Italian PM Di Maio blames migrant crisis on European imperialism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:35:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian PM Di Maio blames migrant crisis on European imperialism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Italian PM Di Maio blames migrant crisis on European imperialism  (Read 810 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-italy/france-summons-italian-envoy-after-di-maios-comments-on-africa-idUSKCN1PF1QE
You must be logged in to read this quote.
The fact that these words are coming from M5S bigwig Di Maio of all people is unexpected, to say the least. I suppose that any broken clock is right once in a while.

The CFA Franc does stifle the economic security of these countries, forcing them to keep their colonial-aged economy for France. Why then do the people don’t do anything to remove this agreement?  Because France, under the guise of counter-terrorism, props up these regimes to keep the natural resources cheap, thus robbing the voice of the people.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 08:56:59 PM »

I'm not an expert on the topic and I'm not saying France isn't milking its former colonial legacy for all it's worth (it is) but color me skeptical that all of those countries would be keeping the Franc CFA if it was such a bad deal for them. I can see pretty obvious advantage for a developing country to be using a currency that's stable and backed up by the treasury of a developed one. That might have some negative long-term consequences for these countries' development, but there's also a clear short- and medium-term benefit.

Also, not that negates what you said about propping up corrupt regimes, but I should point out that France also prevented Mali from becoming another ISIS and most people there is pretty grateful for that as far as I can tell.

Di Maio is talking out of his ass, as he always does.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 08:32:55 AM »

The irony is that disproportionately most African refugees come from Eritrea. Which European country held that country?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »

I'm not an expert on the topic and I'm not saying France isn't milking its former colonial legacy for all it's worth (it is) but color me skeptical that all of those countries would be keeping the Franc CFA if it was such a bad deal for them. I can see pretty obvious advantage for a developing country to be using a currency that's stable and backed up by the treasury of a developed one. That might have some negative long-term consequences for these countries' development, but there's also a clear short- and medium-term benefit.

Also, not that negates what you said about propping up corrupt regimes, but I should point out that France also prevented Mali from becoming another ISIS and most people there is pretty grateful for that as far as I can tell.

Di Maio is talking out of his ass, as he always does.
The CFA Franc prioritizes exports of natural resources to France instead of inter-regional trade, hampering regional and domestic development in the African Francophone sphere. It has been proven again and again, from the DRC to Iraq, that such an export reliant economy with little diversity, especially the need for human capital, is a hindrance to the stability and independence from outside and inner pressures.

Be wary of French interventions, as in most cases the payment to France is unquestionable loyalty. Look no further than Cameroon using their counter-terrorism aide to instead stave off popular uprisings in Ambazonia, or the removal of anti-French resistance in the Ivory Coast. Stability is so far limited in definition to French leaders to mean the continued subservience of the African Francophone region.

Don’t confuse my intentions, Di Maio is talking out of his gassy behind, but he has a point in this case.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:32:46 PM »

It had to happen, I suppose. Woke fascism.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »

Yes, the whole Françafrique thing is incredibly dubious, but on the whole, it was for the best the Hollande went into Mali (and on a semi-related note, intervening in Sierra Leone was probably one of the single best things Blair ever did). Life can be ambiguous like that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies