2019 India April–May LS general elections and assembly elections of 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:25:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2019 India April–May LS general elections and assembly elections of 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2019 India April–May LS general elections and assembly elections of 2019  (Read 64875 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« on: May 22, 2019, 11:24:18 PM »

Who is next in line to take control of the INC if this holds?

I think Rahul will hold on in Kerala, that is not bjp friendly turf.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:30:47 PM »

Who is next in line to take control of the INC if this holds?

I think Rahul will hold on in Kerala, that is not bjp friendly turf.
yeah but you'd think if they barely gained any seats they would dump him as leader

Good point, but who actually expected them to gain? Ever since the whole risky sh!tshow with Pakistan, it was obvious Modi had scored a massive win.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 11:44:27 PM »

Punjab vote share

INC         40.0%
SAD-BJP  37.4%
AAP          7.2%

Well at least bjp is trailing in my ancestral homeland, so that feels a tad better, but expected.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:49:30 PM »

Punjab vote share

INC         40.0%
SAD-BJP  37.4%
AAP          7.2%

Well at least bjp is trailing in my ancestral homeland, so that feels a tad better, but expected.

One of the few states I actually got the seats and vote count roughly correct (so far)

I am keeping an eye on Jalandhar constituency, which is where my family is originally from, any guesses on it?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 11:58:07 PM »

Punjab vote share

INC         40.0%
SAD-BJP  37.4%
AAP          7.2%

One of the few states I actually got the seats and vote count roughly correct (so far)

I am keeping an eye on Jalandhar constituency, which is where my family is originally from, any guesses on it?

My model has a easy INC win there for what it is worth

Yay, at this point it’s the small bright spots that are keeping me from being very sad right now.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 12:04:59 AM »

Sh!t, even Shiv Sena might be gaining.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 12:57:41 AM »

After this landslide I wonder if the BJP will get going on building that Ram temple in Ayodhya

Ayodhya is the home of Ram, so it makes sense for a temple of Ram to be there. Im surprised there isnt one already there

Fun Fact: Ram is my favorite avatar of Vishnu  not Krishna like most people

Enough blood has already been spilt there, people just need to leave that site alone.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 01:14:43 AM »

After this landslide I wonder if the BJP will get going on building that Ram temple in Ayodhya

Ayodhya is the home of Ram, so it makes sense for a temple of Ram to be there. Im surprised there isnt one already there

Fun Fact: Ram is my favorite avatar of Vishnu  not Krishna like most people

Enough blood has already been spilt there, people just need to leave that site alone.

Sure, I agree what took place in 1992 cannot be justified.  Still I think the Muslim community is not being reasonable here.  Islam does not really have any rules on where a masque is located while Hinduism care a lot about where a temple is located.  Not sure why the Muslims just do not make a deal to give up that space in return for BJP/RSS helping build several masques in other locations all over UP.

It doesn’t even matter at this point in that sense, muslims have like no power or say so in what happens next, they are at the mercy of Modi, who will obviously continue f#cking them over. They already have it, and I guess some people just feel like rubbing salt in wounds, whatever, nothing can be done about it, guess they will pay on judgment day.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 01:29:31 AM »

Sure, I agree what took place in 1992 cannot be justified.  Still I think the Muslim community is not being reasonable here.  Islam does not really have any rules on where a masque is located while Hinduism care a lot about where a temple is located.  Not sure why the Muslims just do not make a deal to give up that space in return for BJP/RSS helping build several masques in other locations all over UP.

It doesn’t even matter at this point in that sense, muslims have like no power or say so in what happens next, they are at the mercy of Modi, who will obviously continue f#cking them over. They already have it, and I guess some people just feel like rubbing salt in wounds, whatever, nothing can be done about it, guess they will pay on judgment day.

Ayodhya is the home of Ram though, so there should be a Ram Temple there. Like Jaichind said you can build a mosque right next to the new temple as well and everything will be fine.

Its not nationalist or religious fundamentalism to want that that to happen, its actually the opposite: its respecting both Hindus and Muslims and I am sure if the above happened the vast majority of people would be happy.

Yeah, but I’d be willing to bet a penny or two on said mosque being torched by some hindutva element relatively quickly, there’s no point. Besides why is there even any talk of compromise? Muslims don’t hold any power or leverage to make any of that happened, they are powerless.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 01:33:54 AM »

Ayodhya is the home of Ram though, so there should be a Ram Temple there. Like Jaichind said you can build a mosque right next to the new temple as well and everything will be fine.

Its not nationalist or religious fundamentalism to want that that to happen, its actually the opposite: its respecting both Hindus and Muslims and I am sure if the above happened the vast majority of people would be happy.

Yeah, but I’d be willing to bet a penny or two on said mosque being torched by some hindutva element relatively quickly, there’s no point. Besides why is there even any talk of compromise? Muslims don’t hold any power or leverage to make any of that happened, they are powerless.

The people who do that should be jailed for quite some time for that then and I would support increasing current sentences for those types of crimes.

Then I wish you were pm of India over Modi Tongue
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 01:53:29 AM »

The people who do that should be jailed for quite some time for that then and I would support increasing current sentences for those types of crimes.

Then I wish you were pm of India over Modi Tongue

Im pretty much a law and order conservative by world standards, its just here in the US im liberal cause of how right wing the US is on that issue.

On Modi I have said multiple times blaming him for the 2002 riots is totally unfair as every court has cleared him on that . The reason those riots got out of hand is Law and Order problems not Modi. Think about how much the 1992 LA riots got of hand here in a nation as advanced as ours then think how much worse it would be in a nation plagued with law and order problems like India

The party he oversees and the people he affiliates with and the dogwhistles and Trump like behavior and such little support and membership from muslims and the ultra hindu nationalism lead me to hold him in the position of the Trump of India. He’s not a friend of Islam or muslims, nor does he want to be. Is he a direct murderer or the worst among them? Nah, but he is bad news.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »

I wonder if the BJP continue building their Hindu Indo-Aryan brand and political coalition there might be a revival of something that died with the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi by LTTE Tamil extremists: Dravidian Separatism. 

Doubt it, but they deserve better.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 01:43:05 AM »

VDP poll on CAA.  All India numbers are 42% For 38% Against 20% DK/No Opinion

Breakdown by state are

Assam has a massive 70% against.  Punjab due to to non-Hindu factor also high levels of opposition.
 Hindi states (UP Rajasthan) has high levels of support.  Deep South Dravidian (TN Kerala) have high levels of opposition.   Non-Assam Non-Hindi Indo-Aryan states are swing areas.

it's like a 20ish point spread between hindus and sikhs in the favor of sikhs in punjab, and it's -21 in punjab, makes sense.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 11:07:14 AM »

Breakdown by state are

Assam has a massive 70% against.  Punjab due to to non-Hindu factor also high levels of opposition.
 Hindi states (UP Rajasthan) has high levels of support.  Deep South Dravidian (TN Kerala) have high levels of opposition.   Non-Assam Non-Hindi Indo-Aryan states are swing areas.

it's like a 20ish point spread between hindus and sikhs in the favor of sikhs in punjab, and it's -21 in punjab, makes sense.

Why would Sikhs be more opposed to this law than Hindus? In my experience they are just as anti-Muslim as Hindus.

More of them support the inc and not a hindutva state in India for obvious reasons, so ig they just tow the modern inc party line more. I dont see any other reason why Punjab would be an outlier. The others that don’t like that bill are either dravidian or muslims (or both), and a handful of north indian hindus.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 06:36:05 PM »

Breakdown by state are

Why would Sikhs be more opposed to this law than Hindus? In my experience they are just as anti-Muslim as Hindus.

More of them support the inc and not a hindutva state in India for obvious reasons, so ig they just tow the modern inc party line more. I dont see any other reason why Punjab would be an outlier. The others that don’t like that bill are either dravidian or muslims (or both), and a handful of north indian hindus.
I thought Sikhs don’t support the INC due to the Anti-Sikh riots.

That’s a while ago and the inc is a bit different since then, also some support them because it’s obviously still less out of bounds than what the others have to offer. Most all the Sikh areas are INC and allies in the local legislature, and a slightly smaller percentage but still strong majority on the federal level.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies