The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:12:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)  (Read 11115 times)
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.50, S: -8.50

« on: January 10, 2019, 04:10:32 PM »

Are original characters permitted?
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 05:59:00 PM »

Can you explain what you mean by can’t hold positions of power before announcing? Is a created character allowed to have been a governor or senator, etc?
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:30:26 PM »

That’s a lot clearer, thanks. I will post a character.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »

If you're going to create a Walmart substitute, just use the Chairman of Walmart (Greg Penner) or the CEO of Walmart (Doug McMillon). It quite frankly is unneeded to create a whole new corporation out of whole cloth.
You're right. I'm quite one to play outside the box and that has me thinking. What has exactly happened under the Romney presidency. How did Hillary lose to Romney? I should have waited to hear about that before deciding about joining the game.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 09:59:58 PM »

If you're going to create a Walmart substitute, just use the Chairman of Walmart (Greg Penner) or the CEO of Walmart (Doug McMillon). It quite frankly is unneeded to create a whole new corporation out of whole cloth.
You're right. I'm quite one to play outside the box and that has me thinking. What has exactly happened under the Romney presidency. How did Hillary lose to Romney? I should have waited to hear about that before deciding about joining the game.

I'm pretty sure Obama still won in 2008...which would mean Romney defeated him in 2012.

As for how Hillary lost to Romney in 2016, he had the incumbency advantage, and a pretty good economy (I presume) so I find it hard to believe he would've lost to anyone in 2016.

That said I hope you switch to Hillary.

BTW, I'm in as Obama regardless of whether someone plays as Hillary. I just think the game would be better if someone did play as Hillary.

More that not, the incumbency reason may be why Romney won in 2016. It just feels weird to me I guess with OTL 2016 and all. I mean 2004 is a good way to look at it. I don't know how I feel about Obama and Clinton running against each other though. I feel like if Obama's in, then the party would gather around him and he'd be crowned heir apparent. I mean he is a former President and all.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure Obama still won in 2008...which would mean Romney defeated him in 2012.

As for how Hillary lost to Romney in 2016, he had the incumbency advantage, and a pretty good economy (I presume) so I find it hard to believe he would've lost to anyone in 2016.

That said I hope you switch to Hillary.

BTW, I'm in as Obama regardless of whether someone plays as Hillary. I just think the game would be better if someone did play as Hillary.

More that not, the incumbency reason may be why Romney won in 2016. It just feels weird to me I guess with OTL 2016 and all. I mean 2004 is a good way to look at it. I don't know how I feel about Obama and Clinton running against each other though. I feel like if Obama's in, then the party would gather around him and he'd be crowned heir apparent. I mean he is a former President and all.

Then why would Obama run at all if Stacey Abrams is running? This whole ATL election is a very difficult situation to predict. I can’t think of anything to compare it with. I’m just trying to strive for realism here.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 10:24:11 PM »

I’ll play. Not as Hillary though. She’ll be 73 on Inaguration Day, and honestly I think it’s over for her in OTL and this ATL.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 10:28:49 PM »

I’ll play. Not as Hillary though. She’ll be 73 on Inaguration Day, and honestly I think it’s over for her in OTL and this ATL.

So, as your original character, or as a different outsider?
Actually, can I play as an endorser? If that’s possible? If it’s not, then I’m going to have to do some more thinking.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:33:46 PM »

Actually, can I play as an endorser? If that’s possible? If it’s not, then I’m going to have to do some more thinking.

I believe your original candidate was rather good, though. And playing as an endorser is certainly... unprecedented.

I’m just really so used to playing as OCs from my time at AH, and I had a perfect one until what Dat said about not wanting high level positions for OCs.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:25 PM »

I believe your original candidate was rather good, though. And playing as an endorser is certainly... unprecedented.

I’m just really so used to playing as OCs from my time at AH, and I had a perfect one until what Dat said about not wanting high level positions for OCs.

If you're more comfortable that way, perhaps you could talk to Dat to see if he could allow you to use your OC (as long as it doesn't interfere with other players)? If not, then you could play as your other one, or as an endorser as you suggested.

If I play as an endorser I want to play as Jimmy Carter. If I play as an OC I’d absolutely love to play as a psuedo-Trumpish outsider now like the one I had created, but I really need more info about what’s happened under Romney. The culture wars and all that.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »

I have in my head a sort of Martha Stewart-expy, except way more (obviously) outspoken. I love to flesh out my characters, so I’ll have it up sometime tomorrow.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »

I have in my head a sort of Martha Stewart-expy, except way more (obviously) outspoken. I love to flesh out my characters, so I’ll have it up sometime tomorrow.

Why not just play as Martha Stewart herself?

I admit, she'd be really old (about as old as Biden/Sanders) and yes, she's a felon, but as far I'm aware there are no laws preventing felons from being elected President.
[/quote]

The thing is I like to create characters and give them their own personalities.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 11:07:05 PM »

Well, when I said no major OCs, I meant no former governors/senators; strong outsiders were always ok, just not ones who extended to the point of ridiculousness (i.e. beyond any level of fame or fortune ever obtained by an actual American).

I understand the ridiculous factor is really a hit or miss thing. You don’t want crazies signing up, but in reality look at Trump. He is by your definition ridiculous.

I’m not going to through a huge fit about this, it’s your game and your rules and I can and will obide by that, I just wanted to point out an inconsistency.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:20:28 PM »

Well, when I said no major OCs, I meant no former governors/senators; strong outsiders were always ok, just not ones who extended to the point of ridiculousness (i.e. beyond any level of fame or fortune ever obtained by an actual American).

I understand the ridiculous factor is really a hit or miss thing. You don’t want crazies signing up, but in reality look at Trump. He is by your definition ridiculous.

I’m not going to through a huge fit about this, it’s your game and your rules and I can and will obide by that, I just wanted to point out an inconsistency.

Trump is not ridiculous; what I meant was, you can't create someone so popular they effectively automatically win. Trump is a billionaire and a celebrity, but he is neither the most popular nor the richest man in the world, which is really what I was trying to get at with the examples. They can be rich, they can be famous, they just can't be beyond anything we've seen in American society before. If you want a billionaire, make a billionaire; that's fine! I just set those rules in place to prevent future OC creators from effectively making an electoral god and ruining the game for everyone else. As long as the election (both primary and general) could still remain competitive with your OC in the running, and they're not literally a contradiction to American political history (excluding Reps and "minor" offices), your candidate is fine. Your original character, as you've described them, would be within the rules.

Oh I’m sorry, there was a miscommunication on my part. So the Martha Stewart-expy would fit under the rules then? Trust me not everyone would love her
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 11:28:37 PM »

Alright will do and I will try to keep that character’s bio pretty simple and to the point. I’ll keep any other info handy if its needed
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »

Name: Celia Curtis neé Gaffin
Political Party: Democratic
Home state: Louisiana
Positions: Former talk show host, former television star, businesswoman.
Background: Curtis was born in poverty in rural Louisiana, her father died when she was four. She was sent to live with her great aunt in New Orleans, who operated a diner. In 1981, her aunt died and Celia inherited the diner. She then publish a volume of cookbooks based on family recipes. In 1995, she was hired by the Food Network to host her own cooking show. In 2001, she went through a divorce and was fired for the bad publicity. Curtis sued the network for discrimination and won a large settlement in a well-covered trial. In 2004, CBS hired her to host a talk show. Celia became outspoken about the Iraq War. In 2011, her show ended. Curtis has her own magazine and released more books including a memoir which contains her political beliefs in 2018. Recently she has spoken up about her own instances of sexual assault in support of the MeToo movement.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 10:30:30 PM »

Yeah the Republican side looks absolutely pathetic right now. No doubt it will pick up though.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 10:41:02 PM »

Also by the way I haven't yet openly declared. Maybe a couple of rumors through leaks here and there. I plan to announce in March.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:53 PM »

Damn. Obama didn't get the coveted Oprah endorsement this time?

Since Abrams will probably get enough credits from the first poll to make Oprah's endorsement a possibility, I went ahead and let Peanut have it (she'd be worth 3, in this case). If anyone else wants one pregame endorsement, I will allow those, as well.

Assuming no one claims Biden in the next ten days, I'll take him. Serving as a loyal VP for four years has to count for something.

I've a feeling there's going to be quite a game of musical chairs in the coming weeks.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 11:00:37 PM »

Renacci wishes for the pre endorsement of Representative Dan Crenshaw

Got it. And he's a badass.
I have to be honest I don't know anything about him besides the eyepatch.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 11:06:09 PM »

Renacci wishes for the pre endorsement of Representative Dan Crenshaw

Got it. And he's a badass.
I have to be honest I don't know anything about him besides the eyepatch.

Ex Navy-SEAL, too.

Just read up on his wiki page. I like what he said about immigration reform. Found somebody I might actually partially agree with. Thanks terp.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 12:10:14 AM »

Damn. Obama didn't get the coveted Oprah endorsement this time?

Since Abrams will probably get enough credits from the first poll to make Oprah's endorsement a possibility, I went ahead and let Peanut have it (she'd be worth 3, in this case). If anyone else wants one pregame endorsement, I will allow those, as well.

Assuming no one claims Biden in the next ten days, I'll take him. Serving as a loyal VP for four years has to count for something.

I've a feeling there's going to be quite a game of musical chairs in the coming weeks.

While I can't control the actions of another player, I will say that running against Obama in this scenario is more of a Hillary thing than a Biden thing.

I can admit I can get really nitpicky and I'm going to do another nitpick right now. Last one for a while I promise. We're in a universe where Romney is the incumbent outgoing President, its way less opportunistic for someone like Joe Biden to run compared to the opportunity of defeating Trump. That being said I can see a lot of the old guard of the Democrats deciding it's time for fresh blood and choosing to call it quits in terms of Presidential politics. We really have no idea what's happened under the Romney Presidency, but it has to be way more stable politically speaking then the Trump Presidency OTL right now.

This is just a game though and people are going to have way different views on realism than I do.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »

CELIA CURTIS 2020
TOGETHER UNITED
January 25, 2019
New Orleans, Louisiana

Good afternoon. I've been all over this wonderful country full of wonderful faces and families, but frankly I am disgusted. I am very disgusted. Our nation is in crisis. The elitist one percent are destroying America as we know it! I know the elites. Some are good people, but most CEOs and politicians are complete scum. They've made the working men and women poorer than ever. I know what it's like to struggle. I managed to pull myself up by the bootstraps, but that simply is not enough anymore. The system is rigged against you! The politicians on both sides Republican and Democratic alike just don't care how awful the hardworking Americans are treated. The average Senator has a net worth of $15 million dollars and average U.S. Representative has a net worth of $5 million dollars. Now I myself have money, but If you look up the records you'll see I do not live beyond my means. How many millionaires have more than two homes, more than two cars, yachts, private jets? Far far too many. We're damn tired of this, aren't we? It needs to stop. It needs to end. There needs to be a revolution. That's why I'm running for the Democratic Nomination for President in 2020, because together we can fix our America. Together we can fix the unequal divide of wealth and bring back our communities bring back decent paying jobs with decent hour. Together we are united. Thank you!
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »

Can I actually be Carly Fiorina, I just think this will create a more exciting Republican primary. If I can, can I switch my pre-endorsement to Barbara Comstock
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 11:52:22 PM »

Also, I think we should have some straw polls like irl in the game too

Please note: all poll data at this point can easily be changed by the strength or weakness of campaigns throughout the coming year.

Harvard/Harris Democratic Primary Poll, 10-14 January 2019
Stacey Abrams - 15%

Barack Obama -10%
Beto O'Rourke - 8%
Sherrod Brown - 7%
Alex Sink - 6%
Celia Curtis - 6%
Jay Inslee - 5%
John Kerry - 4%
Tulsi Gabbard - 3%
Pete Buttigieg - 2%
Undecided - 34%

Rasmussen Republican Primary Poll, 10-14 January 2019
Paul Ryan - 17%

Lisa Murkowski - 13%
Nikki Haley - 12%
Charlie Baker - 11%
Carly Fiorina - 8%
Ben Shapiro - 6%
Alveda King - 4%
Undecided - 29%
I admit to being surprised that Obama isn't starting in the lead.

Also, Baker's a moderate from the same state as Romney, how on earth is he at 11% in the first poll?

With regards to the Democrats, Obama's been out of power for eight years, and this is still the party that almost nominated Sanders in '16, and the party that dumped Joe Crowley for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in '18. Obama, as an inevitable member of the establishment wing, will struggle against the insurgency-turned-major-force that is the progressive wing.

For Baker, it's more a matter of who he's running against. Paul Ryan will suck up a lot of Romney voters from the get-go, and Murkowski takes a lot of the moderate vote, due to her maverick status within a (from 2015 to 2019) 52-48 Senate, where such a maverick can cause a lot of trouble, should she be so inclined. Haley, meanwhile, has also been quite popular in Republican circles for a long time.

As for the actual percentage, that's more a reflection of actual polls in a competitive race this early: more undecided voters than backers of any one candidate. While Ryan is the (emphasis on the air quotes) "frontrunner" at the moment, he's somewhat like Joe Biden in OTL; ahead in most polls, but not by a lot, with everyone else who breaks 10% (Baker included) being a well-recognized member of the party with a decent chance to usurp the nomination. (Note: this does not mean anyone under 10% right now in either primary is hopeless.) Even at only 11% at this point, Baker is still a major contender.

Yes, Obama is a plain neo-liberal pure and simple.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies