A Tragic Morning in Ireland (Abortion is legal)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:29:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  A Tragic Morning in Ireland (Abortion is legal)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Tragic Morning in Ireland (Abortion is legal)  (Read 1270 times)
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »

At the strike of midnight, Ireland experienced the worst tragedy it has ever seen.  This is one of the worst abortion laws in the world, with no protections for religious hospitals and severely limited conscience protections for doctors, as well as forcing taxpayers to pay for what many of them believe to be a genocide.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 02:11:10 AM »

Yes   1,429,981      66.40%
No   723,632      33.60%
danny
Israel

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 04:53:39 AM »

Happy to hear the good news.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 05:51:46 AM »

At the strike of midnight, Ireland experienced the worst tragedy it has ever seen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)

But since there were no state-allowed abortions I guess it's small potatoes Smiley
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 06:08:46 AM »

At the strike of midnight, Ireland experienced the worst tragedy it has ever seen

But since there were no state-allowed abortions I guess it's small potatoes Smiley

They could have used some small potatoes (or any size, really).
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 07:25:29 AM »

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:45:34 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 07:48:20 AM »

This is one of the worst abortion laws in the world, with no protections for religious hospitals and severely limited conscience protections for doctors, as well as forcing taxpayers to pay for what many of them believe to be a genocide.

None of these provisions are anything close to unique in the world. It's only America and (I think?) Canada where FREE ABORTION Smiley Smiley Smiley basically acts as a regressive tax on poor women, mostly due to the ass-backwards way in which abortion was legalized in these countries.

More seriously, does someone have an objective rundown of the law's content? As someone who's happy for the news but hopes the government didn't go completely overboard with this, I'd appreciate it.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 11:07:17 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
You can’t possibly be serious
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »

Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »

Sad to hear that they went down this path
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2019, 12:26:00 PM by DC Al Fine »

This is one of the worst abortion laws in the world, with no protections for religious hospitals and severely limited conscience protections for doctors, as well as forcing taxpayers to pay for what many of them believe to be a genocide.

None of these provisions are anything close to unique in the world. It's only America and (I think?) Canada where FREE ABORTION Smiley Smiley Smiley basically acts as a regressive tax on poor women, mostly due to the ass-backwards way in which abortion was legalized in these countries.

More seriously, does someone have an objective rundown of the law's content? As someone who's happy for the news but hopes the government didn't go completely overboard with this, I'd appreciate it.

I gave the bill a quick skim. Major provisions include:

1) Elective abortions are legal up to 12 weeks, with a three day waiting period
2) Exceptions up to birth for risks to the life and health of the mother, or if the baby is not expected to live outside the womb for 28 days.
3) Two physicians have to certify the abortions performed under #2, except for lifesaving care and the like.
4) The state will pay for abortions.
5) There is a (pretty weak) concientious objector clause for doctors and nurses who don't want to participate in abortions.
6) Women who obtain late term abortions are exempt from prosecution.
7) Abortionists who violate the law can be sentenced to prison for up to fourteen years

This is fairly restrained compared to the ridiculous Canadian model, particularly when it comes to 'extracurricular activities' like restrictions on pro-life protests or the Liberal government's outrageous attempt to require pro-life groups to sign a pro-abortion attestation. My understanding is that the law is also somewhat more conservative than most of Western Europe (but don't quote me on that).

So while today is a tragic day for Ireland, Canada remains the undisputed champion for awful abortion jurisprudence in the West.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »

I was listening to Be Thou My Vision in the original Gaelic recently.  It's saddening how far Ireland, and most of Europe, has fallen.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »

I gave the bill a quick skim. Major provisions include:

1) Elective abortions are legal up to 12 weeks, with a three day waiting period
2) Exceptions up to birth for risks to the life and health of the mother, or if the baby is not expected to live outside the womb for 28 days.
3) Two physicians have to certify the abortions performed under #2, except for lifesaving care and the like.
4) The state will pay for abortions.
5) There is a (pretty weak) concientious objector clause for doctors and nurses who don't want to participate in abortions.
6) Women who obtain late term abortions are exempt from prosecution.
7) Abortionists who violate the law can be sentenced to prison for up to fourteen years

This is fairly restrained compared to the ridiculous Canadian model, particularly when it comes to 'extracurricular activities' like restrictions on pro-life protests or the Liberal government's outrageous attempt to require pro-life groups to sign a pro-abortion attestation. My understanding is that the law is also somewhat more conservative than most of Western Europe (but don't quote me on that).

So while today is a tragic day for Ireland, Canada remains the undisputed champion for awful abortion jurisprudence in the West.

This seems to be somewhere in between France (which has fewer controls and some restrictions on attempts to prevent abortions) and Italy (which has stronger conscientious objection provisions) so more or less in the middle of West European legislation. The 12 weeks limit, in particular, seems to be the clear consensus the continent is coming to. So Ireland, like most European countries, will probably be spared the fanatical culture wars that rage on in North America. Wonderful news all around.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »

Awesome day in the great nation of Ireland!
alancia
Argentina

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.35

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 06:15:18 PM »

Sad. I hope Ireland rectifies this mistake in the future.

On a related issue, I hope we reject abortion here like last year. Its practically confirmed that they will try to introduce that infamous bill once again - although it probably won't pass due to having the same Congress and it being an electoral year. Then, we can also elect a socially conservative President.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »

Sad. I hope Ireland rectifies this mistake in the future.

The mistake made in 1983 was already rectified in 2018.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies