The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:15:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)  (Read 11156 times)
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2019, 12:19:05 AM »

Damn. Obama didn't get the coveted Oprah endorsement this time?

Since Abrams will probably get enough credits from the first poll to make Oprah's endorsement a possibility, I went ahead and let Peanut have it (she'd be worth 3, in this case). If anyone else wants one pregame endorsement, I will allow those, as well.

Assuming no one claims Biden in the next ten days, I'll take him. Serving as a loyal VP for four years has to count for something.

I've a feeling there's going to be quite a game of musical chairs in the coming weeks.

While I can't control the actions of another player, I will say that running against Obama in this scenario is more of a Hillary thing than a Biden thing.

I can admit I can get really nitpicky and I'm going to do another nitpick right now. Last one for a while I promise. We're in a universe where Romney is the incumbent outgoing President, its way less opportunistic for someone like Joe Biden to run compared to the opportunity of defeating Trump. That being said I can see a lot of the old guard of the Democrats deciding it's time for fresh blood and choosing to call it quits in terms of Presidential politics. We really have no idea what's happened under the Romney Presidency, but it has to be way more stable politically speaking then the Trump Presidency OTL right now.

This is just a game though and people are going to have way different views on realism than I do.

When making the lists of candidates, I honestly mostly went off candidate lists for the 2020 election from Wikipedia (there's really long lists of Republicans prior to the 2016 election). This is also why I set up the policy where players weren't restricted to the lists of candidates, so there could be more "young gun" candidates that I wouldn't have thought of. Your interpretation of realism is fair and accurate, but the term "free-for-all" does come with an ethos of anarchy. If someone runs as Biden, I'll allow it, because (besides the fact he's on the lists), as you said, this is a game.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2019, 12:25:41 AM »

Can I get a list of things Romney accomplished in his Presidency?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2019, 12:27:00 AM »

It's getting kind of late, but I'll get you one tomorrow.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2019, 12:52:32 AM »

Pre- Campaign Schedule
(thought i'd go a little more into depth)

December 2018:
Float potential bid in MSNBC Interview

January-March 2019:
Appear on several media interviews; promoting policy proposals, floating potential bid, etc

April-May 2019:
Propose $1 trillion infrastructure bill to the Senate, continue interview spree, announce decision on Presidential bid "in a few months."

June 2019:
Deliver press conference officially announcing 2020 bid

July 2019:
Deliver official announcement speech
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2019, 09:40:11 AM »

Accomplishments of President Mitt Romney (2013-2019)

2 February 2013: reinstates Republican-style abortion laws

26 August 2013: offers new tax plan with significant cuts for all; unsurprisingly, due to the sheer increase in the deficit this would require, the Democratic Senate rejects it

15 September 2013: a more moderate tax bill is passed

3 December 2013: President Romney receives intelligence that Jama'at al-Tawhid wal-Jihad, the organization that will become ISIS, is planning to attack the Syrian government

16 December 2013: President Romney offers increased aid to the pro-democratic rebels, knowing full well it will result in Putin strengthening the government

31 March 2014: President Romney officially responds to the Russian invasion of Crimea and support for eastern Ukrainian rebels; as in OTL, sanctions are declared, but Russia is generally unperturbed

2014 (actual date unknown): Several high-ranking officials are informed why President Romney deliberately increased Syrian tensions the previous December

3 January 2015: A new Republican Senate is sworn in

12 January 2015: the original tax bill from 2013 is passed, outraging Democrats

2015: President Romney makes a speech encouraging Americans to accept the Supreme Court’s decision in Obergefell v. Hodges

28 May 2015: bid for re-election is announced on Tucker Carlson

16 July 2015: nineteen months since President Romney moved to weaken ISIS, it is viewed as a minor faction, little stronger than the Turkish-backed opposition in northwestern Syria in OTL

2 December 2015: President Romney announces further economic deregulation in 2016, with more “just a vote away”

14 February 2016: unemployment drops below 4%; however, many pundits believe it cannot last

2 June 2016: with the general election approaching, President Romney jokes about Hillary Clinton having “folders full of e-mails” on her private server

1 October 2016: Neil Gorsuch is confirmed to the Supreme Court

8 November 2016: President Romney wins re-election

23 January 2017: President Romney declares North Korea “a nation far too unstable, with a leader of similar ilk, to possess nuclear technology”

25 January 2017: the North Korean government responds, calling Romney a “dotard,” but the President does not return fire

3 March 2017: President Romney promises increased trade with the UK following Brexit while on a state visit in London

14 April 2017: President Romney finally responds to the “bathroom bill” controversy, stating that “this is a matter, in my opinion, for the states to decide individually, rather than the nation as a whole;” this draws significant ire from Democrats

22 May 2017: in response to a statement by Donald Trump encouraging a transgender ban in the military, Romney states “it is my belief that, regardless of your beliefs, you, as an American citizen, have a right to serve your country”

23 August 2017: far-right commentator Milo Yiannopoulos is thrown out of a rally for Republican gubernatorial candidate Ed Gillespie; this sparks some annoyance on the President’s right flank, particularly when he praises the decision

1 January 2018: President Romney endorses Mia Love in the race for the seat of retiring Senator Orrin Hatch

22 March 2018: a significant market downturn sparks concerns of a possible upcoming recession

1 April 2018: Presidents Romney and Xi announce a new trade deal, sparking ire from anti-Chinese factions of the party (largely riled by comments by businessman Donald Trump)

3 September 2018: Amy Coney Barrett is confirmed to the Supreme Court

4 January 2019: In his sixth State of the Union address, President Romney reminds the people of the 3.8% unemployment rate, 21500 Dow, and strength of “good, family values”

Any further updates will be included in news broadcasts.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2019, 10:05:47 AM »

ALVEDA KING 2020

A Dream Realized!

Atlanta, Georgia

January 15th, 2019

"Thank you! Thank you all! It's an honor to be here in front of all of you, in the city where my uncle was born 90 years ago. Truly, it is. And I am honored to see all of you here today. Let us also not forget that today is the day he was born as well. We honor a great man when we speak of him today, one who fought for all of humanity. Before I go on with my speech, I want to speak about my uncle some, for he truly deserves to be talked about.

My uncle's fight for the advancement of Civil Rights was not in vain. Thanks to this fight, we obtained gains such as the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlaws discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin and prohibits unequal application of voter registration requirements, racial segregation in schools, employment, and public accommodations. Then, a year later, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 has been adopted by Congress that enforced the voting rights guaranteed by the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution and secured the right to vote for racial minorities throughout the country, especially in the South. And I am proud to be a member of the party of Abraham Lincoln, the man who abolished slavery. But of course there is still more to do in order to put an end to racial injustices and I invest my energy to fix it.

Since leaving the Georgia State House in 1983, I have fought to continue the ideas that my uncle fought for throughout his life. I've been fighting for the civil rights of those who have yet to see the light of the day. My uncle was vehemently pro-life and anti-abortion and would've fought for the civil rights of those unborn if he lived longer. Many may say that a woman may make their own choices with their bodies as they please and can do as many abortions as they please, but I ask them this : Is the body of the Fetus allowed to make a choice for what happens to them in the process? That is a question that truly deserves answering.

I am also open to the idea of Homosexual marriage but under the condition that the federal government doesn't force it upon the states for it is the right of the people of a state, not the federal government, to choose what laws they will or won't pass. To those who will say that this is homophobic, I ask you, which creates more hate : Forcing people to do something or allowing the people to vote on it in state referendums in a Democratic process? If that majority of a state votes to support homosexual marriage in a referendum, then it will be instituted in that state.

On the Economic ideas, I believe we should continue to cut taxes on the Middle and Low classes and raise them on the upper classes in order to increase the revenue for the United States Government. In terms of foreign policy, I say it's time we leave the countries we are in and bring the troops home as it's time to reintroduce these heroes into the work force and increase our output massively.

It's time that for something to happen. I'm announcing my candidacy for President of the United States to do one thing : make a Dream realized! Only together can we win! Thank you.
"
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.48

P P P
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »

Can I be Alex Sink?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »

You got it.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.50, S: -8.50

« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »

CELIA CURTIS 2020
TOGETHER UNITED
January 25, 2019
New Orleans, Louisiana

Good afternoon. I've been all over this wonderful country full of wonderful faces and families, but frankly I am disgusted. I am very disgusted. Our nation is in crisis. The elitist one percent are destroying America as we know it! I know the elites. Some are good people, but most CEOs and politicians are complete scum. They've made the working men and women poorer than ever. I know what it's like to struggle. I managed to pull myself up by the bootstraps, but that simply is not enough anymore. The system is rigged against you! The politicians on both sides Republican and Democratic alike just don't care how awful the hardworking Americans are treated. The average Senator has a net worth of $15 million dollars and average U.S. Representative has a net worth of $5 million dollars. Now I myself have money, but If you look up the records you'll see I do not live beyond my means. How many millionaires have more than two homes, more than two cars, yachts, private jets? Far far too many. We're damn tired of this, aren't we? It needs to stop. It needs to end. There needs to be a revolution. That's why I'm running for the Democratic Nomination for President in 2020, because together we can fix our America. Together we can fix the unequal divide of wealth and bring back our communities bring back decent paying jobs with decent hour. Together we are united. Thank you!
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2019, 06:07:12 PM »

Can I run as Charlie Baker?
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.48

P P P
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »

ALEX SINK FOR PRESIDENT 2020
Miami, Florida

Hello Miami! I'm so glad to be here with you all today, in such a beautiful city, in the most prosperous, and the best state in this entire country. I'm here today, to start something that is going to expand our economy, strengthen our families, and put America Back on Track! For far too long Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan have monopolized this country, taken away our values, and destroyed our communities. I, and thousands of others, are here to say to the President, "NO LONGER!" That is why I officially announce my campaign to be the next President of the United States! Thank you all for coming, and let's get started!
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »

Absolutely.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2019, 07:00:40 PM »

Can I actually be Carly Fiorina, I just think this will create a more exciting Republican primary. If I can, can I switch my pre-endorsement to Barbara Comstock
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2019, 07:04:13 PM »

Can I actually be Carly Fiorina, I just think this will create a more exciting Republican primary. If I can, can I switch my pre-endorsement to Barbara Comstock

Ok, but your character will be locked once the 21st rolls around and the game actually starts.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.50, S: -8.50

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »

I've a feeling there's going to be quite a game of musical chairs in the coming weeks.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2019, 07:05:48 PM »

Ok, but your character will be locked once the 21st rolls around and the game actually starts.
Got it, I promise this will be the last one
x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »

Can I join the GOP primary as Ben Shapiro?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2019, 07:35:26 PM »

Can I join the GOP primary as Ben Shapiro?

You got it.
x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »

So is Shapiro in this timeline pretty much the same in real life?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2019, 07:41:16 PM »

So is Shapiro in this timeline pretty much the same in real life?

Effectively, yes.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »

Carly Fiorina Annuces Exploratory Commitee at RNC Meeting
Washington D.C. on January 13th, 2019

Carly Fiorina: I lived the American dream, I grew up in a small town and in a small house. I didn't grow up in a mansion like much of these Washington elites that have made a career out of politics. I not living off my parent's good fortunes. I lived in the lower middle class, my mom was a Sunday school teacher which is why I have such strong Christian values and my father was a judge. I started as a sectary at a small firm but I ended up as the CEO of Hewlett-Packard. Only in America can that happen and that is why this country is so special to me. That is why I will do anything to protect America and Americans.

That is why I am forming an exploratory committee to run for president of the United States. I believe I can continue the legacy of President Romney and I will do more to fix the problems plaguing this country. We still have aggressive pro-choice agenda in this nation, we have twenty-two trillion dollars in debt caused by the career politicians and only businesswomen can fix that. Under President Romney are the economy is thriving but we can't forget about the other problems our nations are facing and as the commander and chief, I will continue the Romney legacy and fix the debt and fix our social issues. I believe I can do that but I need my fellow Americans to believe that I am too before I officially announced for president.

Not only does our president need to fix the problems plaguing but our nominee needs to fix the problems plaguing our party. Our party has yet to reach out to minorities, we have yet to reach out to women. We need to start winning those people even if they are a hard voting block for Democrats. We already have seen these voting blocks start to fall, the blue wall is starting to fall and I will continue that. White Women voted for DeSantis, Renacci, Kemp, and Cruz. The Blue Wall started to crumble in 2012 and 2016 and it will fall in 2020 with the right candidate. I believe I am the right candidate which is why I am exploring a candidacy for the presidency.

It is time to fix the problems plaguing both the country and the party.
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2019, 10:55:11 PM »

Can I join as Senator Lisa Murkowski?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2019, 10:56:45 PM »

Can I join as Senator Lisa Murkowski?

Absolutely.
x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2019, 12:31:11 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2019, 12:23:18 PM by x-Guy »

Ben Shapiro Announces run for Presidency in 2020
Los Angeles, California

"Thank you folks for coming out here tonight! This is definitely a special occasion in this day and age. Today America is at a crossroads. Millions of Americans are realizing that the stakes will be high in 2020. With the upcoming 2020 elections there is a lot of issues to confront. Such as the economy, foreign policy, trade, healthcare, and immigration. While we have made decent progress after two terms of a Republican President I believe we should pursue greater goals for America's future! We should start drastically cutting wasteful government spending, improve free trade, strengthen healthcare's economy with deregulation, and cut the corporate tax rate to be competitive on the world's economy as we should be! It's time that we reign in a new era for the United States! A new era with new representation! Many may know me through my history of advocacy for these values. Well today I am not here to advocate on the issues that matter. I am here to run for the issues matter and fight for Americans all over this great nation! My name is Ben Shapiro and I am officially running for President of the United States!"
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »

Lisa Murkowski Announces Run for President in New Ad

“It all started back home in Alaska.”

“My father moved us around this great state for work, and what I saw inspired me.”

“I just knew my home needed representation by people who recognize its beauty and potential, so in 1990, I joined the mayor of Anchorage’s task force. At that moment, I knew my job was to help people.”

“I followed this calling to the Alaska House of Representatives, to the position of majority leader, and then to the Senate. Along the way, I’ve learned so much from my constituents. From the service members, who have sacrificed so much for this country, to native communities who have lived off of this land for longer than we can imagine, to public park employees, who are stewards of our beautiful wildlife, I am blessed to serve such an inspiring group of people.”

“Serving these communities has taught me something important, Alaskans, like the rest of Americans, care about solutions, not following any particular party line. Those who know me, know I’m an independent thinker, maybe it’s because of my dad, where I grew up, or some combination of the two, but I have never chosen party orthodoxy over service to the people of Alaska.”

“I believe America is hungry for this maverick mentality, that values solutions above all else. This is why I am forming an exploratory committee to run for President in 2020. America needs someone with a plan for growth, low taxes, a reformed healthcare system, and protections for marginalized groups in this country. I hope you will join me in crafting and delivering on that plan for America.”
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies