Filming accused
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:35:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Filming accused
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Filming accused  (Read 1271 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »
« edited: January 14, 2019, 09:44:16 AM by Meclazine »

Given the intensity of media now, should accused members of your population be filmed before being found guilty?

There are so many cases, Weinstein, Spacey and a lot in my local area where people lose everything before going to trial.

I am not saying Weinstein and Spacey are innocent, but for those that are, the media coverage is worse than the possible punishment

Let's say a woman get's accused of bestiality. The media coverage alone will stay on Google forever.

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/jenna-louise-driscoll-bestiality-case-adjourned/2742904/

Infinitely tainted.

This Google punishment is 10,000 times worse than the actual punishment.

And it is difficult to remove.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5285479/Men-want-Google-stop-linking-names-past-crimes.html

In basic terms, imagine as an innocent person putting up with cameras in your face and an online presence that never goes away.

We had a case today in Perth where the son of a family was jailed for 11 months for a brutal crime.

But the media are hassling the family after judgement looking for a story.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-14/media-attacked-outside-court-as-kangaroo-torturer-jailed/10713918?pfmredir=sm

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/court-justice/supporters-of-convicted-kangaroo-torturer-lash-out-at-media-outside-joondalup-magistrates-court-ng-b881073739z

I am not arguing that these people are innocent, and i dont condone violence towards the media, but why are the cameras there?

The guilty are held in custody and the innocent walk out the front door.

Either way, the presence of cameras is going to provoke people who are innocent.

I just think Google and the media are destroying lives.

The cameraman in that story is laughing the whole time. He knows the Google chain of events is going to hurt this family. He is making it.

To protect the innocent, court room and outside media should be minimized.

The law needs to catch up with technology.

If every convict in Australia from 1790's had a Google profile, then hundreds of  thousands of people would be unecessarily shamed.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »

In Poland people suspected of/charged with crimes, but not convicted usually have their names withheld from the public.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 05:27:28 AM »

I wrote to the Perth's Magistrates Court to voice my displeasure at seeing a family acosted by smiling cameramen in the darkest hour of their family history.

An immediate reply:

"Dear Mr Lazine,

Thank you for the feedback you provided to the Department of Justice (the Department) on 15 January 2019.  Feedback submitted is treated seriously and confidentially, and is used to maintain and improve the quality of services provided by the Department.

I have considered your comments and thank you for them.  An integral feature of our democracy and the rule of law in Australia is the ability of the media to communicate the decisions of the Court to the population at large.  Indeed, when arriving at an appropriate sentence for a crime, judges and magistrates must not only consider the need to deter the offender themselves from re-offending, but also must consider deterring others in the community from offending.  The latter can only reasonably be expected to be achieved with the assistance of a free media.   Accordingly, Courts in Australia have long accepted the need for the media to report on cases that are of interest to the public.  

That said, courts do not typically permit employees of media organisations to confront parties to cases while on court property and media organisations therefore stand beyond the boundary of a court’s property line while waiting for litigants or their families to emerge following the conclusion of proceedings.  This means that even if the court did not support the coverage of certain cases on the part of media organisations, there is little it could do to prevent journalists from waiting outside of courthouses.  

Thank you again for your comments."
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 08:36:47 AM »

In Poland people suspected of/charged with crimes, but not convicted usually have their names withheld from the public.

Yeah that's how it is in France too, and also how it should be, imo
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:46:50 PM »

There was a pretty big outrage over the case of Dominique Strauss-Kahn in 2011. I specifically remember the news (entertainment) channels explaining incredulity of mainland Europeans over the concept of a perp walk. Probably a top 5 example of how backwards America is.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »

And the inevitable charge now against the relative.

https://thewest.com.au/news/court-justice/mark-musa-bhatti-pleads-not-guilty-to-alleged-attack-on-media-outside-joondalup-magistrates-court-leslie-thomas-griffin-admits-role-ng-b881096793z

I feel that sticking a camera in front of a pissed off bikie when their friends have just been put in jail is entrapment.

Filming innocent relatives and friends is a ridiculous invasion of privacy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »

In Driscoll's individual case, her other convictions - which include biting a child - ensure that she's tainted regardless of this case's outcome.

But I like the overall question you are raising and agree with it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies