The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:38:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)  (Read 11117 times)
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2019, 10:45:17 PM »

Also, I think we should have some straw polls like irl in the game too

Please note: all poll data at this point can easily be changed by the strength or weakness of campaigns throughout the coming year.

Harvard/Harris Democratic Primary Poll, 10-14 January 2019
Stacey Abrams - 15%

Barack Obama -10%
Beto O'Rourke - 8%
Sherrod Brown - 7%
Alex Sink - 6%
Celia Curtis - 6%
Jay Inslee - 5%
John Kerry - 4%
Tulsi Gabbard - 3%
Pete Buttigieg - 2%
Undecided - 34%

Rasmussen Republican Primary Poll, 10-14 January 2019
Paul Ryan - 17%

Lisa Murkowski - 13%
Nikki Haley - 12%
Charlie Baker - 11%
Carly Fiorina - 8%
Ben Shapiro - 6%
Alveda King - 4%
Undecided - 29%
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2019, 11:00:34 PM »

Please note: all poll data at this point can easily be changed by the strength or weakness of campaigns throughout the coming year.

Stacey Abrams - 15%

Barack Obama -10%
Beto O'Rourke - 8%
Sherrod Brown - 7%
Alex Sink - 6%
Celia Curtis - 6%
Jay Inslee - 5%
John Kerry - 4%
Tulsi Gabbard - 3%
Pete Buttigieg - 2%
Undecided - 34%

Paul Ryan - 17%

Lisa Murkowski - 13%
Nikki Haley - 12%
Charlie Baker - 11%
Carly Fiorina - 8%
Ben Shapiro - 6%
Alveda King - 4%
Undecided - 29%
I admit to being surprised that Obama isn't starting in the lead.

Also, Baker's a moderate from the same state as Romney, how on earth is he at 11% in the first poll?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2019, 11:13:16 PM »

Stacey Abrams - 15%

Barack Obama -10%
Beto O'Rourke - 8%
Sherrod Brown - 7%
Alex Sink - 6%
Celia Curtis - 6%
Jay Inslee - 5%
John Kerry - 4%
Tulsi Gabbard - 3%
Pete Buttigieg - 2%
Undecided - 34%

Paul Ryan - 17%

Lisa Murkowski - 13%
Nikki Haley - 12%
Charlie Baker - 11%
Carly Fiorina - 8%
Ben Shapiro - 6%
Alveda King - 4%
Undecided - 29%

Also, Baker's a moderate from the same state as Romney, how on earth is he at 11% in the first poll?

With regards to the Democrats, Obama's been out of power for eight years, and this is still the party that almost nominated Sanders in '16, and the party that dumped Joe Crowley for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in '18. Obama, as an inevitable member of the establishment wing, will struggle against the insurgency-turned-major-force that is the progressive wing.

For Baker, it's more a matter of who he's running against. Paul Ryan will suck up a lot of Romney voters from the get-go, and Murkowski takes a lot of the moderate vote, due to her maverick status within a (from 2015 to 2019) 52-48 Senate, where such a maverick can cause a lot of trouble, should she be so inclined. Haley, meanwhile, has also been quite popular in Republican circles for a long time.

As for the actual percentage, that's more a reflection of actual polls in a competitive race this early: more undecided voters than backers of any one candidate. While Ryan is the (emphasis on the air quotes) "frontrunner" at the moment, he's somewhat like Joe Biden in OTL; ahead in most polls, but not by a lot, with everyone else who breaks 10% (Baker included) being a well-recognized member of the party with a decent chance to usurp the nomination. (Note: this does not mean anyone under 10% right now in either primary is hopeless.) Even at only 11% at this point, Baker is still a major contender.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.50, S: -8.50

« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2019, 11:52:22 PM »

Stacey Abrams - 15%

Barack Obama -10%
Beto O'Rourke - 8%
Sherrod Brown - 7%
Alex Sink - 6%
Celia Curtis - 6%
Jay Inslee - 5%
John Kerry - 4%
Tulsi Gabbard - 3%
Pete Buttigieg - 2%
Undecided - 34%

Paul Ryan - 17%

Lisa Murkowski - 13%
Nikki Haley - 12%
Charlie Baker - 11%
Carly Fiorina - 8%
Ben Shapiro - 6%
Alveda King - 4%
Undecided - 29%

With regards to the Democrats, Obama's been out of power for eight years, and this is still the party that almost nominated Sanders in '16, and the party that dumped Joe Crowley for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in '18. Obama, as an inevitable member of the establishment wing, will struggle against the insurgency-turned-major-force that is the progressive wing.

For Baker, it's more a matter of who he's running against. Paul Ryan will suck up a lot of Romney voters from the get-go, and Murkowski takes a lot of the moderate vote, due to her maverick status within a (from 2015 to 2019) 52-48 Senate, where such a maverick can cause a lot of trouble, should she be so inclined. Haley, meanwhile, has also been quite popular in Republican circles for a long time.

As for the actual percentage, that's more a reflection of actual polls in a competitive race this early: more undecided voters than backers of any one candidate. While Ryan is the (emphasis on the air quotes) "frontrunner" at the moment, he's somewhat like Joe Biden in OTL; ahead in most polls, but not by a lot, with everyone else who breaks 10% (Baker included) being a well-recognized member of the party with a decent chance to usurp the nomination. (Note: this does not mean anyone under 10% right now in either primary is hopeless.) Even at only 11% at this point, Baker is still a major contender.

Yes, Obama is a plain neo-liberal pure and simple.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2019, 12:12:29 AM »

Stacey Abrams - 15%

Barack Obama -10%
Beto O'Rourke - 8%
Sherrod Brown - 7%
Alex Sink - 6%
Celia Curtis - 6%
Jay Inslee - 5%
John Kerry - 4%
Tulsi Gabbard - 3%
Pete Buttigieg - 2%
Undecided - 34%

Paul Ryan - 17%

Lisa Murkowski - 13%
Nikki Haley - 12%
Charlie Baker - 11%
Carly Fiorina - 8%
Ben Shapiro - 6%
Alveda King - 4%
Undecided - 29%

Even as President, Obama was neither establishment (he really couldn't be, being the first African American American President) nor a progressive, and his one major flaw is that he runs a major risk of splitting the African American vote with Abrams (though it looks like she's doing better with African Americans at this early stage than Obama is). He almost certainly will be forced at least somewhat to the left on some issues, and if he does win the nomination he'll need to pick someone more progressive than Biden as his running mate (possibly Abrams, possibly Elizabeth Warren).

Abrams has the major disadvantage of only being in office for two years at this point, and really should have waited until 2024/2028, regardless of what happened in the 2022 elections, and Obama/Kerry/Sink/Brown/Inslee can hit her on her lack of preparedness to be President, as could a top Republican, such as Ryan/Haley/Baker/Murkowski.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2019, 12:28:03 AM »

Stacey Abrams - 15%

Barack Obama -10%
Beto O'Rourke - 8%
Sherrod Brown - 7%
Alex Sink - 6%
Celia Curtis - 6%
Jay Inslee - 5%
John Kerry - 4%
Tulsi Gabbard - 3%
Pete Buttigieg - 2%
Undecided - 34%

Paul Ryan - 17%

Lisa Murkowski - 13%
Nikki Haley - 12%
Charlie Baker - 11%
Carly Fiorina - 8%
Ben Shapiro - 6%
Alveda King - 4%
Undecided - 29%

Even as President, Obama was neither establishment (he really couldn't be, being the first African American American President) nor a progressive, and his one major flaw is that he runs a major risk of splitting the African American vote with Abrams (though it looks like she's doing better with African Americans at this early stage than Obama is). He almost certainly will be forced at least somewhat to the left on some issues, and if he does win the nomination he'll need to pick someone more progressive than Biden as his running mate (possibly Abrams, possibly Elizabeth Warren).

Abrams has the major disadvantage of only being in office for two years at this point, and really should have waited until 2024/2028, regardless of what happened in the 2022 elections, and Obama/Kerry/Sink/Brown/Inslee can hit her on her lack of preparedness to be President, as could a top Republican, such as Ryan/Haley/Baker/Murkowski.

True, but the campaign's just getting started, so the other candidates haven't been hitting her that hard about that yet. Also, especially after Clinton botched 2016 in the party's eyes, the value of experience in the presidential primaries this cycle has decreased, allowing a candidate who in previous years would have been written off as dangerously unprepared (i.e. Stacey Abrams this time or, on a more OTL (and even less experienced) note, Donald Trump in 2016 following Romney's loss in '12) to rise to the top. Whether she holds that lead is up to yourself and Peanut.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2019, 10:44:22 PM »

Election Update 2020
with your hosts, Lester Holt and Chuck Todd

Holt: Good evening. I'm Lester Holt.

Todd: And I'm Chuck Todd.

Both: And this is your Election Update.

Holt: A bit quieter tonight than it has been for our last two updates, but we promise you, you won't regret tuning in tonight.

Todd: No, you won't. We begin tonight's update with yet another Republican candidate, Governor Nikki Haley of South Carolina.

Holt: Haley an old favorite among Republicans, but, according to the latest polls, she's actually running about the middle of the pack.

Todd: Well, she's running against the Veep, the maverick, and the most popular governor in the country!

Holt: True, quite a field over there. Meanwhile, on the Democratic side, Representative Tulsi Gabbard, the Assistant House Minority Leader, has thrown her hat in the ring.

Todd: She's definitely come up in the Democratic world in the last two years. The only question is, has she come up far enough?

Holt: An excellent question indeed. Now, we also have some new endorsements to bring to you.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Holt: And there you have it. Two more endorsements from significant players on the Democratic field. However, before we go, we've got a real treat for you tonight: an interview with a just-declared presidential candidate, former Georgia State Representative Alveda King, the niece of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., whose birthday it is today. Alveda, how are you tonight?

King: I'm doing well, tonight, Lester. How are you doing tonight?

Holt: Pleased to have you on, Alveda. Now, my first question for you tonight: In recent days, it would appear the Republican field has skyrocketed in both number and notoriety of candidates. How do you intend to keep your head above water in such a field?

King: I intend to battle and give off my reasoning as to why voters should support me as opposed to the other candidates. I know people have their reasons to support the other candidates, so I intend to meet with voters face to face and talk with them and ask them what it is that they want done in this country.

Holt: Sounds like a mostly grassroots effort, not at all a bad strategy in a year where people are growing tired of PACs and big donors. Here's my next question: As the niece of civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr., I imagine racial equality is a very important issue to you. Do you believe the Republican Party is ready to openly support programs in this vein, such as affirmative action, to which they had previously been ambivalent or opposed?

King: I don't believe they are ready to support affirmative action and I myself am against it. The idea of giving individuals more because their race was discriminated against in the past is, in my eyes, idiotic. Individuals should be able to get into colleges and universities based on their own merit and hard work, not their skin color.

Holt: Meritocracy, an age-old Republican tenet. Now then, Alveda, moving past all the nay-saying and doubts: if you win, what can we expect the first 100 days of your presidency to be like?

King: I will sit down and discuss what should happen with several citizens and hear from them and not Washington what they want to be done. No other president has ever done that before and I think it's needed.

Holt: A bit more direct form of democracy, sounds like there. Finally, Alveda, if you could tell the American public the one thing you feel is most important for them to know going forward from tonight, what would it be?

King: Support me based on my issues, not just because of my skin color and name. Look at how I speak and my stances on the issues and decide for yourself if I am the candidate for you. That is my message to Republicans who are watching this tonight.

Holt: Alveda King, thanks for being on and good luck with your campaign.

King: Thanks, Lester. It was an honor to be here tonight.

Holt: *faces camera* And that's all the time we have for tonight. I'm Lester Holt.

Holt: And we'll be here with you for the next Election Update.

If any other candidates would like an interview, please PM me. Interviews are first come, first serve.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2019, 03:01:55 PM by Lincoln Dep. Speaker Peanut »

Governor Abrams's Inaugural Address

Crowd Cheers!

Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »

I will bite. I want to join in as a independent
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2019, 06:31:38 PM »

I will bite. I want to join in as a independent

All right. Just tell me who you want.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2019, 09:37:24 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2019, 11:40:04 PM by DatGOTTho »

Election Update 2020
with your hosts, Lester Holt and Chuck Todd

Holt: Good evening. I'm Lester Holt.

Both: And this is your election update.

Holt: And we begin with a bombshell as former President Obama is announcing that he will be removing his name from contention for an attempted second term in 2020.

Holt: Bit of a shock there. Obama widely expected to run, but now declining.

Todd: Without a doubt, Lester. Meanwhile, just as one major player wades out of the Democratic pool, another stands on the side and says who he's backing. Let's listen in.

Holt: Senator Sanders one of the biggest names in the modern progressive movement following his near-upset of Secretary Clinton in the 2016 Democratic primaries.

Todd: Indeed he is, and, speaking of big names in the modern progressive movement, we have here the current frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.

Holt: Indeed we do. Ladies and gentlemen, we have here with us now Georgia's just-in governor, Stacey Abrams. Hey, Stacey.

Abrams: Hello, Lester. It's a pleasure to be here with you guys today, it's always great to share.

Holt: Indeed it is. Now, before President Obama bowed out of the 2020 race, you two and several other candidates were included in a Harvard/Harris poll that showed you leading Obama by five percentage points, and everyone else by at least seven. How do you intend to capitalize on that lead?

Abrams: Well, Lester, first we have to think about what that lead represents. People all across this country have grown tired of politics as usual. We don't want a Washington anymore that doesn't represent us.  I'm deeply thankful for the support and the hope that Americans seem to be placing in me: we've all seen the shockwaves we caused in Georgia because we ran a campaign by the people, for the people, and that's what we're seeing right now on the national stage: people don't want four more years of the same. President Obama understands this, he had the same outsider appeal back in '08, he was a great President, but is he the candidate for a 2020 America, after eight years outside the White House? I don't think so, and now it appears he doesn't, either. We don't want more of the same. Any run I have will be focused on precisely that, on my believing that a better America is brought on by looking forward, not back, and that's really what we're seeing in this polls: a party and a nation that want to go into the future; we want better healthcare, better education, a government that believes in you. I know that any campaign I run will be fueled by the people, and we're used to pulling off things that seem hard at first, and we can bring America into the future together. This country needs new, fresh leadership, and that's what I bring to the table, and that's what the nation wants.

Holt: Definitely a set of ideals Democrats are showing support for at this early stage. However, not all Democrats have been so taken by your progressive ideas. How do you intend to win them over?

Abrams: You could have said to me last year "Georgia will not elect a government with those progressive ideas". I intend to win those voters over because I propose to them a bold America where they all have a place, a dream, a hope. You look at the ideas I proposed, they have created a veritable revolution in Georgia, and not only those there, but in the 2016 primaries, all across the nation last year and, you know, that's what the people want, really. Some may deride me as an extremist, but that couldn't be further from the truth: I'm a person who understands that Americans are stronger when they come together and, though I will never waver in my ideals, I know that every dissenting voice contributes to a better America. Part of that inclusive dream is my restless drive to give my people a better life, to protect their healthcare, to defend education, to have a government that helps you and that is there for you. That is the vision I propose for America, and if you call me an extremist for believing in everyone's potential, I will listen to you. I will try to build a better life for you. The America that I outline to you is not an extremist or insane one, it is one where I believe in your shot to be whatever you want, one where I will fight for you restlessly so you have a roof, proper healthcare, the best education, all befitting of the greatest country in the world.

Holt: No arguing with you there, Governor. Now, with you doing so well in the polls, this obviously means that, at this point, you're the most likely candidate to be the Democratic nominee next year. Assuming you can finish off your Republican opponent, what will your first 100 days be like?

Abrams: They would be different and they would be better, if I can humbly say so. We would have a government that helps us up instead of pushing us down, that governs for the people, not the billionaires. We are going to have well-defined priorities, and we will push for policies that benefit us all. We're going to secure our Social Security, we're going to strengthen education, to pursue common sense in foreign policy, to have better healthcare, and to be a friendlier nation for every American. We will have a government that is by and for the people, and in my first 100 days as President we will address all those priorities just like I'm addressing them in Georgia: with a bold, inclusive vision that leaves no one behind and helps everyone up.

Holt: Definitely a powerful image there. Finally, Governor, if you could tell the American public the one thing you feel is most important for them to know going forward from tonight, what would it be?

Abrams: I'll tell the American people something that, deep down, they already know. I tell them that we need change: that these 8 years have led us to have a government that doesn't believe in you, that turns its back on those it's supposed to help. We need change, because we can't continue to have politics as usual, and we need a bold vision to build the America we want. We need it because our government needs it to represent every single person and to protect your rights and your safety. We need change so every kid in America has a shot at being whatever they want: to make them know they can be astronauts, doctors, Presidents, no matter their skin, gender, creed, or anything else: we're stronger when we're together, and we will build a better future for all of us, and we will show everyone that we can do it together and that we will truly change America.

Holt: Governor Abrams, it's been a pleasure having you on.

Abrams: Thank you, Lester. It was wonderful to be here tonight.

Holt: And that was Governor Stacey Abrams of Georgia, the current front-runner for the Democratic nomination, and, from those powerful answers, one can see why.

Todd: No doubts there, Lester. Join us Saturday night when we interview Republican runner-up, Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski.

Holt: Until then, I'm Lester Holt.

Both: And this has been your Election Update.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2019, 08:21:48 PM »

I would like to run a independent candidate as MLB commissioner Rob Manfred.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2019, 08:27:31 PM »

All righty.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »

Will have my  announcement speech soon
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2019, 08:54:56 PM »

So one of the reasons I was waiting until the 21st to start gameplay has just been postponed, potentially for a significant period of time. As a result, if everyone's ok with it, gameplay will now begin tomorrow at 18:00:00 UTC (1:00 PM EST, noon CST, 11:00 AM MST, 10:00 AM PST, 7:00 AM Hawaii time, and anywhere from 4:00 AM to 7:00 AM Sunday Australian time).

For anyone with concerns, all Election Update interviews will proceed as scheduled, and endorsements from potential candidates will lock as soon as gameplay begins (i.e. no one can "un-endorse" you by running as Oprah, Bernie, Collins, etc.). New polls that reflect former President Obama's withdrawal will be the opening post of the gameplay thread.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »

So one of the reasons I was waiting until the 21st to start gameplay has just been postponed, potentially for a significant period of time. As a result, if everyone's ok with it, gameplay will now begin tomorrow at 18:00:00 UTC (1:00 PM EST, noon CST, 11:00 AM MST, 10:00 AM PST, 7:00 AM Hawaii time, and anywhere from 4:00 AM to 7:00 AM Sunday Australian time).

For anyone with concerns, all Election Update interviews will proceed as scheduled, and endorsements from potential candidates will lock as soon as gameplay begins (i.e. no one can "un-endorse" you by running as Oprah, Bernie, Collins, etc.). New polls that reflect former President Obama's withdrawal will be the opening post of the gameplay thread.
Sounds great to me
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2019, 01:26:33 PM by Jaguar4life »

Rob Manfred Presidental announcement
Januray 15th 2019

Good evening as I come to you live I am here to speak with you on a special announcement. No non it’s not Pete Rose being unbanned from baseball. *Some of the Crowd laughs*

It doesn’t have to do with the state of the MLB and it doesn’t have to do with anything to baseball and no this isn’t a resignation speech.

Today I like to declare that I have declare a run for the highest office of the land the president of the United States  *People are stunned but clap anway*

However not as a Republican or Democrat rather as a Independent.  I want to put partisan politics aside and run for President the way the first president ran. Not as for a party and for donors but for the love of the country.  

I want to run against the parstian agenda of the Republicans and Democrats and run for what the people want conservative,moderate,independent or liberal

We have issues that politicians refused to fix like how are healthcare is broken and how are criminal justice system needs to be fixed.  How to fix our Opioid Crisis and how we can help fixing  unemployment without having to raise taxes on small businesses and the middle class.

And that is why I am running for President thank you!!
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »

And the gameplay thread is up!

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=311679.0
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2019, 08:08:41 PM »

For the endorsement credits, does 1 credit=1 endorsement?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2019, 08:10:00 PM »

For the endorsement credits, does 1 credit=1 endorsement?

Endorsement system: credits awarded at 1 per week for every 5% a candidate attains in the polls.
1 credit: "minor" endorsement: US House or state legislator
2 credits: former: Cabinet officials, Senators, Governors
3 credits: sitting Senators and Governors (sitting Cabinet officials will not endorse in the primaries)
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2019, 08:30:21 PM »

Will Republican primary polls be released this turn? Just wanted to see how many credits I have for endorsements.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2019, 08:57:18 PM »

Will Republican primary polls be released this turn? Just wanted to see how many credits I have for endorsements.
The Republican polls are the same as the original ones; I had to change the Democratic ones since Obama dropped out. You have 2.6 credits.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »

How many points For Manfred?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2019, 10:40:23 PM »

Since he's running as an independent, and it's usually so hard for them to gain traction, Manfred gets 1 credit per week early on.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2019, 02:42:31 PM »

1. Is Baker running?
2. Is Phil Scott an option?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »