AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:25:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]
Poll
Question: Will Doug Jones get a higher or lower vote share than Heidi Heitkamp did in 2018?
Higher

Lower

About the same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 273

Author Topic: AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville  (Read 55294 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: October 03, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »

Hilarious Doug Jones ad that ran at halftime of the Bama/A&M game.

The best part of the ad was when they brought up how Tuberville only moved to Alabama 18 months ago. Relatedly, I'm a college football fan (of an ACC team, so take that information as you like) and I completely forgot about Tuberville's time at Texas Tech and Cincinnati. He went a combined 49-39, which is pretty average (with his best seasons being his first two at Cincinnati where he went 9-4 in both).
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #701 on: October 03, 2020, 11:39:35 PM »

Hilarious Doug Jones ad that ran at halftime of the Bama/A&M game.

That ad is more #populist than Sherrod Brown or Steve Bullock.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #702 on: October 05, 2020, 10:54:09 AM »

Knowing the religiosity of Alabama, the clip of Tuberville shouting "go to hell" is probably the most damaging part of this ad.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #703 on: October 12, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »

This shouldn’t surprise anyone (I know it will, though), but both parties' internal numbers are showing a closer race here than recent public polling has indicated.

In a state President Donald Trump carried with 60% of the vote in 2016, and where almost two-thirds of voters cast straight party-line ballots, both Democrats and Republicans say the race between Jones and former Auburn University football coach Tommy Tuberville will be close, despite Tuberville having a 15 percentage point lead in polls. The seat may be the GOP’s best pick-up opportunity as the party fights to defend other seats, including in Georgia and South Carolina, and maintain Senate control.

Jones has a massive financial advantage and seems to be trying his best to stage an under-the-radar comeback (obviously helped by the Democratic tidal wave/record Democratic enthusiasm):

But even with the odds stacked against him, Jones has outraised Tuberville by a wide margin. Neither candidate has done much campaigning, but strategists say Jones’ barrage of ads — 10 in September alone — shows the campaign is playing to win. The Cook Political Report and Inside Elections both rate the race as “leans Republican,” meaning they see it as competitive.

Alabama Democratic strategist Zac McCrary said Jones’s fundraising advantage has helped him be able to define Tuberville. Alabama voters don’t necessarily want a candidate as inexperienced or as tied to Trump as Tuberville, McCrary said. Republicans, on the other hand, say criticizing Trump likely won’t go over well given how popular the president is in the state.

“The 2017 conventional wisdom was no matter how bad of a candidate Roy Moore was, Democrats just couldn’t win a U.S. Senate race in Alabama,” McCrary said. “Some of those people are saying Democrats just can’t win reelection in a presidential election year. Jones still has a chance to go in there real strong and surprise people.”

Genius strategy from Tuberville's campaign here (not like Doug Jones' voting record/statements provide hilariously easy ad material or anything):

Tuberville’s only three ads have focused on his personality as a coach and how he supports veterans and Trump.

https://about.bgov.com/news/republicans-arent-writing-off-doug-jones-neither-is-jones/
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #704 on: October 12, 2020, 11:51:22 AM »

I’ll be proud of Jones if he can get more than 40%
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #705 on: October 12, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »

You’re setting the bar ridiculously low. There’s no way Jones gets worse than 43%/44% in this environment against someone like Tuberville. It’ll probably be a single-digit race.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #706 on: October 12, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »

If Jones somehow wins this... that would make my November almost as much as Trump losing would
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #707 on: October 13, 2020, 01:57:13 AM »

Rip Jones not all heroes wear capes

Shameful. Hasta luego, loser

To the irony ore mine, stat!
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #708 on: October 16, 2020, 11:55:43 PM »

Doug Jones = Real Life Atticus Finch (highest compliment you can give an Alabama lawyer)

"Real courage is when you know youre licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #709 on: October 17, 2020, 06:35:10 AM »

I wonder if some of the money wasted on McGrath could help Doug rn..

Jones has $8.7 million in cash on hand, compared to Tuberville’s $550,000, according to the most recent Federal Election Commission filings. A majority of his fundraising has come from large individual contributions, many from out-of-state. He raised $1.6 million from donors in California and $1.3 million from New York.

Jones has spent $9 million so far on advertising, according to Advertising Analytics, running ads blasting both Trump and Tuberville and focusing on the Birmingham and Mobile markets. The Democratic-aligned Duty and Honor PAC has also spent about $500,000 on ads for Jones.

https://about.bgov.com/news/republicans-arent-writing-off-doug-jones-neither-is-jones/
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #710 on: October 17, 2020, 09:07:28 AM »

Doesn’t seem like AL is all that ‘inelastic’ and ‘polarized’ in the private polling of the Alabama Democratic Party.

TUSCALOOSA. Ala. — Senator Doug Jones (D- Alabama) claimed the lead enjoyed by his opponent, former Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville has nearly evaporated with less than three weeks remaining before election day citing a new poll he expected to be published in the coming days.[...]

Alabama Democratic Party chairman and State Representative Chris England (D - Tuscaloosa) told supporters the party's internal polling showed Jones polling within the margin of error.

https://abc3340.com/news/election/doug-jones-claims-senate-race-tightening-denies-biden-white-house-speculation

Yeah, maybe just a case of yet another losing campaign expressing unwarranted optimism, but I do think a lot of people are underestimating Jones even after 2017. It’s not an easy race by any means, but I’d be shocked if he lost by double digits in this environment. I’m expecting a margin similar to MO-SEN 2018 at this point.
Alabama is inelastic and polarized.. no amount of "internal polling" mainly used as a apparatus for fundraising, will change that electoral fact.

Point me towards a independent pollster which has shown this race within single digits.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #711 on: October 17, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »

If Jones can lose respectably (no more than like 8 points) and not get Blanched, with his voting record the past three years, that will be an impressive performance.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #712 on: October 26, 2020, 10:19:22 AM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #713 on: October 26, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »

Who is this woman?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #714 on: October 26, 2020, 03:59:49 PM »

Who is this woman?
It's Doug Jones' wife. It's a good strategy to use her to tell people he's a moderate on abortion. They need to get that across or else some people will never vote for him but it makes it an easier pill to swallow for pro-choice people if a woman is the one explaining his position. Safe R race but thought I would share this ad.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #715 on: October 26, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »

Who is this woman?
It's Doug Jones' wife. It's a good strategy to use her to tell people he's a moderate on abortion. They need to get that across or else some people will never vote for him but it makes it an easier pill to swallow for pro-choice people if a woman is the one explaining his position. Safe R race but thought I would share this ad.

I see. To think that if Alabama were still as inclined to vote for downballot Democrats as it was in 1990, the year when Jones' mentor and former boss, Howell Heflin, won his last term in the Senate, Jones would be on his way to a landslide reelection against the undistinguished Tuberville. But instead, he's going to lose, for no other offense but that he has a D next to his name.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #716 on: November 26, 2020, 12:05:45 AM »

You’re setting the bar ridiculously low. There’s no way Jones gets worse than 43%/44% in this environment against someone like Tuberville. It’ll probably be a single-digit race.
lol it's like democrats just make up their internal polls, Jones couldn't even hit 40 he only got 39.7%
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #717 on: November 26, 2020, 12:13:19 AM »

lol it's like democrats just make up their internal polls, Jones couldn't even hit 40 he only got 39.7%

That was just IndyRep being a blowhard. He never learns.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #718 on: November 26, 2020, 12:16:43 AM »

True. Still though Jones's internals showed a close race and I warned you about how bad internal polls are and for democrats they were really bad
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #719 on: November 26, 2020, 12:19:54 AM »

lol this forum consistently thought this race was closer than Colorado. It was never going to happen.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #720 on: November 26, 2020, 12:49:24 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2020, 12:55:49 AM by MT Treasurer »

lol Pericles

Projecting a little here, huh? "He never learns" is also incredibly ironic coming from someone with your record of ridiculously biased (in favor of Democrats) predictions and comments.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that this race turned out to be a blowout. Red state voters have a nasty habit of getting conned by Democratic Senate candidates, glad it didn’t happen this year. In the kind of environment the polls/data points were forecasting, this race still would have been at least somewhat closer, however, and I don’t think GOP/Democratic strategists involved in both campaigns were lying when they said the race was much closer than public polling was showing at that time. You can mock me for predicting a (high) single-digit Tuberville win, but apparently their own internals didn’t indicate that the race was less competitive than CO. Either way, it’s always wiser to lower your expectations and take nothing for granted than to get complacent and assume that partisanship will always win out, especially in red states.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #721 on: November 26, 2020, 01:43:59 AM »

lol Pericles

Projecting a little here, huh? "He never learns" is also incredibly ironic coming from someone with your record of ridiculously biased (in favor of Democrats) predictions and comments.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that this race turned out to be a blowout. Red state voters have a nasty habit of getting conned by Democratic Senate candidates, glad it didn’t happen this year. In the kind of environment the polls/data points were forecasting, this race still would have been at least somewhat closer, however, and I don’t think GOP/Democratic strategists involved in both campaigns were lying when they said the race was much closer than public polling was showing at that time. You can mock me for predicting a (high) single-digit Tuberville win, but apparently their own internals didn’t indicate that the race was less competitive than CO. Either way, it’s always wiser to lower your expectations and take nothing for granted than to get complacent and assume that partisanship will always win out, especially in red states.

Yes, I've made my some bad predictions, just as I've made some great ones. I'm not saying you're an idiot who gets everything wrong. I'm saying you're not as smart as you think you are-you always treat your predictions with 100% certainty and much, much less often are actually right. You should treat other posters and opinions with more respect.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #722 on: November 26, 2020, 06:29:20 AM »

The Rs benefitted of the anti Russian candidate Tuberville, but Jones was gonna lose anyways
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #723 on: November 29, 2020, 02:54:06 PM »

Vandy has fired head coach Derek Mason. Current Senator-elect Tommy Tuberville could never figure out how to beat Vandy, and I'm sure they have some deep-pocketed alums who could put together a tempting offer for him. Would be an exciting opportunity to return to the SEC, and would require a special election in Alabama.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies