If Hillary Clinton had won in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:28:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If Hillary Clinton had won in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Hillary Clinton had won in 2008  (Read 667 times)
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2019, 05:37:55 PM »
« edited: April 27, 2019, 01:51:06 AM by Da2017 »

I remember there talk about wanted someone who could bring people together. Clinton was seen as divisive as Bush. Obama was the candidate who would unite the country. Hillary was a polarizing figure. Obama if anything increase polarization, some of it was't his fault. Could Hillary had reversed the trend in the long term?

Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 09:06:38 PM »

Depends on what kind of administration she would have. I, for one, see Hillary as a political chameleon who'll campaign on the mood of the times. In the end, she would end up looking very much like Obama: excites young people with promises of hope and change, leaves office with the appearance of a grizzled corporatist establishmentarian. Social justice is equally likely to form under the circumstances of a Clinton presidency: Millennials stunted by the Recession are stuck playing defense for their rebellious leader, who's now in charge, and thus develop a weird kind of authoritarian attitude for their once rebellious positions. The religious right will still explode and leave its power vacuum in the GOP, meaning you're likely to get Trump on time for 2016.

Maybe less racial polarization without gaffes like "he could have been my son", but the polarization that came with social justice was inevitable. Social media is the culprit in this instance.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:14:35 PM »

Both political and racial polarization would have been worse as the black community would view Obama's loss of the nomination as being a sign of rampant racism, while actual white nationalists hated her already. Meanwhile, the GOP wave of 2010 would mean endless Whitewater-style investigations - and I'm sure she and Bill would give them plenty of material. Her policies would be very mediocre like Obama - a bit more left in some areas, a bit more right in others - and the same gloom and anti-politics politics we saw in 2016 would stll materialize.

I don't even want to think about how gender polarization would have turned out...
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 01:52:20 AM »

Both political and racial polarization would have been worse as the black community would view Obama's loss of the nomination as being a sign of rampant racism, while actual white nationalists hated her already. Meanwhile, the GOP wave of 2010 would mean endless Whitewater-style investigations - and I'm sure she and Bill would give them plenty of material. Her policies would be very mediocre like Obama - a bit more left in some areas, a bit more right in others - and the same gloom and anti-politics politics we saw in 2016 would stll materialize.

I don't even want to think about how gender polarization would have turned out...

There are many factors that led Trump,s rise. I don,t think there would of been a birther movement.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 07:52:42 AM »

I agree with this. Hillary would have been a one term president. I wonder whether Obama would run again in 2016?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies