Re: Swiss elections and referenda - New Federal Councilor(s) election 7 December (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:55:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Re: Swiss elections and referenda - New Federal Councilor(s) election 7 December (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Re: Swiss elections and referenda - New Federal Councilor(s) election 7 December  (Read 52946 times)
njwes
United States

« on: January 29, 2021, 02:06:39 PM »

Realistically speaking (and I know these sorts of stats are difficult to collect), how many women in Switzerland actually wear a burqa? And by that I mean a true burqa, with the total face and eye coverage, not the niqab etc.
njwes
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 11:02:47 PM »

Realistically speaking (and I know these sorts of stats are difficult to collect), how many women in Switzerland actually wear a burqa? And by that I mean a true burqa, with the total face and eye coverage, not the niqab etc.

As in an Taliban Afghan style burqa? The answer is very probably zero. Estimates that even only around 20-30 women wear a niqab in the country as a whole, most of whom are converts, rather than people who were brought up Muslim.

With that in mind, niqabs are a fairly common sight in the summer in places like Geneva, Lucerne or the alps as they are very popular with tourists from the Gulf countries.

So if the referendum were to succeed, what exactly would be banned? I mean, how is the garb that the referendum is seeking to ban actually specifically defined?
njwes
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 06:34:24 PM »

Do you think that if the free trade referendum had been opposed along the lines of skepticism to free trade/criticism of the working conditions free trade can sometimes result in, it could have been rejected? Or do you think that the environmental line was actually more effective for the "No" campaign?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies