If Kerry picked Gephardt, would he have won Missouri?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:26:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Kerry picked Gephardt, would he have won Missouri?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Kerry picked Gephardt, would he have won Missouri?  (Read 2181 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:23:41 PM »

If John Kerry had picked Dick Gephardt, the former House Democratic Leader, the man he had wanted to pick all along before picking John Edwards, as his running mate, would they have won Missouri?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 01:39:31 AM »

If John Kerry had picked Dick Gephardt, the former House Democratic Leader, the man he had wanted to pick all along before picking John Edwards, as his running mate, would they have won Missouri?

He wouldn't have won MO, he would have improved Kerry's margins in IA, NM and OH and WI
SInNYC

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »

He wouldn't have won MO, he would have improved Kerry's margins in IA, NM and OH and WI

I am inclined to agree though I might replace IA with NV. But if so, its interesting that the D party leaders had a major impact on the 3 most recent open elections due to perceived electability, and ended up making the wrong choice 2 of those times. In 2004, they made Kerry pick Edwards. In 2008, Reid drafted/encouraged Obama because he thought Hillary unelectable. And 2016 of course was a concerted effort to clear the field  at first and later make sure the unelectable Bernie didn't win after his early ties/wins.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2019, 10:17:36 AM by Lechasseur »

I am inclined to agree though I might replace IA with NV. But if so, its interesting that the D party leaders had a major impact on the 3 most recent open elections due to perceived electability, and ended up making the wrong choice 2 of those times. In 2004, they made Kerry pick Edwards. In 2008, Reid drafted/encouraged Obama because he thought Hillary unelectable. And 2016 of course was a concerted effort to clear the field  at first and later make sure the unelectable Bernie didn't win after his early ties/wins.

Yeah, and I also think in the last 20 years the Democrats arguably lost 3 times due to the choice of running mate (running mates matter in very close elections, of which we've had 3 in the last 20 years):

2000: Al Gore would have probably won had he picked somebody like Bob Graham instead of Lieberman. Although Gore was just a weak candidate, period. With how well the country was doing in 2000, the Democrats should have won that election. Gore lost because of Gore (although Bush was probably the GOP's most formidable nominee since Reagan).

2004: I think Kerry would have won had Gephardt been the running mate. He would have brought more to the ticket than Edwards.

2016: Tim Kaine was a very weak running mate who brought nothing to the ticket. Hindsight is 20/20, but even with the risk of losing the OH Senate seat, I think Hillary would have won with Sherrod Brown as her running mate. Also, Hillary was just a very weak nominee. I think Biden would have beaten Trump, and possibly Bernie too.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 07:38:14 PM »

I think he would have won the election (Missouri + Iowa, or Ohio alone, would have put Kerry over the top).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 09:27:37 PM »

Gephardt was more hated by anti-war people. It was bad enough that the ticket already had 2 people who voted for the Iraq war on it.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 07:48:02 PM »

Iowa and New Mexico could stay Democratic (they both narrowly voted Gore in 2000) and if Gephardt being on the ticket gets the unions out, that could make the difference and flip that, making Dubya a one termer.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies