Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to make abortion a constitutional right in NY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to make abortion a constitutional right in NY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to make abortion a constitutional right in NY  (Read 2561 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »

Excellent news. Every precaution must be taken to defend bodily autonomy from anti-choice forces.

Bernadette Soubirous would not approve.
JG

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 08:22:32 PM »

Agreed. The only way to prevent encroachment upon this human right is to make it a constitutional right, thereby practically eliminating chances for the rightwing to chip away at it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 08:49:08 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 10:07:56 PM »

Agreed. The only way to prevent encroachment upon this human right is to make it a constitutional right, thereby practically eliminating chances for the rightwing to chip away at it.

I'm presuming you would support an amendment to the federal Constitution to enshrine abortion.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 10:10:13 PM »

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »

It's definitely within a state's power to do this.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »

I'm presuming you would support an amendment to the federal Constitution to enshrine abortion.

Yes. Although I’m no supporter of the Constitution, at least as long as we have it we can use it for progressive, human rights oriented ends.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 10:22:24 PM »

Yes. Although I’m no supporter of the Constitution, at least as long as we have it we can use it for progressive, human rights oriented ends.

Well, that is your opinion. I personally would not support such a move, but as I've said before, I've come to accept allowing abortion for the first trimester of pregnancy. And it is New York's right, as a sovereign state, to add this provision to it's Constitution, though I don't support that either.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 10:25:57 PM »

Well, that is your opinion. I personally would not support such a move, but as I've said before, I've come to accept allowing abortion for the first trimester of pregnancy. And it is New York's right, as a sovereign state, to add this provision to it's Constitution, though I don't support that either.

Obviously it’s my opinion; I never stated it was an objective fact.

What a person chooses to do with their body is none of your business, nor mine. This is especially true on an issue pertaining to women in a patriarchal society wherein men have unreasonable and unjustifiable power over female bodies.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 10:30:30 PM »

Obviously it’s my opinion; I never stated it was an objective fact.

What a person chooses to do with their body is none of your business, nor mine. This is especially true on an issue pertaining to women in a patriarchal society wherein men have unreasonable and unjustifiable power over female bodies.

As I said in my post, I've come to accept allowing abortion for the first trimester of pregnancy. As one should know, I am nowhere near the left end of the political spectrum as you are, and I don't buy the argument that there are absolutely no limits whatsoever they can be laid upon this practice. Everything ultimately has its limits. But since I know people are going to do whatever, and since Roe v. Wade is the law of the land, I recognize that there's nothing I can do about it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 11:08:29 PM »

I'm not sure what the point of this is. Even if Roe v Wade is overruled at the federal level, why does abortion need to be a state constitutional right in New York rather than merely legal by state statute? Barring a tangible good reason, the seems like just Cuomo trying to play up his liberal Bona fides for "some reason".
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 11:16:57 PM »

I'm not sure what the point of this is. Even if Roe v Wade is overruled at the federal level, why does abortion need to be a state constitutional right in New York rather than merely legal by state statute? Barring a tangible good reason, the seems like just Cuomo trying to play up his liberal Bona fides for "some reason".

Also worth pointing out that the timing is horrendous considering his tactic here is to hold up the budget for the sake of getting his way on a social issue.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 08:33:57 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 08:43:40 PM »

To ensure that anti-abortion judges can't make it illegal in the state. If it's not in the Constitution, the NYSC could declare that fetuses are persons and entitled to the same rights as post-birth persons and thus make all elective abortions illegal.

I realize that's very far-fetched in New York today, but who knows what the judicial situation will be like years from now?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 12:27:54 AM »

To ensure that anti-abortion judges can't make it illegal in the state. If it's not in the Constitution, the NYSC could declare that fetuses are persons and entitled to the same rights as post-birth persons and thus make all elective abortions illegal.

I realize that's very far-fetched in New York today, but who knows what the judicial situation will be like years from now?
Unless NYC sinks into the Atlantic Ocean, then abortion will always be legal in NYS.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 04:52:42 AM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 05:35:51 AM »

Hopetully this also allows minors to get abortions without parental consent?

Actually upon looking it up this is already the case. Good for New York.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 05:36:21 AM »

Doesn't this line of thinking implicitly undermine the constitutional argument for Roe?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »

Repeal medicaid coverage of abortions in NY and id take this.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:30 PM »

And in the meantime they are going to pass a bill that would stop killing a fetus over 24 weeks from being prosecuted as homicide, even if the woman wants the baby, because muh women's right to choose

Party of compassion, folks.  Remember that only the right-wing does deplorable things, so this can't possibly be deplorable.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »

Friendly reminder of the status of abortion in the US pre-Roe v. Wade:

Yellow = Legal on request
Green = Legal in case of danger to woman's health, rape or incest, or likely damaged fetus
Purple = Legal in cases of rape
Blue = Legal in cases of danger to woman's health
Red = Illegal

Be like Vermont, not Florida.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2019, 12:15:32 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2019, 06:50:06 PM »

Friendly reminder of the status of abortion in the US pre-Roe v. Wade:

Yellow = Legal on request
Green = Legal in case of danger to woman's health, rape or incest, or likely damaged fetus
Purple = Legal in cases of rape
Blue = Legal in cases of danger to woman's health
Red = Illegal

Be like Vermont, not Florida.

Yeah, we can't protect women against dangers to their health!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies