Re: Swiss elections and referenda - New Federal Councilor(s) election 7 December (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:09:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Re: Swiss elections and referenda - New Federal Councilor(s) election 7 December (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Re: Swiss elections and referenda - New Federal Councilor(s) election 7 December  (Read 52948 times)
Omega21

« on: March 07, 2021, 03:52:42 PM »

Switzerland really putting the dêmos and κράτος in Democracy.

Such a wonderful country, and one of the only ones with a real, unspoiled Democracy, as it was meant to function in the first place.
Omega21

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 08:24:20 PM »

Surprised the burka ban is passing only 51-49. You normally expect this kind of question to be the one that very easily wins if the past decade of European politics taught me anything tbh

The depressing thing for me is that it probably would have actually failed had it not been for the toxic French debate on "Islam" seeping over the border. Sometimes I wonder if the MCG didn't have the right sort of attitude towards les frouzes 😏

But otherwise... yeah, Switzerland is probably one of the more open minded European countries with regards to immigrants these days. Almost certainly the only one that has actually become more open towards them. Which, well, imagine telling that to someone 20 years ago, but here we are.

Any guess as to why Switzerland has become more friendly towards immigration as most of the rest of Europe has taken the opposite direction?

Random uneducated guess here, but I assume not taking in the same insane amount of refugees like Austria did probably didn't allow for as much of a resurgence in right-wing politics like here (FPÖ and ÖVP's shift under Kurz).

Had they taken in 100,000 plus in 2015, I assume the landscape would be different today.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies