2019 India April–May LS general elections and assembly elections of 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:10:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2019 India April–May LS general elections and assembly elections of 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2019 India April–May LS general elections and assembly elections of 2019  (Read 65157 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 11, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »

What would be the best possible electoral result if you support continued Indian economic reform?

Analyzing Narendra Modi's performance on the Indian economy
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 12:43:51 PM »

In the current Lok Sabha, the BJP-led coalition government has 341 seats total (with 269 for the BJP) that they won in the last election.

Given the BJP looks like they are winning 300 seats alone, how big do you think the coalition majority will be if you include the parties likely to join with them in forming the next government?  Around 370?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 09:21:13 PM »

You mean 2019, not 2018, right?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:54:12 PM »

What would be the best possible electoral result if you support continued Indian economic reform?

On paper it would be a solid majority for NDA.  I still feel Modi being out and having someone else from the BJP as PM would be better.  This demonetization was a disaster and all this fake economic data scandals all seems to be ways to cover up the impact of demonetization which continues to today.  An alternative would be a solid majority for UPA although while I do think Rahul Gandhi have matured as a campaigner this election cycle I think it would be a mistake to make him PM this election cycle.  

What do you think of the likelihood of Modi going through with these reforms now that he has won such a huge mandate?

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 03:34:16 AM »

What's the distribution of Muslims in India?  The only maps I can find are from their 2001 census.  Is there anything more recent?  I want to see how that correlates with Al's maps above.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 03:42:45 AM »

On paper it would be a solid majority for NDA.  I still feel Modi being out and having someone else from the BJP as PM would be better.  This demonetization was a disaster and all this fake economic data scandals all seems to be ways to cover up the impact of demonetization which continues to today.  An alternative would be a solid majority for UPA although while I do think Rahul Gandhi have matured as a campaigner this election cycle I think it would be a mistake to make him PM this election cycle.  

What do you think of the likelihood of Modi going through with these reforms now that he has won such a huge mandate?

I doubt it.  I think from the grassroots point of view "Reforms" are not things listed in that link.  That list would be what investment community want.  Reforms from the grassroots are really development like electrification and toilets.   I suspect that NDA would end up focusing on those than neo-liberal reforms that I would be for.

From Reuters:

Exclusive: India to see 'big-bang' reforms in Modi's second term, says government think tank

In the first 100 days of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s second term, a slew of ‘big-bang’ economic reforms that should please foreign investors are likely to be pursued, according to a top official at the government’s main think tank.

The reforms will include changes in labor laws, privatization moves, and creation of land banks for new industrial development, said Rajiv Kumar, vice chairman of NITI Aayog (National Institute for Transforming India), who reports directly to Modi.

“They (foreign investors) will have reasons to be happy. You will see a slew of reforms I can assure you of that. We are going to pretty much hit the ground running,” Kumar told Reuters in an interview.

Modi is chairman of the think tank.

If he succeeds, Narendra Modi will definitely become the Ronald Reagan of India.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies