The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:54:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)  (Read 11166 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 08:12:48 PM »

You know... I really don't want to play in three election games at the same time, but the idea of President Obama trying to pull a Grover Cleveland appeals to me for some reason.
It's your call, but it'd definitely be an interesting thing to see.

I'd love to do it.

Just don't expect a perfect game (at least compared to the two games I'm playing as Hillary Clinton now...though I should be able to get out of one of them relatively soon).

Why? If you're gonna endorse someone in 2004, Gore wouldn't say no!

Still would be Shaheen or Lincoln, or maybe Kerry if he wins New Hampshire. I don't think Hillary and Gore like each other much any more.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 08:13:40 PM »

It will also be understood that, from context, Governor Abrams's declaration is set in early June, not early January (she announced her gubernatorial bid on June 3, 2017, I believe).

Ok, that's fine. Just had a creativity surge for an announcement speech.

I understand. The speech was actually really good, by the way.

Thanks! You know, I'm actually quite liking the idea for this game... an Abrams vs. Obama primary will be awesome. Looking forward to the game!

If we have Obama...someone has to play as Hillary.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »

You know... I really don't want to play in three election games at the same time, but the idea of President Obama trying to pull a Grover Cleveland appeals to me for some reason.
It's your call, but it'd definitely be an interesting thing to see.

I'd love to do it.

Just don't expect a perfect game (at least compared to the two games I'm playing as Hillary Clinton now...though I should be able to get out of one of them relatively soon).

Why? If you're gonna endorse someone in 2004, Gore wouldn't say no!

Still would be Shaheen or Lincoln, or maybe Kerry if he wins New Hampshire. I don't Hillary and Gore like each other much any more.

Oh, make no mistake, we probably hate each other, but still.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »

It will also be understood that, from context, Governor Abrams's declaration is set in early June, not early January (she announced her gubernatorial bid on June 3, 2017, I believe).

Thanks! You know, I'm actually quite liking the idea for this game... an Abrams vs. Obama primary will be awesome. Looking forward to the game!

If you know anyone who's between games, hit them up. The more, the merrier!
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:39 PM »

If you know anyone who's between games, hit them up. The more, the merrier!

This. Hillary vs. Obama vs. Abrams would be great (and anyone else, really.)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »

By the way, wouldn't you be willing to have 2 endorsements per turn? I feel it's better for early coalition-building. It's your call in the end, of course, but endorsements are important to chart your strategy.
Well, it'll honestly depend on how many candidates actually enter the field. If there's, say, 15 or 20, having 2 people endorse a week this early is unrealistic, but if it stays fairly small (i.e. 5-10), then I'll ok two endorsements a week.

Maybe instead the number of people endorsing should depend on who the endorsement requests are for, or the endorsements could be based on polling numbers (i.e someone polling well would have a better chance of all of their endorsements getting through).
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »

By the way, wouldn't you be willing to have 2 endorsements per turn? I feel it's better for early coalition-building. It's your call in the end, of course, but endorsements are important to chart your strategy.
Well, it'll honestly depend on how many candidates actually enter the field. If there's, say, 15 or 20, having 2 people endorse a week this early is unrealistic, but if it stays fairly small (i.e. 5-10), then I'll ok two endorsements a week.

Maybe instead the number of people endorsing should depend on who the endorsement requests are for, or the endorsements could be based on polling numbers (i.e someone polling well would have a better chance of all of their endorsements getting through).

Probably this.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 08:58:33 PM »

Rep. Jim Renacci Launches Exploratory Committee

Former Congressmen Jim Renacci (R-OH-16): I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania, I did not live rich. I grew up in the low middle class where every pay checked mattered to our family. When I am in my early twenties, I opened my first business with all the money I had. As a businessman, I created over 1,500 jobs and owned businesses across northeast Ohio. I am not a career politician, I am a businessman. I only ran for Congress in 2010 for two things. First, because of the disastrous bailouts from President Obama that cost taxpayers billions and took away one of my car dealerships taking jobs from northeast Ohio. Second, I ran because I was sick and tired of Washington D.C. not listening to the concerns of real Americans and only passing bills that benefit them. I am still sick and tired of Washington D.C. as so many other Americans especially Republicans are. This is why I am launching an exploratory committee for president of the United States.

Our nation needs a new leader, not a Washington insider. I am a businessman and I am the conservative leader that this nation has been looking for. I will not continue to allow our government to spend and spend to leave a twenty-two trillion dollar debt for the future generation. As president, I will not pass a single budget that allows tax-payer funded abortion. I will stop the flow of illegal immigration while making it easier for them to get legal status.

That is the conservative change this country needs and the reason, I am looking at running for president because I believe I can bring that change to the United States of America. That is the message I will be touring the country and seeing if the American people agree that this country needs a change of leadership in Washington D.C. and the need to make a change across the country. That is what the people of northeast Ohio wanted which is why they send to Congress and that is why I believe America will send me to the White House.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »

Rep. Jim Renacci Launches Exploratory Committee

Former Congressmen Jim Renacci (R-OH-16): I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania, I did not live rich. I grew up in the low middle class where every pay checked mattered to our family. When I am in my early twenties, I opened my first business with all the money I had. As a businessman, I created over 1,500 jobs and owned businesses across northeast Ohio. I am not a career politician, I am a businessman. I only ran for Congress in 2010 for two things. First, because of the disastrous bailouts from President Obama that cost taxpayers billions and took away one of my car dealerships taking jobs from northeast Ohio. Second, I ran because I was sick and tired of Washington D.C. not listening to the concerns of real Americans and only passing bills that benefit them. I am still sick and tired of Washington D.C. as so many other Americans especially Republicans are. This is why I am launching an exploratory committee for president of the United States.

Our nation needs a new leader, not a Washington insider. I am a businessman and I am the conservative leader that this nation has been looking for. I will not continue to allow our government to spend and spend to leave a twenty-two trillion dollar debt for the future generation. As president, I will not pass a single budget that allows tax-payer funded abortion. I will stop the flow of illegal immigration while making it easier for them to get legal status.

That is the conservative change this country needs and the reason, I am looking at running for president because I believe I can bring that change to the United States of America. That is the message I will be touring the country and seeing if the American people agree that this country needs a change of leadership in Washington D.C. and the need to make a change across the country. That is what the people of northeast Ohio wanted which is why they send to Congress and that is why I believe America will send me to the White House.

Definitely an interesting take, calling out a two-term Republican President like this.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »

I think this is a good idea like if you want a Governor's endorsement then you only get one but if you want a former or current rep. then you can get two or three. I also like the polling idea
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »

I think this is a good idea like if you want a Governor's endorsement then you only get one but if you want a former or current rep. then you can get two or three. I also like the polling idea

I could see this working.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 09:07:13 PM »

How about making it so that every candidate is given an amount of, say, "credits", based on their performance in polling, and can, from there, ask for endorsements according to the ones they have? Something like this:

3 credits= Obama Cabinet officials, Senators, Governors.
2 credits= Romney Cabinet officials, Congressmen, organizations, newspapers, other statewide offices.
1 credit= Lower-than-statewide offices, celebrities.

If the GM would like to work with a system like that.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »

How about making it so that every candidate is given an amount of, say, "credits", based on their performance in polling, and can, from there, ask for endorsements according to the ones they have? Something like this:

2 credits= Romney Cabinet officials, Congressmen, organizations, newspapers, other statewide offices.

Romney Cabinet officials wouldn't be able to endorse anyways, as they'd be violating the Hatch Act.

Speaking of the Romney Cabinet, who currently is in the Romney Cabinet?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »

Romney Cabinet officials wouldn't be able to endorse anyways, as they'd be violating the Hatch Act.

I meant former Romney Cabinet officials, just like it's former Obama Cabinet officials. Having a two-term Cabinet with no turnover is, well, rather unrealistic.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 09:14:43 PM »

Former Romney Cabinet officials, just like it's former Obama Cabinet officials. Having a two-term Cabinet with no turnover is, well, rather unrealistic.

The difference wasn't specified.

A list of current and former Romney cabinet officials would be very much appreciated.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »

1 credit per week per 5% in the polls, though I'd say Obama and Romney Cabinet officials should both be 2 credits. Credits can also be earned for excellent performance in debates (winner gets 2 credits, runner-up gets 1). For non-multiples of 5 in the polling, excess accumulates (i.e. a candidate with 16% in the polls would get an extra endorsement every five weeks on top of their three weekly endorsements).
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »

Former Romney Cabinet officials, just like it's former Obama Cabinet officials. Having a two-term Cabinet with no turnover is, well, rather unrealistic.

A list of current and former Romney cabinet officials would be very much appreciated.

...I know, it was a mistake.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 09:20:24 PM »

...I know, it was a mistake.

Give me a few minutes; I'll get something up.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 09:22:00 PM »

Name: Frances Elizabeth Barton née Howell
Home State: Florida
Political Party: Democratic
Major Position: CEO of the Ultimart Corporation (2009-2018)

Brief background: Barton was born on January 19th, 1968, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in business and earned her MBA from the University of Chicago in 1992. Frances worked for Walgreens in marketing before joining Ultimart (one of the largest retailers in the nation. Think of combination between Aldi and Costco. A discount big box store that has no frills.) in 1998. Frances eventually rose through the ranks fairly quickly and became CEO amidst the Great Recession in 2008. She successfully turned the company around from the brink of bankruptcy by shutting down underperforming stores and charging for shopping carts and bags, among other measures, By 2013, Ultimart was back on track. Barton initiated an HMO program for employees and customers and raised the minimum wage to $12.50 in 2016. Barton, however has been criticized for her cutthroat personality. She is quick to fire under-management if she deems them disloyal or break policy, as well as being publicly vocal about her opinions through social media. After stepping down as CEO in December 2018, she has decided to go in to politics, hoping to save the middle class after quote un quote, "the disaster of the Romney Admimistration"

Barton has been married to her husband, Nick, since 1997. The two have three children together.

If you're going to create a Walmart substitute, just use the Chairman of Walmart (Greg Penner) or the CEO of Walmart (Doug McMillon). It quite frankly is unneeded to create a whole new corporation out of whole cloth.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.50, S: -8.50

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »

If you're going to create a Walmart substitute, just use the Chairman of Walmart (Greg Penner) or the CEO of Walmart (Doug McMillon). It quite frankly is unneeded to create a whole new corporation out of whole cloth.
You're right. I'm quite one to play outside the box and that has me thinking. What has exactly happened under the Romney presidency. How did Hillary lose to Romney? I should have waited to hear about that before deciding about joining the game.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 09:44:51 PM »

You're right. I'm quite one to play outside the box and that has me thinking. What has exactly happened under the Romney presidency. How did Hillary lose to Romney? I should have waited to hear about that before deciding about joining the game.

I'm pretty sure Obama still won in 2008...which would mean Romney defeated him in 2012.

As for how Hillary lost to Romney in 2016, he had the incumbency advantage, and a pretty good economy (I presume) so I find it hard to believe he would've lost to anyone in 2016.

That said I hope you switch to Hillary.

BTW, I'm in as Obama regardless of whether someone plays as Hillary. I just think the game would be better if someone did play as Hillary.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure Obama still won in 2008...which would mean Romney defeated him in 2012.

As far as I understood, Obama beat McCain, Romney beat Obama, Romney beat Clinton.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.50, S: -8.50

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 09:59:58 PM »

As for how Hillary lost to Romney in 2016, he had the incumbency advantage, and a pretty good economy (I presume) so I find it hard to believe he would've lost to anyone in 2016.

BTW, I'm in as Obama regardless of whether someone plays as Hillary. I just think the game would be better if someone did play as Hillary.

More that not, the incumbency reason may be why Romney won in 2016. It just feels weird to me I guess with OTL 2016 and all. I mean 2004 is a good way to look at it. I don't know how I feel about Obama and Clinton running against each other though. I feel like if Obama's in, then the party would gather around him and he'd be crowned heir apparent. I mean he is a former President and all.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 10:03:16 PM »

More that not, the incumbency reason may be why Romney won in 2016. It just feels weird to me I guess with OTL 2016 and all. I mean 2004 is a good way to look at it. I don't know how I feel about Obama and Clinton running against each other though. I feel like if Obama's in, then the party would gather around him and he'd be crowned heir apparent. I mean he is a former President and all.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »

Romney Cabinet Officials:

Vice President: Paul Ryan

Secretary of State: Former Senator Scott Brown from Massachusetts (since 2017)
Senator from Indiana and Former Ambassador to Germany Dan Coats (2013-2017) (Republican Todd Young won a special election for his seat)

Secretary of the Treasury: Jerome Powell (since 2016)
John Stumpf, CEO of Wells Fargo (2013-2016)

Secretary of Defense: Marine Corps General Robert Magnus

Attorney General: Sean Doherty, Corporate Managing Director, Bain Capital (since 2018)
Former Governor of Virginia Jim Gilmore (2013-2018)

Secretary of the Interior: Mary A. Bomar, Director of the National Park Service 2006-2009 (since 2016)
Karenna Gore, daughter of Al Gore, director of the Center of Earth Ethics at Union Theological Seminary (2013-2016)

Secretary of Agriculture: Sonny Perdue

Secretary of Commerce: Rick Santorum, US Senator from Pennsylvania 1995-2007 (since 2015)
Gary Johnson (2013-2015) (this was a bid to bring libertarians more into the fold)

Secretary of Labor: Economist David Neumark (performed study that found minimum wage increases decreased employment)

Secretary of Health and Human Services: Bill Frist, physician and Senate Majority Leader 2003-2007
Atul Gawande, famous physician (2013-2017)

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani

Secretary of Transportation: Elaine Chao

Secretary of Energy: Edward D. Breen, CEO of DuPont (since 2016)
Steven Chu (Obama holdover; 2013-2016)

Secretary of Education: Kevin J Worthen, President of Brigham Young University (since 2017)
Margaret Spellings (2013-2017)

Secretary of Veterans' Affairs: US Representative Barry Loudermilk from Georgia's 11th Congressional District (since 2017)
Bob McDonald (2013-2017)

Secretary of Homeland Security: John Bolton (since 2017)
Judge Reed O'Connor (2013-2017)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies