MS-Sen 1982: Who won the white vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:42:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  MS-Sen 1982: Who won the white vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who?
John Stennis

Haley Barbour

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: MS-Sen 1982: Who won the white vote?  (Read 832 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2019, 06:40:52 PM »

Results was 64-36 Stennis. I'm wondering if that was enough for him to have won white voters, since black voters are usually at least 20% of the vote in MS at a minimum and usually vote 95% Democratic.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:14:58 PM »

No.  The Whitest parts of the state were Stennis' best.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 01:01:31 AM »

What would be your guess as to the percentage of the white vote Stennis received?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 01:40:37 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2019, 01:49:27 PM by Del Tachi »

What would be your guess as to the percentage of the white vote Stennis received?

Highly dependent on the region.  Probably over 70% in the Northeast and around the Coast, maybe 40% in the Delta, and 35% in Metro Jackson?

This is definitely more an urban/rural divide than a racial one.  Black turnout was especially high in the Delta that year due to a competitive House race, but I suspect a lot of Black voters there may have under-voted or voted for Barbour.  Barbour himself estimated he got 20-25% of the Black vote in 1982.

Which, if we assume the Black vote in 30% of the electorate and Barbour wins 20% of them...

30*0.20 = 6% of the electorate is Black Barbour voters, which means Barbour has to win about 42% of the 70% White electorate to get to 36% of the statewide vote?  I may be overestimating the size of the Black electorate (or Barbour's performance among them), so that would actually improve his numbers with White voters.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:10 PM »

Highly dependent on the region.  Probably over 70% in the Northeast and around the Coast, maybe 40% in the Delta, and 35% in Metro Jackson?

This is definitely more an urban/rural divide than a racial one.  Black turnout was especially high in the Delta that year due to a competitive House race, but I suspect a lot of Black voters there may have under-voted or voted for Barbour.  Barbour himself estimated he got 20-25% of the Black vote in 1982.

Which, if we assume the Black vote in 30% of the electorate and Barbour wins 20% of them...

30*0.20 = 6% of the electorate is Black Barbour voters, which means Barbour has to win about 42% of the 70% White electorate to get to 36% of the statewide vote?  I may be overestimating the size of the Black electorate (or Barbour's performance among them), so that would actually improve his numbers with White voters.

So, your estimate is that the white vote went ~58-42% Stennis? That seems reasonable. And if I am not mistaken, the black share of Mississippi's population and voting electorate was lower in 1982 than it is now. So that makes it more likely that Stennis won the white vote comfortably.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies