Nixon in 1960 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:36:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nixon in 1960 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nixon in 1960  (Read 2234 times)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« on: March 09, 2021, 12:07:54 AM »
« edited: March 09, 2021, 12:14:24 AM by Arachno-Statism »

President Richard Nixon (R-CA) / Vice President Henry Lodge (R-MA) ✓
Senator Hubert Humphrey (D-MN) / Governor Terry Sanford (D-NC)
Governor Ross Barnett (I-MS) / Congressman Robert Sikes (I-FL)

Here's 1964. The Nixon administration sees more incremental progress toward civil rights, and the New Deal Coalition splits over it. Rather than becoming Republicans, the Southern segregationists run third party again. Liberals migrate to the GOP throughout the 1960s, enough for George Wallace to secure the nomination in 1968. Wallace's populism was uniquely accommodating to both single-issue segregationists and northern labor, demonstrated by his win in Michigan in the 1972 primaries, so he probably fills the Democrats' 1970s power vacuum.

Long term, it's a little less clear, but some things we can be sure of are the collapse of the New Deal Coalition, deregulation and financialization, and a rightward cultural shift once things like AIDS pop up. So we do still get a Reagan Revolution of some kind, but it wouldn't necessarily be Reagan and it might not even come from the Republicans. I could see Henry Jackson ushering it in.

Even more interesting is whether or not the US is able to exploit the Sino-Soviet split as it did under Nixon in 1972. I would assume so, but if not, the USSR might survive and seek rapprochement with China in the 1980s.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies