Brazil General Discussion 2019: It's Slammer Time!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:19:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazil General Discussion 2019: It's Slammer Time!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Author Topic: Brazil General Discussion 2019: It's Slammer Time!  (Read 47231 times)
Red Velvet
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2020, 04:56:55 PM »

Ernesto Geisel > Jair Bolsonaro
Geisel launched the 2nd national development plan in order to keep the high GDP growth after the 1973 oil shock. Most of the investment of this plan was conducted by state owned enterprises. Geisel recognized PR China and not Taiwan as the true China. Geisel was in the same side of Fidel Castro in the civil war in Angola: he recognized the MPLA government. Geisel was closer to the arabs than Israel in the Middle East conflict. Geisel made an agreement with FR Germany in order to import technology to build the Angra nuclear power plant. Geisel tried to increase trade with Japan, European Community and even the eastern european communist bloc in order to become more independent of the USA.
During the disagreement between Jimmy Carter and Ernesto Geisel, the brazilian left didn't know which side to choose. On one side, Jimmy Carter was trying to push the end of the dictatorship. On the other side, Geisel was trying to have a more nationalist approach to the economy and to the foreign policy.
Bolsonaro is very different. He supports Chicago economics. He is an underdog in foreign policy. He will not appeal to anti-american leftists if Biden criticizes his administration.

I agree in regards to the 70s, even if I think the end of dictatorship was the priority. The problem today is that I think the liberal left is making a lot of assumptions that Biden will antagonize Bolsonaro and not try to use his pro-US positions on their favor now that most of Latin America is swinging left.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2020, 12:47:18 PM »

So... tests for the Coronavac vaccine, realized in partnership between São Paulo’s Instituto Butantan and the Chinese company Sinovac, are the most advanced ones being realized in Brazil. Expectations is that it would be ready before the Oxford vaccine, which is also realizing tests here in Brazil.

Government agency Anvisa suspended the trials yesterday though, after a voluntary died. But the cause of death was unrelated to the tests, the person in case committed suicide!

Bolsonaro has been a champion of the anti-vax movement and his base has been trying to delegitimize Coronavirus vaccines for a long while. For the Chinese they use xenophobic conspiracy that Chinese government wants to kill people, for the Oxford one they use conspiracy about Bill Gates financing the vaccine and having a long time project of wanting to permanently alter the DNA of all humanity.

Now Bolsonaro is celebrating a suicide for stopping the tests and trying to relate the death to vaccine, as if the person was stimulated to commit suicide because of the vaccine! All this because the merits of the vaccination would go to the São Paulo Governor, who articulated with the Chinese to do the tests. Bolsonaro is an egomaniac narcissist playing with the lives of millions of Brazilians without any conscience, a genocidal!
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2020, 03:06:04 PM »

On November 19th, a black man was killed in a Carrefour supermarket in Porto Alegre after he was punched by two guards from a private security firm that works for the supermarket. A discussion inside the supermarket might have started the fight. Carrefour supermarkets in Brazil had already previous problem related to private guards using to much violence against people who tried to steal things inside the supermarket.

It was the eve of the "Black Conscience Day", the anniversary of the execution of Zumbi dos Palmares, which took place at November 20th 1695. Zumbi was the leader of "Quilombo dos Palmares", a community of fugitive slaves. Zumbi became a symbol of the fight for racial justice.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2020, 10:39:13 PM »

Following Joe Biden / Kamala Harris example, I think that there will be a Ciro Gomes / Marina Silva ticket in the presidential election of 2022. He is an old moderate white man, who has a long experience in politics. She is a moderate black woman.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2020, 11:45:10 AM »

Following Joe Biden / Kamala Harris example, I think that there will be a Ciro Gomes / Marina Silva ticket in the presidential election of 2022. He is an old moderate white man, who has a long experience in politics. She is a moderate black woman.

I support him but I think there’s no way that Ciro will be the unity candidate.

1. Ciro’s policies focus on industrialization and developmentalism and those are very dirty words for the right. For some specific right-wing sectors he’s seen as the worst option with chances, especially if PT goes with a moderate light candidate like Haddad already was. Because that’s someone they could manage better if elected, especially considering that anti-PT feeling would give them more leverage to control the PT government.

2. A good chunk of Brazilian left is extremely loyal to Lula and if the Ciro vs Lula political dispute intensifies, they will become even more anti-Ciro. PT’s biggest adversary is Ciro, just like Bolsonaro’s biggest danger is the center-right and that is reflected in the campaign that already started.

3. The mainstream media which is alligned with right and center-right types like Huck, Doria and Moro (which they call “moderate center”) dislikes Ciro as well, the only situation they support him is when he is having a dispute with PT. But in every other scenario they paint him in a very negative light.

4. The extreme right aligned with Bolsonaro wants to polarize between them and PT because they think that’s their best chance of winning. They want PT to be weak but not too weak that it fails to make runoff against someone else. So they will put their structures strongly against Ciro.

5. Ciro’s outspoken personality to say whatever he thinks without measuring the consequences makes him popular with his 10% loyal base but it is something that will be unpopular with the media and lots of regular people and there will be strong negative propaganda like it was before.

6. I don’t think Ciro will succeed in creating alliances centered on him. Won’t work if he focus on the left, PSOL and PCdoB are more likely to go towards PT. Won’t work if he focus on the center by forming a center left+center right alliance, center right will go to PSDB like it always has and support Doria even if he’s uncharismatic and has even lesser national recognition than Alckmin. Although the COVID vaccine in SP could help Doria, I guess. DEM will do the same and get behind Doria or run a candidate of themselves: Luciano Huck.

The Martha Rocha scenario is more likely, he will be attacked from all sides: right, left and center. He’s certainly more energetic than her and can defend himself much better, but I still have doubts if he will be able to manage it all.

There will simply not be one “Biden” and honestly, that is probably for the best since Bolsonaro was already a “Trump”. The right was already a failure because they followed US trends, people should just stop looking at that country for examples because nothing good comes out.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2020, 05:53:50 PM »

Ciro Gomes was speaking as if PT and Bolsonaro were equal evils: this is not very smart for someone who wants the support of PT voters. I agree with Ciro Gomes that a project for national development needs a broad supporting alliance which includes not only left-wing parties. But unlike Ciro, I think this alliance should not exclude PT.
This week, Ciro Gomes told that he doesn't want PT support and that he was looking for DEM and PSD to join PDT and PSB in his coalition. But I don't believe that the neoliberal DEM and PSD would support someone who propose a strong role for the state in the economic development.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2020, 06:05:13 PM »

Scenario for 2022

Far-right: Bolsonaro, of course. We still don't know if he will join Progressistas, Republicanos or PSL. I also include Amoedo in the group of far-right, but Novo did not well in the municipal elections in 2020.

Center-right: Possible names are João Doria (governor of São Paulo), Eduardo Leite (governor of Rio Grande do Sul), ACM Neto (mayor of Salvador), Rodrigo Maia (president of the House), Sérgio Moro (former judge and Bolsonaro's Minister of Justice) and Luciano Huck (TV star). The governor of São Paulo is always a natural candidate, since São Paulo has the biggest GDP and 22% of the country's population. But Doria has not high approval rate. Luciano Huck had friendship in the past with not so good people (Aécio Neves, Sergio Cabral, Sergio Moro, Eike Batista, Joesley Batista, Ricardo Electro and Robinho). He might become vulnerable in a campaign. Moro used to have support from the far-right, but this group considers him a betrayor.

PDT/PSB/Rede: I believe there will be a Ciro Gomes / Marina Silva ticket, although I don't believe they will be sucessful (Red Velvet and I explained why).

PT/PCdoB: Fernando Haddad (former mayor of São Paulo), Jacques Wagner (senator) or Flávio Dino (governor of Maranhão). Even if Lula have all his rights back, I don't belive he will try again, since he is very old and he knows that half of the population doesn't like him.

PSOL: No other name than Guilherme Boulos was mentioned until now. We don't know if Boulos will run again or if PSOL will make an alliance with PT in the 1st round
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2020, 11:58:41 PM »

I see it as a 5-way dispute, maybe 4 or 6. Considering only the ones with a chance obvs, because as always there will be tons of people running.

1. Bolsonaro
2. Doria or random PSDB
3. Huck*
4. Ciro
5. PT
6. Boulos or random PSOL**

*unsure, but probably yes
**unsure, probably not in 2022

I think the Boulos hype is very “from the moment” and we need time to see if PSOL can really become a major alternative nationally. PT would be the most negatively affected if that happened, could destroy them. But PSOL could end up replacing the PT eventually considering the perception that PT became old and obsolete and PSOL is its younger version, so I don’t fully doubt it.

I don’t see Boulos living up to the current 5-6% in polls he is getting, especially in a very close race. But I am confident PSOL will run someone in order to excite their base and secure to reach the higher vote share that will be required for congress.

The center-right camp will have 2 major candidates, Doria and Huck. In their spectrum, Doria will be more of a right-wing candidate and Huck more of a center candidate, as he’s already wanting to paint himself as a progressive even though he voted Bolsonaro in 2018 “against PT” lol. Huck is more of a liberal, while Doria is a conservative even if way moderate compared to Brazilian far-right.

Moro will likely not run (thank god because a runoff with him is only scenario I would support Bolsonaro).

Doria is very unlikable even inside the PSDB and most of that PSDB vote already went to Bolsonaro in 2018, they need at least to get a significant chunk of it back to get to the runoff and ensure there is no big support for other candidates like NOVO or whatever else that might get significant support.

What could help Doria though:

1. Create an union of the center-right somehow, especially if the left stays divided. Put all the non-Bolsonaro right parties in an alliance, even bigger than the one PSDB managed to in 2018.

2. Bring Huck as his VP (even if I doubt he would leave Globo for anything less than the presidency). You add charisma to the ticket, which Doria desperately needs, while also getting rid of someone who is a major spoiler and can split the center-right vote.

3. The COVID Chinese vaccine in São Paulo being a success while the federal government fails in providing an accessible alternative to the rest of the country. Which tbh, is looking very possible since Bolsonaro likes anti-vaxxers. It would be better if Doria planned to aid other states than just São Paulo if he really wants to build a national profile though.

With a very fragmented left and these three other elements, I think Doria can very well easily make it. He just needs to oppose Bolsonaro like hell in order to get at least some of the PSDB vote back and go to the runoff.

Ciro needs a fragmented scenario and hope that his 12%, which seems very stable and loyal, can campaign hard and add at least some more votes from pragmatists. His attack strategy shows he is aware this is his only chance, I do think he is dividing the left away from the PT because he kinda needs to. PT would never accept alliance where they’re not in the top of the ticket.

Ciro needs to invest more on social media like PSOL though. A 16% vote intention for example, could very well be enough in a fragmented scenario where PSOL takes away votes from PT and the PSDB fails to gain excitement and center-right/right is divided between Doria, Huck and all those other smaller names like NOVO.

PT needs to at least hold most of their vote intention from 2018 and hope it will still be enough. Opportunistic media still uses them as a scarecrow. They’re in defense mode, which is why they basically mostly just respond to Ciro attacks or focus on nostalgia these days instead of focusing against the right-wing government or providing a new project for the future.

PT has unfortunately defined itself as a party of one personality instead of a major country project and those on a worldwide level, don’t manage to outlive their leader once they’re gone. New leaderships should’ve been given more space inside the party. Natural ones, not fabricated and forced by Lula ones like Dilma.

PSOL and Ciro Gomes are their biggest threats and if PSOL ever gets to prove itself as a threat to them in the national stage, it will get more hate from Lula’s most loyal supporters. But the PT itself would be forced to support them if that were ever to happen.

Bolsonaro will be on the runoff, so he just needs to think about strategy for that 2nd round. But an united center-right is his biggest threat if he loses popularity, most of that vote from PSDB in 2018 that he gained could go back to them or other center-right options. Bolsonaro also conveniently put some potential traitors inside his government and that could be interesting in the next two years, especially if they sabotage him to favor PSDB or “centrão”.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2020, 04:31:59 PM »

Scenario for 2022

Far-right: Bolsonaro, of course. We still don't know if he will join Progressistas, Republicanos or PSL. I also include Amoedo in the group of far-right, but Novo did not well in the municipal elections in 2020.

Center-right: Possible names are João Doria (governor of São Paulo), Eduardo Leite (governor of Rio Grande do Sul), ACM Neto (mayor of Salvador), Rodrigo Maia (president of the House), Sérgio Moro (former judge and Bolsonaro's Minister of Justice) and Luciano Huck (TV star). The governor of São Paulo is always a natural candidate, since São Paulo has the biggest GDP and 22% of the country's population. But Doria has not high approval rate. Luciano Huck had friendship in the past with not so good people (Aécio Neves, Sergio Cabral, Sergio Moro, Eike Batista, Joesley Batista, Ricardo Electro and Robinho). He might become vulnerable in a campaign. Moro used to have support from the far-right, but this group considers him a betrayor.

PDT/PSB/Rede: I believe there will be a Ciro Gomes / Marina Silva ticket, although I don't believe they will be sucessful (Red Velvet and I explained why).

PT/PCdoB: Fernando Haddad (former mayor of São Paulo), Jacques Wagner (senator) or Flávio Dino (governor of Maranhão). Even if Lula have all his rights back, I don't belive he will try again, since he is very old and he knows that half of the population doesn't like him.

PSOL: No other name than Guilherme Boulos was mentioned until now. We don't know if Boulos will run again or if PSOL will make an alliance with PT in the 1st round

To what degree has the Brazilian mainstream center-right acclimated itself to Bolsonaro? If Bolsonaro is the most popular right-wing politician in the country (and assuming roughly 50/50 approval ratings, it means he has support from most rightists), would they even run a separate candidate?
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2020, 05:59:09 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2020, 06:07:38 PM by Red Velvet »

Scenario for 2022

To what degree has the Brazilian mainstream center-right acclimated itself to Bolsonaro? If Bolsonaro is the most popular right-wing politician in the country (and assuming roughly 50/50 approval ratings, it means he has support from most rightists), would they even run a separate candidate?

There is a difference between center-right parties and center-right voters. Brazil has multiple parties so naturally there is competition from inside the right and left for protagonism. There isn’t one sole right or left entity party-wise. And PSDB used to be a national protagonist, they want that spot back.

PSDB’s João Doria wants the presidency and has become opposition against Bolsonaro especially after Coronavirus. Even though he capitalized on Bolsonaro vote in 2018. He knows his chance to win is weakening Bolsonaro, getting some votes back and going to the runoff.

That said, it isn’t a given that center-right voters will abandon Bolsonaro to vote for Doria, as you said. Many can feel if they abandon Bolsonaro for anyone, they can strengthen the left. But Bolsonaro isn’t a good president/administrator. Sustained himself in 2020 due to the Covid payments given to the poorer and shaky alliances with “Centrão”. It isn’t a given that he will be strong in two years, especially if he botches the vaccination plan nationally while Doria succeeds in São Paulo with the distribution of his vaccine.

Doria already announced that he will start vaccination in the state of São Paulo in January 25th and will allow ANY Brazilians who are in São Paulo soil to get it, regardless if they live somewhere else.

Meanwhile, Bolsonaro has no real plan other than vaguely suggesting vaccination will start in March, flirts with anti-vaxxers, let millions of Covid tests pass their expiration date because of lack logistics and now it is being reported that federal government will probably delay distribution of vaccines because they didn’t buy enough syringes and other necessary material in time. Optics could prejudice Bolsonaro and favor Doria, especially considering federal government could block the São Paulo vaccine just to politically prejudice Doria. That would anger some people, to see the president playing with their health to try to favor himself.

Besides, it’s not like Doria needs to get all Bolsonaro votes, just some enough in order to go to the runoff against him.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2020, 10:47:02 AM »

Scenario for 2022

Old PSDB leaders consider PT and Bolsonaro equal evils. Acutally, I think that in private they consider Bolsonaro worse, but they don't demonstrate this view in public, because their party looks for similar voters. New PSDB leaders have better relation with Bolsonaro.
It is obvious that the non-Bolsonaro right will have its own candidate. PSDB and DEM leaders want to keep their parties alive. People who consider Bolsonaro good or very good is always between 30% and 40%, no more than this. But the left has a 30% ceiling. There is a large share of the Brazilian population who dislike both the left and Bolsonaro. The non-Bolsonaro right was the biggest winner of the 2020 municipal election.
If the 2022 presidential election has only one left-wing candidate and only one non-Bolsonaro right-wing candidate, it will be possible to keep Bolsonaro out of the runoff. But it is very hard for the parties to reach this agreement.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2020, 10:59:28 PM »

Only bad news in Brazil!
Most recent one: a male representative, who was walking behind a female representative, put his hands on her breasts in the São Paulo State Assembly. This is harassment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzds3PkzsBY
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2020, 05:34:30 AM »

A Supreme Court majority has decided that vaccination will be obligatory in Brazil, which doesn’t mean it will be forced.

“Obligatory” in a similar sense that voting is technically “mandatory”. Basically, if you refuse to take one, you suffer some sanctions/penalties as punishment for not fulfilling your civil duties. Probably will be stuff like government not providing documents like passports, or social benefits being canceled for those who receive it.

Still, it is a major blowback to Bolsonaro, who embraced the anti-vaxxers narrative of putting doubt about the vaccines safety. He initially tried to sabotage the SP Governor vaccine plan and now he’s trying to make a partnership in order to not get behind, but he still says he won’t vaccinate himself and that people can also just not take it if they don’t want. Making the vaccine “obligatory” changes this proposed path, so it’s good.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2020, 05:56:23 AM »

Indeed, one of Bolsonaro's anti-vax supporters has been chuntering on about "alligators" Smiley
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »

Supreme Court is the one thing stopping this country from completely falling down to ground. Most of them were nominated during Lula and Dilma years, so Bolsominions are angry that they tend to be more progressive than they want, with stuff like pro-LGBT and pro-science decisions.

Bolsominions (Bolsonaro most fanatic voters) usually respond with calls to break democracy and close the Supreme Court with police force, whenever they make a decision they hate. They especially hate this vaccine decision because it goes against what Bolsonaro promised them. They spread many fake news about vaccines to incite more fear in the population to not take them, including things like “there is HIV in the vaccine” or “ it will alter your DNA”.

Bolsonaro stimulates these theories with comments such as the one he made yesterday in order to push away responsibility from him: “If you turn into an alligator, it’s your problem”. This man should be in prison whenever he’s out of government. I wish population was angrier enough to do much worse to him, after all the people he murdered with this response to the virus.

Just to think Brazil was a reference in vaccination just 10 years ago under the left wing government... The H1N1 was much weaker but the federal government response treated it more serious than current ones treat COVID-19. The right (domestic and international) is too incompetent and jealous, they only live to hate the others successes and progress. It’s easier to destroy what others made than construct something of your own, which is why they fully embrace anti-intellectualism.

President of the congress Rodrigo Maia (from DEM) has also done good work in blocking Bolsonaro more regressive agenda but Brazilian constitution doesn’t allow reelection for the president of congress and senate seats, both of which last only two years. His presidential term ends in February, let’s see whether he can articulate enough support in congress to elect a successor or if Bolsonaro will win the fight and elect his own chosen candidate: Arthur Lira (Progressistas).
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2020, 06:01:25 PM »

Bolsonaro is playing a double game about vacines

The Ministry of Health will purchase the vacines produced in São Paulo by the chinese laboratory Sinovac because Bolsonaro needs to be accepted by the anti-left population in Brazil which is ~60% of the population. And sane people, no matter if is left, right or center, want to have the vacine.

On the other hand, Bolsonaro keeps the speech promoting a negative view on the Sinovac vacine to his fanatic followers, who are ~20% of the population. They believe everything coming from the PR China is evil.
xelas81
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2020, 10:36:59 PM »

Why did Brazil order Sinovac over Pfzer or Moderna Vaccine in the first place?
Was it cheaper?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2020, 11:04:57 PM »

Yes. Pfizer is very expensive and Brazil has no enough quantity of -70C freezers in order to keep the Pfizer vacines.

Even though, Brazil should have bough and should have tried to purchase the freezers. The losses related to the delay of the vacines are much higher than the price of Pfizer.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #218 on: December 19, 2020, 03:54:32 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2020, 03:59:31 AM by Red Velvet »

Why did Brazil order Sinovac over Pfzer or Moderna Vaccine in the first place?
Was it cheaper?

I think Moderna is mostly reserved for the US, UK, Canada and a few others to some European countries. Not sure, but I believe US bought almost all the stock in advance.

Pfizer deal wasn’t initially made with the government arguing that it was logistically impossible to distribute the vaccine since that one has to be stored in -70 Celsius degree freezers. But other Latin American countries bought it and Pfizer said they presented a solution for it so I think it’s partially the government’s bad will as well. I don’t trust Bolsonaro government to want the pandemic to end.

Btw, “Brazil” as a federal institution didn’t buy Sinovac vaccines, it bought Oxford ones.

Sinovac was an independent deal made by the São Paulo governor (João Doria from PSDB) with China, to Brazilian institutions to produce that vaccine in Brazil and distribute them to all citizens of the São Paulo state. Federal government vilified that vaccine for political reasons and is only NOW wanting to buy them from São Paulo government because Doria promised to vaccinate São Paulo in January and federal government doesn’t have other options. It would be very bad for Bolsonaro image if only São Paulo got vaccinated due to a initiative from a political adversary of his, while other states have no vaccine and see São Paulo get vaccinated. That’s why Bolsonaro is pretending to care about vaccination now, political reasons.

Federal government bought tons of Oxford vaccines months ago and acted like it was a done deal and they wouldn’t have to worry about vaccines anymore. Probably they liked how it was much cheaper and also assumed it would be the first to come out because it looked so months ago. When the smartest path would be to not rely on one single vaccine, I would’ve bought a smaller moderate amount from each different vaccine. That way you ensure at least the vaccination of groups under risk starts the moment first vaccine is approved, while also getting to see which works best for the future.

Now, with the delays and questions of Oxford vaccine, Federal government is forced to rely on the Chinese vaccine they vilified lmao. It’s actually funny, but without the laughter and with more deaths. Hopefully the fact Bolsonaro ignored the seriousness of the pandemic will make people angrier with all this vaccination saga but Brazilian fatalism mentality, somewhat inherited from a catholic religious background, makes me not eager to put all my bets on that backlash. But it could maybe happen.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #219 on: December 22, 2020, 01:18:53 PM »

So, Rio's still incumbent mayor, Marcelo Crivella, was arrested today because of alleged bribery scheme in city hall.

He's also been accused of using IURD, Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, for money laundering.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #220 on: December 22, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »

So, Rio's still incumbent mayor, Marcelo Crivella, was arrested today because of alleged bribery scheme in city hall.

He's also been accused of using IURD, Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, for money laundering.

I give it two weeks max for him to be released.

But good news, I guess. The conservative moralist right is crumbling.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #221 on: December 22, 2020, 08:52:46 PM »

I hope Crivela and his fellows get investigated and judged, but the arest was not necessary. It is possible to arest someone before the sentence if someone is too dangerous outside the jail. If there is the danger to disturb the investigation, to harm the collection of evidence, for example. This doesn't seem to be the case of Crivela. The arest looked like a theater.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2020, 09:57:20 PM »

I hope Crivela and his fellows get investigated and judged, but the arest was not necessary. It is possible to arest someone before the sentence if someone is too dangerous outside the jail. If there is the danger to disturb the investigation, to harm the collection of evidence, for example. This doesn't seem to be the case of Crivela. The arest looked like a theater.

Totally was, especially considering he was released today and put under home arrest.

That said, these abuse of powers and “theater arrests” designed for the media have been fully normalized at this point and people have validated it because they like seeing politicians they dislike go to jail. No one cared about the sensationalism of Lula’s “arrest” so why act concerned when conservatives get arrested? Their activists are the ones who accepted this justice insurrection and punitivism (penal populism) because it was politically convenient to them when the government was a left wing one.

Now that it’s conservatives in power they act the complete opposite and turn against the “justice” they elevated, call for the closure of the judiciary and attack the same police system they used in their favor. I have no sympathy for Crivella or any conservative who gets punished (like the conservative journalist that was also arrested and had to go to hospital after getting hurt in jail).

They’re the ones who rallied behind “Car-Wash” with no criticism and wanted to punish all the corrupt system. Well, they’re the corrupt system now and they will see the consequences of the logic that they validated since far-right “Bolsonarismo” is also increasingly hated by the establishment, even if I think the left had it way worse in 2015-2016.

If you put a bland establishment person from PSDB, DEM or MDB though, they would never face that kind of intimidation, no matter how corrupt they are. Like, look at Michel Temer getting away even with all the evidences against him simply because he was a figure more politically convenient to the elites interests.

If supporters of Bolsonaro made a mea-culpa about their own role in the dystopia we live in, maybe we could have a discussion about political imprisonments but for them it’s only “political” when it’s against someone on their ideologies side. So let them drown in their own tears, I say. Flávio Bolsonaro could be very well next and at this point, I will celebrate it. Destroy these people with the same weapons they used, then we worry about solving this “penal populism” problem.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »

Mexico, Chile and Costa Rica have started vaccination with Pfizer vaccine. Argentina starts next week.

Meanwhile, despite having similar infrastructure as these four countries, Brazil doesn’t even have a date prediction. São Paulo state governor plan is to start with the Chinese SinoVac in January 25th but federal government has no plan. No deal with Pfizer was announced. They don’t give a damn.

The hate I feel for these people is hard to be described. A mix of incompetents + Anti-vaxxers and sympathizers leading the country and sabotaging it. I can only hope it will come back in their faces somehow, even if the same level of damage they caused is impossible to be matched. Monsters. Murderers.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2020, 01:58:05 AM »

Argentina’s approval of abortion gives me more hope for the future. It would never pass here in congress, especially under Bolsonaro, but I could see the Supreme Court doing it.

In Uruguay it’s already legal and Chile will soon have a new constitution, in which the topic could be touched on!

Brazil has similar history and backgrounds with these three. Also, in Argentina abortion will be FREE for anyone who looks for it. In Uruguay today I think it’s limited to their own citizens, which doesn’t have that much effect because if you travel there from the exterior, you can’t get it.

I could see this stimulating more tourism of Brazilian pregnant women to see the Iguaçu Falls in the border. And that’s a good thing because it normalizes and weakens the anti-abortion movement.

In 1977, divorce was finally allowed in Brazil because too many people were traveling to Uruguay to get it lmao. I can see it a similar thing happening with abortion.

Argentina really is a great country of trailblazers for Latin America. Love them. I never forget they were the first to allow gay marriage in 2010, opening the door for Brazil and Uruguay to do it in 2013, Colombia in 2016, Ecuador in 2019 and Costa Rica in 2020.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies