Why is Corbyn still leading Labour? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:09:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why is Corbyn still leading Labour? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Corbyn still leading Labour?  (Read 2649 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« on: January 19, 2019, 01:41:43 PM »

Because Labour voters like him. It's not rocket science.

Look, I'm deeply conflicted on the guy myself, but the establishment dismisses his political talent at its own peril.

He really is the left's Trump in every way, including his coarse populist appeal. But that always comes at the cost of independent voters.

I was genuinely scared he could take power for a while, but his embrace of Brexit and his unwillingness to help the cause of a second referendum is really going to hurt him in an election. He's not the clear alternative he needs to be anymore.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 03:08:21 PM »

Because Labour are doing well in the polls under him?

They're consistently trailing one of the most incompetent UK governments in history.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:40:08 AM »

Because much of the modern left is ok with anti-Semitism as long as they're promised free stuff

What evidence do you have that Corbyn is an anti-Semite?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/13/year-denials-jeremy-corbyn-changed-story/
also the fact that he has invited holocaust deniers to parliament, endorsed politicans who have called for the eradication of Israel, and surrounded himself with anti-semites his entire career

I'm not aware of him ever actually inviting Holocaust deniers to Parliament, nor do you list any names. The only incident that I am aware of is him and another Labour MP attending an event of a speaker who was later revealed to be a Holocaust denier, and Corbyn stated that had he known at the time he would not have attended. Regarding the wreath-laying controversy, he has no known connection with the terrorist group in question, and his mere attendance at a ceremony of this nature is not evidence enough that he himself is an anti-Semite, given that it doesn't actually entail an endorsement of the Munich attacks, and that the ceremony was not specifically devoted to that attack anyway.

Criticism of Israel is not the same as anti-Semitism, and whatever the extent of it may be in the Labour Party, your sources don't reveal much

Corbyn's well-documented, obsessive antisemitism is not ambiguous, nor is it a subject of debate. It's a key part of the party you choose to endorse. Either you endorse it, or you've simply decided it's an acceptable price to pay. Much like Trump's racism, there's no separating the two. Live with it.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »

Amending my response.

Because a lot of people like base, uncontained antisemitism and are willing to support him because of it, not in spite of it.

Every wondered where the BNP went? They're woke now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies