Tim Scott: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on racism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:01:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tim Scott: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on racism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Tim Scott: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on racism  (Read 2970 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »

Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC), who is Black, wrote an op-ed relating to Rep. Steve King's (R-IA} comments and the GOP's frequent silence on White supremacists like King:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

SOURCE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/2019/01/11/tim-scott-republicans-can-no-longer-be-silent-bigotry/
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:42:52 PM »

Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC), who is Black, wrote an op-ed relating to Rep. Steve King's (R-IA} comments and the GOP's frequent silence on White supremacists like King:

SOURCE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/2019/01/11/tim-scott-republicans-can-no-longer-be-silent-bigotry/

Scott is exactly right. People like Steve King have no place in the Republican Party, no place in Congress, and no place in our politics.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:45:08 PM »

Well, Donald Trump is “like King,” and he’s exactly who Republicans want. So...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:45:52 PM »

I kinda wish Parties here had the same power parties have in other countries where they have the power to stop them from running under their party banner.

But in the meanwhile he should be stripped of all his committee assignments and then primaried in 2020 and if that doesnt work a Republican should run as an independent to make sure he loses
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:47:42 PM »

Tim Scott should be president someday.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:36 PM »

same party base nominated Romney and McCain.

Also the media is to blame for Trump as much as the base is. They promoted him non stop gave him all that free media and in today world thats a huge reason why people win
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:45 PM »

The Republican Party elected Donald Trump as President of the United States.

Therefore, they're a party of racists.   Deal with it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 10:41:01 PM »

Why say "someday?"
You already have the equivalent of what Tim Scott is, right now, with the Orange Buffoon.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 11:23:17 PM »

Scott is exactly right. People like Steve King have no place in the Republican Party, no place in Congress, and no place in our politics.

Scott is basically right, but Steve King has a place in our politics because the voters of his Congressional district are sovereign.

If the GOP want's to do something, let them censure Steve King.  Let the resolution have the massive backing of Republicans.  Strip him of his committee assignments.  Strip him of his seniority.  Boot him out of the GOP Csucus.  They can do all of those things.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 11:42:02 PM »

Also the media is to blame for Trump as much as the base is. They promoted him non stop gave him all that free media and in today world thats a huge reason why people win

Not in the least the same Bass. The GOP has fundamentally changed for the worst right down to the soul.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 11:50:40 PM »

I kinda wish Parties here had the same power parties have in other countries where they have the power to stop them from running under their party banner.

But in the meanwhile he should be stripped of all his committee assignments and then primaried in 2020 and if that doesnt work a Republican should run as an independent to make sure he loses

He definitely should be stripped of his assignments from within the GOP but I doubt the GOP will actually do that. Steve King Represents a significant portion of the GOP too well for them to do that. At the very minimum 1/4 and probably 1/3.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:30 PM »

Not in the least the same Bass. The GOP has fundamentally changed for the worst right down to the soul.

No it hasn't the GOP has been fundamentally evil since 1968 and if not then at the very lates it has been fundamentally evil since 1980.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 12:45:15 AM »

Mitt Romney practically got down on his knees to thank Trump for his endorsement in 2012.

He also ran one of the most virulently anti-immigrant campaigns as of that date - lest we forget his vow to make the Hispanics "self-deport."
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 12:52:55 AM »

Mitt Romney practically got down on his knees to thank Trump for his endorsement in 2012.

He also ran one of the most virulently anti-immigrant campaigns as of that date - lest we forget his vow to make the Hispanics "self-deport."

Ugh that comment was taken completely out of context

He clearly stated what that meant was that he would cut of government benefits from illegal immigrants and enforce e verify so they don’t get jobs either . That proposal is not only responable it’s also completely correct.

Also on legal immigration he proposed this :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/06/22/mitt-romneys-immigration-plan-the-full-text/?utm_term=.47359fc1707c

The liberal media parroted the Obama campaign and called him anti immigrant which was totally false . He was very pro legal immigrant especially high skilled ones . Yes he was tough on illegal immigration but that doesn’t make someone anti immigrant
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 01:07:36 AM »

Go on the popular conservative news sites like Breitbart. The comments there are indistinguishable from white nationalists, it's the exact same rhetoric and arguments. The Republican base is racist. And no, it's not both sides. You won't find hardcore anti-white SJW rhetoric in Democraticunderground or Daily Kos comment sections.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »

Scott is right.

Notice how he doesn't say "Now in order to not be racist, we need to be clones of the Democrats."
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »

Also the media is to blame for Trump as much as the base is. They promoted him non stop gave him all that free media and in today world that's a huge reason why people win

Trump offered me what I wanted in a candidate, issue-wise.  On immigration, on foreign policy, on trade, I agreed with him.  I didn't need to see media over and over.  And I agreed that he represented a needed departure from the neocons.

If I made a mistake in voting for Trump, that's on me.  In the same manner, if I made a mistake on voting for Bill Clinton (twice), that's on me as well.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 10:01:37 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »

Its about the Southern Strategy. Which was first used by Nixon and perfected by Reagan. Clarence Thomas used quotas to become a judge. Quotas are used to help ethnics get ahead in employment and schooling

In critical elections that the Crt was up in 2004 or 2016, both Dubya and Trump emplored the Southern strategy to solidify a conservative bloc. By swift boating Kerry and calling Hilary crocked
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2019, 01:57:18 PM by TexasGurl »

Go on the popular conservative news sites like Breitbart. The comments there are indistinguishable from white nationalists, it's the exact same rhetoric and arguments. The Republican base is racist. And no, it's not both sides. You won't find hardcore anti-white SJW rhetoric in Democraticunderground or Daily Kos comment sections.
Yeah, I largely agree with this.

The comment sections on right wing/Republican websites is full of White supremacists, Neo-Confederates, Neo-Nazis and Alt-Right trolls. It's really disgusting.

You can be reading a story about Trump and the border wall and scroll down to the comments and see comments like "We should round up all illegal Mexicans and shoot them". WTF? Or "We are prepared for war against Blacks and Muslims". Or "White liberals are traitors to the White race and they will be left behind in the race war" Huh. It's insane.

The Republican Party has to ostracized these POSs but they don't and won't (for various reasons).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »

Yeah this is what gets when moderate reps and indies play the “both sides” argument. The fake is Dems not mainstream their nuts the way reps do. Case in point our president. He rose to fame within the Republican Party on birtherism. At the height of anti-Bush fever the democrats never let the “Bush is behind 9/11” crowd near the parties mainstream let alone the presidential nom.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »

Also the media is to blame for Trump as much as the base is. They promoted him non stop gave him all that free media and in today world that's a huge reason why people win

Trump offered me what I wanted in a candidate, issue-wise.  On immigration, on foreign policy, on trade, I agreed with him.  I didn't need to see media over and over.  And I agreed that he represented a needed departure from the neocons.

If I made a mistake in voting for Trump, that's on me.  In the same manner, if I made a mistake on voting for Bill Clinton (twice), that's on me as well.

You follow politics far more than the average person does though so that’s different.

The average voter unfortunately is far more influenced by media coverage than you and I are .
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 12:52:10 PM »

Its about the Southern Strategy. Which was first used by Nixon and perfected by Reagan. Clarence Thomas used quotas to become a judge. Quotas are used to help ethnics get ahead in employment and schooling

In critical elections that the Crt was up in 2004 or 2016, both Dubya and Trump emplored the Southern strategy to solidify a conservative bloc. By swift boating Kerry and calling Hilary crocked

Nixon nailed down the Southern strategy to where the South became permanently Republican at the Presidential level, but he never minded conservative Southern Democrats (amongst whose ranks were some of his bitter-end supporters) kept getting elected to Congress.  Carter carried the South in 1976 only because white Southerners perceived him as less liberal then he actually was.

The South is nowhere near as important a battleground as it once was.  VA is Democratic, FL and NC are battleground states, and I keep hearing how GA and TX will become so (although I'm far from conivniced).  The rest of the South seems to be hopelessly Republican for my lifetime.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »

Um, look at the comments.

Don't play games. Democrats have a white voter problem as the Republicans have a minority voters problem.

https://upload.democraticunderground.com/118764285#post61
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 01:18:19 PM »

Barf, glad we were at least able to unseat Mia Love. I am not a fan those who sell their identity out like this to be the token in a group. Tim Scott may have slapped King’s wrist, but it is not nearly enough.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies