwait" nonsense, Saddam Hussein was the same murderous madman before the Gulf War when he was a favoured trading partner and ally of the United States. The invasion of Kuwait was certainly unjustified but is pretty much on par with many atrocities committed by the United States and nowhere near as terrible as others, and the U.S. has similarly either turned a blind eye at best or funded at worst some of the grossest violations of human rights imaginable. So why did we care so much when Hussein invaded Kuwait? Because that meant Iraq now had access to the Persian Gulf, which meant control over strategic ports, as well as control over oil, so that the U.S. could maintain control over oil prices to its own enrichment, which only required that Hussein be pushed out of Kuwait.

(2) Re: the Afghanistan War, the UN Charter provides that all member states must settle their international disputes by peaceful means (which the U.S. conveniently ignores), and no nation can use military force except in self-defense. The bombardment campaigns in Afghanistan were also obviously illegal, both under international law and under domestic law, given that treaties ratified by the U.S. anr therefore part of the supreme law of the land under the Constitution. An invasion of Afghanistan was by no means necessary or justified. The United States could have appealed to the ICJ if there was any evidence that the Taliban were involved in the attacks, set up an international tribunal, cut off diplomatic relations, etc. These are all precedents that follow much more serious cases of international terrorism. And before you argue that the attacks in New York and Washington prompted the use of self-defense, keep in mind the September 11 attacks were criminal attacks, not armed attacks carried out by the military of another nation and thus does not meet the criterion by self-defense found under multiple treaties on international law.

1. He didn’t invade Kuwait before the Gulf War

2. If that’s true then that international law is 100% bs and proves exactly why the US should follow our own laws when there’s a conflict . And by your own standards that makes the Gulf War legal since the UN approved it .

Also 9/11 is a justification  of war because the Tailban aided and abetted it so yes it’s a declaration of war .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 11:50:50 PM »

The CIA should have been sent especially after the Russians and Chinese directly decided to intervene .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 11:54:51 PM »

America has not fought a war that we should have fought for except for maybeeee Afghanistan (and even then not to this crazy extent) since WW2.

The Korean was clearly justified as the North and the Commies were the clear aggressor. The only bad part was the North didnt fall as well which it would have if UN forces stopped after capturing Pyongyang instead of going to the Yalu River.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 11:57:03 AM »

The CIA should have been sent especially after the Russians and Chinese directly decided to intervene .

And this is how the people of Venezuela, in addition to having to endure already s**ty conditions, will bear the burn of foreign powers using them as pawns in another proxy war. This is just depressing.

It already happened when Russia and China decided to go over there to stop what was naturally happening.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 01:17:35 PM »

The CIA The marines/Air Force should have been sent especially after the Russians and Chinese directly decided to intervene .

Um no its the CIA's job to deal with situations like this , sending in the military will only make it seem like a US led invasion rather than than the US just aiding Guaidó in his attempt to remove Maduro
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 01:24:34 PM »

And this is how the people of Venezuela, in addition to having to endure already s**ty conditions, will bear the burn of foreign powers using them as pawns in another proxy war. This is just depressing.

It already happened when Russia and China decided to go over there to stop what was naturally happening.

And should they do what exactly once they get there, shoot up the Venezuelan soldiers?

I'm sure the people would really appreciate a large scale invasion by a foreign country, and not at all back Maduro as pictures of dead soldiers spread (they are all still Venezuelan) lol

I said the CIA not the military lol
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2019, 05:50:58 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2019, 05:54:21 PM by Old School Republican »

what evidence is there that Guaidó is a puppet of someone like Bolton?  He seems to have become active in 2007, do you think Bolton was puppeting him then, or maybe the Obama administration started the puppet?  Or did it start later?  What's the puppet strings?  money? does Bolton have Guaidó's wife in a basement somewhere?  "promises" of support?  Is this just a "gut" thing for you?

Remember many posters on the far left prefer Castro to Reagan

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=253475.0

Along with Bernie as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTKpMh5jQI

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies