Southern Legislation Introduction Thread - 2019/2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:09:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Legislation Introduction Thread - 2019/2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Southern Legislation Introduction Thread - 2019/2020  (Read 13410 times)
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2019, 07:17:16 AM »

Amendment to the Southern Energy Act

The original bill is below with changes shown.

Section 1: Title

This bill will be known as the Southern Energy Act

Section 2: Establishment of a Survey

1: Before a group or entity gets approval from the Southern Government, a survey of the land must be conducted.

2: This survey should indicate where the most opportune areas for energy resource extraction or the establishment of renewable energy with minimal disruption to the wildlife and ecosystem of an area.

3: Drilling on parks maintained by the Southern Government will be prohibited.

4:3: This survey will be conducted by a group of soil scientists, geologists, and other experts.

5:4: Additional surveys will also be held in regards to solar panel installation and wind turbine installation.

5: Drilling on parks and/or lands owned and/or maintained by the Southern Government will be prohibited.

6: The Government commissions the survey upon approval of a company or organization to drill.

Section 3: Oil and Gas Drilling

1: The Southern Government will hereby allow drilling on public lands owned and maintained by the Southern Government.

2: Any business or corporation that wishes to drill shall maintain federal safety standards.

3: Sites that are poorly maintained by companies or organizations are liable for any damage to lands and are subject to cleanup penalties.

Section 4:3: Renewable Energy

1: The Southern Government will hereby allow the establishment of solar panels, and wind turbines renewable energy systems to be placed in lands operated by the Southern Government.

2: The Southern Government will hold companies or organizations that wish to install these accountable to federal safety standards.

Section 5:4: Taxation

1: Companies that wish to operate on Southern land will receive an additional 2% tax on profits received from energy production on those lands.

Section 6:5: Contracts

1: The Governor of the South will have the power to approve any and all contracts having to do with energy companies on public lands. I: The Southern Chamber can block any contract with 2/3rds majority vote.

Section 7:6: Implementation

This bill will take effect immediately upon being signed into law.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2019, 07:18:39 AM »

The Equality To Moscow Act (EMA)

Be it resolved by the Chamber of Delegates to recommend to the Nyman government further economic sanctions against the Russian Federation for that nation's treatment of the LGBT community, journalists and the press, women, and political opposition.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2019, 07:20:19 AM »

The Saudi Justice Act (SJA)

Be it resolved by the Chamber of Delegates to recommend to Nyman to recognize Saudi Arabia as a terrorism-sponsoring state, to condemn its sexist and homophobic laws and to request that nation withdraw from military intervention in Yemen.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2019, 07:25:04 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2019, 07:50:04 PM by Southern Delegate West_Midlander »

The Armenian Genocide Resolution

Be it resolved by the Chamber of Delegates:

To recommend to the Nyman government to recognize the Armenian genocide and to request that the Republic of Turkey withdraw militarily from Syria completely. The Chamber also requests Nyman consider restoring the military patrol line along the Syria-Turkey border which had previously prevented the Turkish invasion of Syria.

EDIT: added a title
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2019, 07:26:33 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2020, 06:16:08 PM by West_Midlander »

The End-The-Yemeni-War Resolution

To recommend to Nyman to consider ending US involvement in the Yemeni War in accordance with the War Powers Act.

EDIT: added a title
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2019, 07:27:39 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2019, 07:48:37 PM by Southern Delegate West_Midlander »

To recommend to Nyman to recognize the change in Bolivian leadership as a coup d'etat.

Withdrawing this bill.

A bill to this effect is on the floor of the Atlasian House.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2019, 07:41:56 AM »

Amendment to the Gubernatorial Appointments Act

Section 2 will be removed from the bill.

Gubernatorial Appointments Act

1) The Governor can no longer appoint NPC's or non playable characters into positions that have to be nominated by the Executive.

2) Citizens of the Southern Region that have been nominated to a position by the Governor have to exceed 100 posts to be appointed into position that they have been nominated for.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2019, 07:46:00 AM »

The Economic Freedom Act (EFA)

1. The Boycott Boycott Act will hereby be repealed.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2019, 06:29:39 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2020, 09:08:36 PM by West_Midlander »

Southern Paygo Repeal Act

1. The Regional Statutory PAYASYOUGO Act is hereby repealed in full.

Authored by: MB

Withdrawn
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2020, 01:35:06 AM »

Delegate Appointment Clarification Act

The Governor has the ultimate authority to fill vacant seats in the Southern Chamber of Delegates, and no special election shall be held for those seats.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2020, 06:48:26 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2020, 06:53:51 PM by West_Midlander »

Amendment to the Gubernatorial Appointments Act

Section 2 will be removed from the bill.

Gubernatorial Appointments Act

1) The Governor can no longer appoint NPC's or non playable characters into positions that have to be nominated by the Executive.

2) Citizens of the Southern Region that have been nominated to a position by the Governor have to exceed 100 posts to be appointed into position that they have been nominated for.

The Economic Freedom Act (EFA)

1. The Boycott Boycott Act will hereby be repealed.

I would like to re-introduce these two bills for the current session.

FTR:

Quote from: Article IV, Section III of the Southern Constitution
Legislation shall be considered by the legislature upon petition of the governor, any representative [Delegate] or two Southerners.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2020, 08:31:30 PM »

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Stopping Animal Sexual Abuse (SASA) Act."

Section 2 (Uniformity of laws on bestiality)
i. Bestiality shall be classified as a misdemeanor punishable with up to one years' imprisonment and no more than $2,000 in fines in all states and external territories of the Southern Region.

Section 3 (Animal abuse registry)
i. A Southern Animal Abuser Registry (SAAR) is hereby established as a compendium of persons convicted of the abuse, neglect, or maltreatment of animals, including but not limited to acts of bestiality.
ii. All persons so convicted, as well as all persons convicted of the maltreatment of animals under the laws of the Republic or another region, state, territory, or local jurisdiction thereof who shall reside in the South, shall be required to register with the SAAR.
iii. Registrants shall be prohibited from owning an animal, sharing the same place of residence with an animal, or performing paid or unpaid labor related to the care of animals.
iv. The above two clauses shall be in effect for a person registered in the SAAR for up to ten years. After this ten year period has lapsed, their registration will be removed from the SAAR.

Introducing this for the current session. Truman can vouch for me that the original idea for this was mine.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »

Regional Sport Act

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Regional Sport Act (RSA)."

Section 2 (Regional sport)
i. The regional sport of the Southern region shall be basketball.

Section 3 (Regional day)
i. In honor of the late Kobe Bryant, a national icon, January 26th shall be designated as Kobe Bryant Day.
ii. During this day, the flag of the South shall be flown at half staff in remembrance.

Would like to introduce this bill for the 17th session.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2020, 03:03:50 PM »

Restructured Employment For Miners Act (REMA)

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Restructured Employment For Miners Act"

Section 2 (Employment)
i. Miners displaced by structural unemployment are hereby to be transitioned into a new employment program

Section 3 (Job training)
i. The new employment program must include job training for technical skill acquisition
ii. The employment program must meet a specified number of hours (40 hours weekly) in preparation for a new occupation

Section 4 (Placement)
i. Miners who successfully complete the program may utilize a temporary agency in order to secure employment in their new fields
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2020, 02:34:08 AM »

Zero-Rating Act (ZRA):

Section 1 (Definitions):
i."Zero-rating" is defined as "the practice of Internet Service Providers (ISPs) allowing customers to access certain content without that traffic count against their data caps."
ii."Zero-rated content" is defined as the "content which ISPs do not count against customer's data caps."

Section 2 (Permissible Zero-Rating):
i. The Southern Region shall permit the practice of zero-rating, provided that ISPs determine which content is zero-rated according to technical requirements (i.e. bandwidth, video resolution, etc.), and do not discriminate against content which meets those technical requirements.
ii. ISPs offering zero-rated plans in the Southern Region shall publish the technical requirements used to determine which content can be zero-rated under their plans.

Section 3 (Waivers):
i. ISPs with less than 1/10th market share in the Southern Region can apply for a waiver to exempt themselves from the content non-discrimination requirement
ii. ISPs with greater than 1/10th market share in the Southern Region are prohibited from applying for waivers from the content non-discrimination requirement, and any pre-existing waivers are voided within a year of companies attaining greater than 1/10th market share

Section 4 (Enforcement):
i. the Attorney General is empowered to enforce this act by reasonable means, and initiate civil suits against ISPs found to be violating any provisions of this law

---

Introducing this bill for consideration in the current session.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2020, 08:54:15 PM »

The Equality in Sexual Education Act
     1. No school which receives funding from the Government of Atlasia or the Southern Region may exclude children who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender or children who are raised in a household by parents who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity of either the child or the parent(s). This does not apply to private schools that receive no funding from either the government of Atlasia or the Southern Region.
     2. All schools that receive funding from the Government of Atlasia or Southern Region must include LGBT sexual education in any health and sexual education course taught at the school, beginning in 6th Grade. The LGBT sexual education must be taught in the same manner that heterosexual sexual education is instructed, with a special focus on sexual transmitted infections and the HIV/AIDS crisis. This does not apply to private schools that receive no funding from either the government of Atlasia or the Southern Region.

Authored by: Leinad

Based on a federal bill written by Wulfric

Sponsor: myself
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2020, 08:57:16 PM »

Amendment to the Department of Infrastructure and Environment Act
-The Department of Infrastructure and Environment shall be denoted as DoIE throughout the following.

Be it enacted:

1.) The DoIE shall be financed by the Chamber of Delegates through the passing of the budget.

2.) The DoIE shall be led by a Secretary to be appointed by the Governor.

3.)2.) The DoIE shall be tasked with leading infrastructure and environmental projects as directed by law.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2020, 09:06:50 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2020, 09:12:28 PM by Southern Gov. West_Midlander »

The Southern Euthanasia Ban of 2020

Given that euthanasia has been delivered to those who are neither in terminal illness nor in pain.

Given that the weak and vulnerable in society should not feel pressure to kill themselves.

Given that euthanasia has been abused as a tool to eradicate undesirables in the past.

Euthanasia is hereby banned throughout the South. No doctor or nurse may apply treatment with the primary intent of killing their patient. Doctors or nurses found liable for euthanasia, including passive euthanasia, shall be fined $50,000 for the first offense, and stripped of their license on the second offense. Further offenses will result in prosecution for murder in the first degree.

Based heavily on the Southern Ban on Euthanasia Act
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2020, 09:16:39 PM »

Tenant Protection Act

Section 1: Definitions
i. The title of this act shall be the "Tenant Protection Act"
ii. A tenant shall be defined as an individual who has occupancy of a residential unit through a lease

Section 2: Procedure
i. A tenant who deemed that discrimination has occurred on the basis of income may file documentation to the Attorney General's office

Section 3: Protections
i. A landlord may not use price discrimination as a means of increasing property value or displacing tenants
ii. Any landlord found in violation may be subject to criminal penalties
iii. Sanctions may be appropriately set at the discretion of the Attorney General

Section 4: Authority
i. May be enforced by the Attorney General of the South against those found in violation of this act

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2020, 06:20:15 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2020, 08:35:51 PM by Southern Gov. West_Midlander »

Amendment to the Southern Constitution, Article II: Bill of Rights

Whereas the right to bear arms should be included in the regional Constitution. Additionally, the right of this region to form and maintain a militia should be stated in the Southern Constitution.

To be added to the Southern Constitution, Article II: Bill of Rights

11. The Right To Bear Arms and of the Region to Form and Maintain a Militia — Being necessary to the security of a free region, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. Also, a well regulated Militia may be formed and maintained by the Southern region.

Source, modified: The US Bill of Rights

Withdrawn because this is not needed as the provisions within are included under the expansion of the Right to Security in DeadPrez's Modifications to Article II: Bill of Rights. That amendment passed the Southern electorate by a wide margin last year. I was unaware of the updated language in the regional Bill of Rights because the wiki is out of date, but came across the bill today.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2020, 11:21:57 PM »

Youth Risk Prevention Act (YRPA)

Section 1. Title
i. The title of this act shall be the Alternative Education and Youth Risk Prevention Act

Section 2. Services
a. Background, Necessity for legislation

i. Children living in poverty who have one or more parents incarcerated, are the victims of abuse or neglect, or are homeless often experience a range of trauma and stress. This stress damages the child's physical, social, mental, emotional, and behavioral health and well-being.

The needs of vulnerable populations must be met, as they have a diminished ability to advocate for themselves compared to their peers. This becomes a vicious cycle.

The purpose of this act is to establish a task force to create a system for evaluating the at risk youth and those who have emergent or persistent behaviors, academic challenges and are in need of support.

ii. An at risk youth shall be defined as a minor who is enrolled in a high school within the Southern region with a deceased or incarcerated parent or guardian.

iii. A support network which consists of an older peer shall be assigned at the beginning of the school year, and the at risk youth must be enrolled in counseling services with the high school guidance counselor.

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2020, 11:26:22 PM »

Community Empowerment Act (CEA)

Section 1. Title
i. The title of this act shall be the Community Empowerment Act.

Section 2. Purpose
i. This act shall require those attending a high school in the Southern region to complete additional requirements for graduation.
ii. These additional requirements include up to 5 hours per week of mandatory community service.
iii. The community service component cannot be used to replace credit hours for coursework but may be used in addition to coursework.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2020, 04:06:24 AM »

The Southern Euthanasia Ban of 2020

Given that euthanasia has been delivered to those who are neither in terminal illness nor in pain.

Given that the weak and vulnerable in society should not feel pressure to kill themselves.

Given that euthanasia has been abused as a tool to eradicate undesirables in the past.

Euthanasia is hereby banned throughout the South. No doctor or nurse may apply treatment with the primary intent of killing their patient. Doctors or nurses found liable for euthanasia, including passive euthanasia, shall be fined $50,000 for the first offense, and stripped of their license on the second offense. Further offenses will result in prosecution for murder in the first degree.

Based heavily on the Southern Ban on Euthanasia Act
I sign as a co-sponsor of this legislation.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2020, 10:16:26 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2020, 10:30:14 AM by Southern Gov. West_Midlander »

I was waiting to propose a budget based on new calculations by the Comptroller General. However, the office of the Comptroller General had remained vacant for months, including my entire tenure as Governor. [Note: The Office is still vacant as Clyde, who was nominated yesterday, has to be confirmed by the Senate.] Without access to the spreadsheet for calculating the Southern budget, as I am not the CG, I don't believe I can do more in the interest of introducing a new budget for the region. As I am not the CG, I do not believe it would be within the bounds of this Office to attempt to calculate the cost of legislation passed throughout the past year and without access to the Southern government expense and revenue spreadsheet.

Thank you,

- Governor West_Midlander

Southern Budget Act
Section 1: This bill will hereby be known as the Southern Budget Act of 2020

Section 2: Spending and Appropriations
A: for the fiscal period beginning in March of 2020, the following departments will be funded at the following levels

* Pensions
Base: $68.00 Billion
Total: $68.00 Billion (100.00%)

* Healthcare
Base: $200.53 Billion
Jeb Stuart Act: $500,000
Raccoon Resistance Act: $20 Million
Doctors and Hospitals Act: $149 Million
Generic Spending: $190.00 Billion
Total: $190.17 Billion (100.00%)

* Education
Base: $120.00 Billion
Development of Foreign Language Programs in Schools Act: $10 Million
Young Athletes Act: $5 Million
School is Cool Act: $5 Million
Opidate Overdose Prevention Act: $2 Million
Teaching Incentives Act: $76 Million
Go South Young Man Act: $735 Million
Generic Spending: $105.00 Billion
Total: $105.83 Billion (100.00%)

* Defense
Base: $0.80 Billion
Total: $0.50 Billion (100.00%)

* Welfare
Base: $38.39 Billion
Prison Reform Act: $170 Million
Inmate Resources: $165 Million
Obsolete Crimes Deletion: $30 Million
Generic Spending: $30.39 Billion
Total: $30.76 Billion (100.00%)

* Protection/Security
Base: $28.00 Billion
Total: $30.00 Billion (100.00%)

* Transportation
Base: $70.20 Billion
Naval Infrastructure Spending Act: $8 Billion
Everglades Protection: $10 Million
Fast Act Amendments: $3 Million
Generic Spending: $40.00 Billion
Total: $48.01 Billion (100.00%)

* General Government
Base: $14.96 Billion
Rough Bulldog Act: $8,000
Sales Tax Exemption: $7.45 Million
Southern Tax Relief Credit: $860 Million
Tax-Exempt HSAs Act: $19 Million
Asset Seizure: $311 Million
Generic Spending: $9.96 Billion
Total: $11.16 Billion (100.00%)

* Discretionary
Base: $20.00 Billion
Total: $50.00 Billion (100.00%)

Total Regional Spending: $534.43 Billion

Section 3: Taxes and Revenue
A: For the fiscal period beginning in March 2020, taxes and revenues collected shall be the following:

* Income Tax
Base: $110.18 Billion
Corporate (5% Tax): $25.15 Billion
Total: $135.33 Billion

* Social Security
Base: $73.68 Billion
Total: $73.68 Billion (0% tax)

* Additional/Ad Valorem
Base: $223.75 Billion
Excise/Marijuana: $3.70 Billion per year (20% Tax)
Prison Reform Act: $ 22 Million per year
Animal Welfare Act Tokens: $360,000
Celebrating Southern Region Act: $3.2 Million
Opiate Overdose Prevention Act: $829 Million per year
Abortion-related Taxes: $13 Million per year
Online Lottery Act: $310 Million per year
Gambling Taxes: $1.3 Billion per year
Total: $229.93 Billion

* Fees and Charges
Base: $95.52 Billion
Real ID Compliance: $20 Million
Gambling Act: $505.5 Million per year
Better Skools Act: $18 Million
Ban Ban Ban Act: $21.5 Million
One More Year Act: $8 Million
Total: $96.09 Billion

* Business and Other Revenue
Base: $57.84 Billion
Total: $57.84 Billion (0% Tax)

Total regional revenue: $592.87 Billion
Reserves: $22.00 Billion
Balance: +$80.44 Billion

Section 4: Implementation
This bill will take effect immediately upon becoming law

- Slight amendment of the budget introduced by Gov. YoungTexan last year.
- 2019s changed to 2020.
- %s where spending by category was increased or decreased (last year) are changed to 100% as spending levels are maintained from last year*

*I don't think it would be responsible to increase or decrease spending without knowing if we still have a surplus after considering bills passed in the past year. I assume we still have a small, but reduced, surplus but I am unsure. The figures for the reserves and balance amount are from last year and other figures are in need of being updated once Clyde is confirmed as CG by the Senate.

If this bill is not yet on the Chamber floor, I will edit this post with Clyde's new figures if/when he is confirmed by the Senate. Otherwise, this bill can be amended on the Chamber floor to account for the new calculations.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2020, 03:29:14 PM »

Affordable Transit Act (ATA)

Section 1: Background

i. The title shall be the "Affordable Transit Act"
ii. Many Southerners are not able to access services from rural areas
iii. The intended purpose of this act is to address these needs

Section 2: Provisions

i. This act shall establish transportation stations to connect rural and urban areas across the South
ii. These stations are intended to provide for the transportation needs of our citizens
iii. The stations shall provide for urban expansion of travel routes to rural areas
iv. These transportation stations shall provide opportunities for travel, workforce employment, and commercial and industries activities
v. These stations must be maintained as they will become subject to deterioration
vi. The fee to use transit shall be maintained at an affordable price

Section 3: Prohibitions and Guidelines

i. The region may not sell contracts to outside entities where it has sole authority to regulate
ii. The region must uphold the integrity of the transit hubs to ensure integrity, safety and compliance of the stations
ii. A lease to another state agency must not exceed ten years
iii. In the case of any sale of the leasehold interest in the project, the terms of the sale shall provide for the repurchase of the leasehold property by the authority at its option,
iv. In an event that the purchaser, desires to sell the property within ten years; The authority shall establish at the time of original sale a formula setting forth a basis for a repurchase price based on market considerations including but not limited to interest rates, land values, construction costs, and federal tax laws.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies