Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to make abortion a constitutional right in NY (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:39:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to make abortion a constitutional right in NY (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to make abortion a constitutional right in NY  (Read 2596 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: January 08, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »

I don't see any reason for a pro-choice person to oppose this, unless the wording is really strange or something.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:43:40 PM »

I'm not sure what the point of this is. Even if Roe v Wade is overruled at the federal level, why does abortion need to be a state constitutional right in New York rather than merely legal by state statute? Barring a tangible good reason, the seems like just Cuomo trying to play up his liberal Bona fides for "some reason".

To ensure that anti-abortion judges can't make it illegal in the state. If it's not in the Constitution, the NYSC could declare that fetuses are persons and entitled to the same rights as post-birth persons and thus make all elective abortions illegal.

I realize that's very far-fetched in New York today, but who knows what the judicial situation will be like years from now?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies