Is one of my former professors a lunatic nutjob?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:58:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is one of my former professors a lunatic nutjob?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Is one of my former professors a lunatic nutjob?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Is one of my former professors a lunatic nutjob?  (Read 7990 times)
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 12:56:01 PM »

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Where's the proof?

I'll try to look up what that video was called. It has the proof. I know it's quite popular on DU.

Wait, you mean some ethnic studies professor believes this video and it's popular on DU?  It must be true!

He used the Kashmiri earthquake as an opportunity to talk about how Bush only lent them 8 hour helicopters to deal with relief out of the hundreds we have in the region, and how the Bush administration has screwed up on just about every disaster relief case so far.

Right, because when Bush became president, he assumed responsibility for all disaster relief in the entire world.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2005, 01:01:25 PM »

Right, because when Bush became president, he assumed responsibility for all disaster relief in the entire world.

He was mostly talking about Katrina though.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2005, 02:26:21 PM »

As for what the video had to do with the class, well nothing. But Swingers and The Breakfast Club don't have anything to do with Speech either, and we got to watch those movies in that class.

As for using the class to bash Bush and push political views, I can't think of many professors who DON'T do that. Take my Geography professor this year. He used the Kashmiri earthquake as an opportunity to talk about how Bush only lent them 8 hour helicopters to deal with relief out of the hundreds we have in the region, and how the Bush administration has screwed up on just about every disaster relief case so far.

Oh, and the Ethnic Studies guy is never being fired. He is very very popular among students, and the university is so liberal it distributed "voter guides" that were published by an openly communist organization.

Wow, your university sucks ass.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 02:53:59 PM »

As for what the video had to do with the class, well nothing. But Swingers and The Breakfast Club don't have anything to do with Speech either, and we got to watch those movies in that class.

As for using the class to bash Bush and push political views, I can't think of many professors who DON'T do that. Take my Geography professor this year. He used the Kashmiri earthquake as an opportunity to talk about how Bush only lent them 8 hour helicopters to deal with relief out of the hundreds we have in the region, and how the Bush administration has screwed up on just about every disaster relief case so far.

Oh, and the Ethnic Studies guy is never being fired. He is very very popular among students, and the university is so liberal it distributed "voter guides" that were published by an openly communist organization.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is it a sort of U.S version of Thames Valley?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 04:23:23 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I live in a fairly liberal part of Canada, which is supposedly the world center for anti-Americanism, and I've only once had a professor make any negative comments about Bush, and that was just an off-the-cuff remark that was not intended to be part of the lecture.

I'm curious which came first: BRTD's ideology or his university.  I certainly have a feeling there's a connection between them in one way or another.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 04:42:18 PM »

He's deserving of a trip to the gas chambers. Oh, and your geography "professor" is a clueless fool also. Nice role models.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 05:22:12 PM »

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Where's the proof?

I'll try to look up what that video was called. It has the proof. I know it's quite popular on DU.

I'd like to see that video please.

It's probably another Alex Jones tape and you have posted his stuff here before, so I'm not surprised you believe that Bush let the attacks happen, if not outright planned them. Lets see, those believing Bush knew and let the attacks happen:

BRTD
KillerPollo
opebo
jfern (though hasn't responded yet)
Who's the fith person to vote no?

Nice list, eh?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 05:52:47 PM »

Bandit, I expect.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 09:12:05 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 09:29:50 PM »

Censorship, prude?

This man is not a nutjob, BRTD, and may be generally correct.  However if Bush did arrange 9/11, it wasn't done for any measly piplines, it was done for the enormous transfer of money from the public treasury to the 'defense contractors' - essentially his constituency.  Also the jingoistic effect which helped him in the elections was a factor.

No, not censorship.  If a professor taught that the world was flat, he should be fired for it.  Having "credentials" does not give give a person a license to lie.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2005, 09:40:55 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2005, 09:45:21 PM by Left of the Dial »

I live in a fairly liberal part of Canada, which is supposedly the world center for anti-Americanism, and I've only once had a professor make any negative comments about Bush, and that was just an off-the-cuff remark that was not intended to be part of the lecture.

I'm curious which came first: BRTD's ideology or his university.  I certainly have a feeling there's a connection between them in one way or another.

Well of course. Your professors don't have to live under Bush. If you had a Conservative government, you probably would hear more.

As to which came first, ideology for the most part. I largely developed it near the end of my junior year. That's part of what made me really look forward to college, its reputation as a liberal haven. When I graduated I was actually a bit more of a militant leftist. I was an atheist who largely adhered to Marxist ideology, in fact I was a lot like opebo without being sex crazed. I've gotten much more sex crazed since then.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never heard of that place, but it is slightly to the right of the University of Minnesota. Not too different from most universities.

Oh, and your geography "professor" is a clueless fool also.

A clueless fool who also has a Ph.D. and has had his writings published in some prominent journals? They both have high scores on www.ratemyprofessors.com too.

Those are just two examples though, I've had a ton more. There was my Business Ethics professor who showed the class the blatantly far left wing biased documentary "The Corporation" and an excerpt from a Michael Moore film.  There's my government professor this semester who at least TRIES to leave his politics out of the class, but doesn't do so usually. And then there was my Urban Design one who would give lectures on suburbs that are quite similar to posts about them, unsurprisingly she actually lived in Minneapolis and was a U of M grad student. (She was HOT too. I really really enjoyed that class Smiley )
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2005, 09:43:04 PM »

BRTD, what is the name of your university?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2005, 09:46:46 PM »

Actual name is Minnesota State University, Mankato but it's usually just called Minnesota State University (there are other Minnesota State Universities, but they have different names.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2005, 09:50:31 PM »

Actual name is Minnesota State University, Mankato but it's usually just called Minnesota State University (there are other Minnesota State Universities, but they have different names.

Is your name Joe Kunkel?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2005, 09:52:43 PM »

Is your name Joe Kunkel?

no
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2005, 10:26:29 PM »

My professors are smarter and less idiotic than yours. Not that that's difficult to accomplish, of course.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2005, 10:33:35 PM »

Well like I said, the Rate My Professors scores show that the students sure like them.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2005, 10:34:44 PM »

Well like I said, the Rate My Professors scores show that the students sure like them.
What a pathetic university.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2005, 10:40:27 PM »

Yep.

Thing I really hate about these arguements is that they give Bush's supporters a handy strawman to attack so they can ignore more legitimate critisisms (that he failed to take terrorism very seriously until 9/11, that he exploited it ruthlessly for political gain, that he implied - though never directly claimed, nonetheless intentionally misled - the public into linking the attacks with Iraq, etc).
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2005, 10:54:01 PM »

Well then, that means these professors must be right.  What else could it mean? 

Often, the best teachers are the ones that you don't like so much because they tell you what you need to know, not what you want to hear.  It doesn't sound as if there are too many of them at Minnesota State.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2005, 10:55:46 PM »

Yep.

Thing I really hate about these arguements is that they give Bush's supporters a handy strawman to attack so they can ignore more legitimate critisisms (that he failed to take terrorism very seriously until 9/11, that he exploited it ruthlessly for political gain, that he implied - though never directly claimed, nonetheless intentionally misled - the public into linking the attacks with Iraq, etc).

Please don't lump all Bush supporters into one pile.  I have never posted here (nor do I feel) that Saddam Hussein had known about al-Qaeda's plans for 9/11 prior to the attack. 

I have also criticized the prior administration for it emphasis and response to prior terrorist attacks.  If you want to say that there was no major anti-terror effort in the first 8 months of the Bush administration, I'll agree (though they were in the planning stage).  I'll add that there was no effective anti-terror policy in the prior 8 years of the Clinton administration.  The difference was that Bush, prior to 9/11, was moving more quickly in that direction.

I've also tried to draw a distinction between the Democrats and the Loony Left on this site.  You'll note that I've not referred to you as the latter.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2005, 11:07:27 PM »

Yep.

Please don't lump all Bush supporters into one pile.  I have never posted here (nor do I feel) that Saddam Hussein had known about al-Qaeda's plans for 9/11 prior to the attack. 

I have also criticized the prior administration for it emphasis and response to prior terrorist attacks.  If you want to say that there was no major anti-terror effort in the first 8 months of the Bush administration, I'll agree (though they were in the planning stage).  I'll add that there was no effective anti-terror policy in the prior 8 years of the Clinton administration.  The difference was that Bush, prior to 9/11, was moving more quickly in that direction.

I've also tried to draw a distinction between the Democrats and the Loony Left on this site.  You'll note that I've not referred to you as the latter.

It's good to see a balanced view of the issue every once in a while.  Thanks, J.J.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2005, 12:27:26 AM »

Theres obviously a reason why conservatives are absent at universities and it largely stems from academic failure at the high school level.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2005, 12:43:37 AM »

I voted No

Your Professor may or may not be right, but I respect his right to air his beliefs. Parts of what he said have merit.

One of my professor's introduced our class to Noam Chomsky, and for that I am grateful.

You shouldn't tell people about this, Left of the Dial, it'll only vindicate the whole notion of colleges as "Ivory Towers" of liberalism.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2005, 12:48:18 AM »

Yeah, I'm immensely thankful that I'm a Mathematics major - at least I have every reason to expect that my math professors, who are supposed to be teaching math, will not blindly spew out hyper-liberal political bullsh**t at random intervals and expect everyone to be stupid enough to believe it without question. If we were discussing a hyper-conservative professor, I'm sure that the hyper-liberals here would be pouncing all over him/her; I don't see why we make exceptions for certain... oh wait, it's because we are with someone who makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside and therefore the person must be absolutely right!!!!11

P.S. I would not even tolerate a Libertarian professor randomly spewing out completely irrelevant and presumably untruthful bullsh**t that detracts from the lecture, so don't start trying to look for ways to punch holes in my argument.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies