HB 1364: Wage Insurance Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:37:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 1364: Wage Insurance Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HB 1364: Wage Insurance Act (Passed)  (Read 3216 times)
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2019, 04:49:03 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2019, 01:08:02 PM by Esteemed Speaker Jimmy7812 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

People's House of Representatives
Passed in the House of Representatives 5-4-0-0

[/quote]

Sponsor: HenryWallaceVP
House Designation: HB 1364
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »

HB 1364 is now on the House floor. Debate on this legislation has begun and shall last for no less than 72 hours.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 05:33:10 PM »

Ima jump in real quick before it comes up and say based upon my reading this merely authorizes a program. It does not appropriate money. Therefore this bill is budget neutral and satisfies Paygo. Ultimately funding will still have to be appropriated by Congress at a later date, but Paygo is met by this bill as currently worded.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:20:40 PM »

So this is a legal bill, but is there a reason to have this when social security already exists?
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 06:58:33 PM »

So this is a legal bill, but is there a reason to have this when social security already exists?

There is indeed. Welfare is a bare minimum, and I believe that it is only right that people get the money they deserve after being laid off, especially considering that many firings are entirely without justification. Also, since many of these layoffs occur due to trade deals negotiated by the government, the government has an obligation to look after people who those trade deals leave behind.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:52:23 PM »

Did we remove unemployment benefits in Atlasia? How is this different? I also would think we need to define "laid off" in this bill as being fired without cause.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »

Did we remove unemployment benefits in Atlasia? How is this different? I also would think we need to define "laid off" in this bill as being fired without cause.

My apologies, I accidentally made some errors while writing the (admittedly rushed) first draft of this bill. I'm going to edit the bill to make its differences between UI more clear, as well as introduce a definition of "laid off".
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »

Do any other representatives have anything to add?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »

The sponsor stated that he is going to introduce an amendment which has yet to be seen, so if a motion to vote is made now I will object.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 08:05:02 PM »

The sponsor stated that he is going to introduce an amendment which has yet to be seen, so if a motion to vote is made now I will object.

No motion for a final vote was held. And the changes were already included in the House Legislation Introduction thread.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 10:00:10 PM »

No motion for a final vote was held. And the changes were already included in the House Legislation Introduction thread.

Indeed. In effect, I modified the bill so that instead of being basically unemployment insurance, the insurance is instead given to make up the difference in wages when a lower-paying job is accepted.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 11:02:21 PM »

In the future, representative, you should post amendments in the appropriate thread, and the speaker should have notified us about the modification. Also, as the current Secretary of Internal Affairs, I don't exactly appreciate being shoveled the responsibility of funding this program and "determining the cost" without any idea of what I'm actually supposed to do. It shouldn't be expected for people to support you legislation if you can't fund it and have to pass it off to somebody else to do it, I'm not even sure if that counts as funding according to paygo, and I will certainly have to oppose it if you don't at least make it more clear what I'm supposed to do, and I would encourage my colleagues not to support such laziness in our congress.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 11:42:34 AM »

Sis snapped!
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 11:56:09 AM »

Huh
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »

In the future, representative, you should post amendments in the appropriate thread, and the speaker should have notified us about the modification. Also, as the current Secretary of Internal Affairs, I don't exactly appreciate being shoveled the responsibility of funding this program and "determining the cost" without any idea of what I'm actually supposed to do. It shouldn't be expected for people to support you legislation if you can't fund it and have to pass it off to somebody else to do it, I'm not even sure if that counts as funding according to paygo, and I will certainly have to oppose it if you don't at least make it more clear what I'm supposed to do, and I would encourage my colleagues not to support such laziness in our congress.

The reason that this passes paygo is that this is only authorizing the program. There are lots of federal programs that exist but aren't funded. This bill would create the program with $0 funding and presumably fund it either in the budget or a separate future bill.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 02:15:56 PM »

Does anyone else have anything to add? If not, then I will motion for a final vote.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 02:29:59 PM »

This bill really does nothing to solve real problems.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »

This bill really does nothing to solve real problems.

Then do you have any suggestions to improve it? You can always propose an amendment if you find the current bill unsatisfactory.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 02:31:41 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2019, 02:36:28 AM by Coastal Elitist »

I don't think this is necessary. I don't see why someone who loses their 50,000 a year job and gets a 45,000 a year job afterwards is entitled to recovering the difference. We already have social security.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 01:53:50 PM »

I don't think this is necessary. I don't see why someone who loses their 50,000 a year job and gets a 45,000 a year job afterwards is entitled to recovering the difference. We already have social security.

It is indeed necessary. What may seem like a small sum to you can have large impacts on people's lives. Since social security does not cover wage losses due to changing jobs, and since many of these job changes result in government-negotiated trade deals, the government has a responsibility to repay wages to those left behind by such trade deals.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 08:55:58 PM »

Do any other representatives have anything to add?
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »

I move for a final vote.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »

Representatives have 24 hours for objections to a final vote.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 09:11:34 PM »

I object due to the continued lack of information regarding what I'm supposed to do with this. "1. The Department of Internal Affairs shall be responsible for determining the cost of the fund." still doesn't make any damn sense because nowhere in the bill does it mention a price. So if you want this to be implemented, you ought to fix that, because I'm the one who is supposedly in charge of funding your bill (still lazy) and currently I don't understand what it's asking me to do.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »

I object due to the continued lack of information regarding what I'm supposed to do with this. "1. The Department of Internal Affairs shall be responsible for determining the cost of the fund." still doesn't make any damn sense because nowhere in the bill does it mention a price. So if you want this to be implemented, you ought to fix that, because I'm the one who is supposedly in charge of funding your bill (still lazy) and currently I don't understand what it's asking me to do.

Yeah, as written, your assigned job would be to determine what that price is so that future appropriations can be made. Although I don't see why this is assigned to the Dept. of Internal Affairs rather than the GM Department, since the GM Department is the one that usually takes care of cost analyses.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies