Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:20:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 133591 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: September 22, 2019, 10:24:01 PM »

Every candidate's ability to craft policy is directly proportional to how many seats they have in the Senate. If Warren has 61 Senate seats to work with, we'll get universal healthcare. If Bernie has 47 Senate seats to work with, we won't. Anybody pretending it's all down to how hard they push for it or what words they use to describe their ideology has no memory of the entire Obama presidency.

Anyone claiming that Obama was a progressive leader has no memory of the entire Obama presidency.

I never said he was. But he ran on universal healthcare, and wasn't able to get it done even with a Senate supermajority. I'm sure Bernie is different, though, and can do it even with a 50-50 Senate. Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1176 on: September 22, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »

Every candidate's ability to craft policy is directly proportional to how many seats they have in the Senate. If Warren has 61 Senate seats to work with, we'll get universal healthcare. If Bernie has 47 Senate seats to work with, we won't. Anybody pretending it's all down to how hard they push for it or what words they use to describe their ideology has no memory of the entire Obama presidency.

Anyone claiming that Obama was a progressive leader has no memory of the entire Obama presidency.

I never said he was. But he ran on universal healthcare, and wasn't able to get it done even with a Senate supermajority. I'm sure Bernie is different, though, and can do it even with a 50-50 Senate. Wink

You don't accomplish anything if you don't try. The President has the bully pulpit, and the final ObamaCare vote only needed 50 votes in the Senate.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1177 on: September 22, 2019, 10:44:57 PM »

Warren is very serious about single payer, and she's bringing in more people into the "single payer" fold. But people who worry about whether it can pass are right. For one thing, the Democrats have to win back the Senate, which isn't guaranteed. Then, 50 Senators have to agree to get rid of the filibuster. Then, 50 Senators have to agree to pass M4All, and in those 50 Senators could be people like Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema. Of course, in that case the Democratic President should try as hard as she can to put pressure on these Senators to act, but even then there is quite a large risk that we'll get something short of single payer.

Edit: Oh yeah, and then it has to survive the Supreme Court; don't underestimate the creativity of right-wing activists to come up with novel never before heard "broccoli"-style arguments that suddenly start to gain traction with Gorsuch et. al.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1178 on: September 22, 2019, 11:02:55 PM »

This is really tough.

A candidate who campaigns full-throatedly for M4A is setting themselves for failure, full stop. I think the maximalist crowd who thinks (without any empirical evidence) that progressives can set a high opening-bid and then bargain down from there are forgetting how incredibly demoralizing it is for a base to not get something that they fervently campaigned for. Bernie and Warren running a campaign centered around M4A and getting anything less than that would be a pretty big defeat and bad for midterm prospects no matter how much it was spun. In a way it's very tragic that the health care debate has been framed in terms of a rather unpopular aspiration that has no chance of passing in full even if there are some very compelling arguments in favor.

On the other hand, if Warren isn't willing to go down to the mat for M4A, then how can you ever expect the whole of the D caucus to go for it even in ideal circumstances? If you think it's good policy, and you fancy yourself as a progressive leader, you should advocate for it. If you don't think it's good policy (as many others in the field have expressed) then you shouldn't equivocate.

I get the dilemma Warren is facing here but there's no virtue in waffling.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1179 on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:40 PM »

Sanders supporters are absolutely correct that Warren is not serious about single-payer, and her inclination to not waste legislative time on a health care push that will definitely fail is a good reason to prefer her. Discuss.

If she weren’t serious about it she could just not support it.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1180 on: September 23, 2019, 07:32:38 AM »

Bad take. Even worse when it's another person's words presented as your own.

Yeah, I shouldn't have done that.  I should have at least rephrased, but I got lazy.  Thanks for calling me out.
AngryBudgie
Rookie
« Reply #1181 on: September 23, 2019, 09:19:57 AM »

I find it dissapointing how unhinged many Sanders supporters have gotten in the last few weeks when it comes to Warren. My vote is still up in the air, and my primary isnt untill March. But its making it real hard to even consider voting for Sanders.

Like, in what world is Elizabeth Warren a neo-liberal right winger?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1182 on: September 23, 2019, 09:46:49 AM »

It's a big problem for Democrats. I think the Republican Party has coalesced around Trump even more than in 2016. We know a lot of Democratic Party voters stayed home in 2016 and that there was tremendous acrimony with Sanders supporters, some of which was legitimate. But if Democrats do not come together in 2020 behind the winning nominee, whoever that is, we will lose again.

I will vote for the Democratic nominee, if it's Warren, Sanders, or Biden. We are in pre-primary season all advocating for our preferred choice but we can't forget that we have an orange clown in The White House who believes climate change is a hoax invented by The Chinese, is giving massive tax breaks to the wealthiest people and corporations, is degrading the environment, placing significant taxes(yes tariffs are taxes) on the working poor and middle class, jailing poor migrants after separating them from their children, and has the largest graft and skimming operation of any President in a century.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1183 on: September 23, 2019, 09:54:32 AM »

I find it dissapointing how unhinged many Sanders supporters have gotten in the last few weeks when it comes to Warren. My vote is still up in the air, and my primary isnt untill March. But its making it real hard to even consider voting for Sanders.

It's an obsession with purity, I assume and the sense that Warren stole their platform. And Warren is more acceptable to the establishment. Most likely, the hardcore Sanders base see her as a fraud (which is laughable).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1184 on: September 23, 2019, 02:02:25 PM »

Maybe because she said she believes in markets? Most likely they just can't take losing.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1185 on: September 23, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »

Maybe because she said she believes in markets? Most likely they just can't take losing.

Nail on the head. For the most extreme portion of his supporters, if it ain't Sanders, they'll find something, anything to criticize.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1186 on: September 23, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »

In the same world where Jeff Flake and Bob Corker are considered RINOs.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1187 on: September 23, 2019, 07:02:57 PM »

Bernie cultists have been attacking and unsubscribing to David Pakman simply because he reports on polls that show Warren ahead, when clearly these polls are a conspiracy against Sanders. LOL
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1188 on: September 23, 2019, 07:04:25 PM »

Bernie cultists have been attacking and unsubscribing to David Pakman simply because he reports on polls that show Warren ahead, when clearly these polls are a conspiracy against Sanders. LOL
The leftist version of 2012's "Unskewed Polls."
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1189 on: September 23, 2019, 07:06:45 PM »

The left already had their version of that in 2016 when they were in denial about the polls showing Hillary in trouble after the Comey letter.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1190 on: September 23, 2019, 07:07:11 PM »

I was very sad to see Bernie, much like Romney, buy into this nonsense himself. When asked about him being behind in polling he dismissed the polls as mostly "older" people.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1191 on: September 23, 2019, 07:09:16 PM »

Nothing like arrogant establishment Democrats parroting each other on how stupid those progressives are.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1192 on: September 23, 2019, 07:13:29 PM »

Nothing like arrogant establishment Democrats parroting each other on how stupid those progressives are.
Maybe if your crew wasn't so insufferable in 2016, there wouldn't be so much mocking...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1193 on: September 23, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »

Maybe if your crew wasn't so insufferable in 2016, there wouldn't be so much mocking...

Right, no one else can possibly be insufferable.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1194 on: September 23, 2019, 07:34:47 PM »

Right, no one else can possibly be insufferable.

Your crimes against Hilldawg cannot be forgiven!

Jk

But in all seriousness, there is a sect of fanatical Bernie supporters who will lie and slander Warren because she is not Bernie.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1195 on: September 23, 2019, 10:36:38 PM »

Wow, what a generous gesture from the Warren camp

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1196 on: September 23, 2019, 10:53:50 PM »

Sjoyce, I like you and I think you don’t deserve a lot of the criticism you get, but this is just stupid.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1197 on: September 23, 2019, 11:11:55 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2019, 11:30:41 PM by sjoyce »

Sjoyce, I like you and I think you don’t deserve a lot of the criticism you get, but this is just stupid.
Are there smart posts on the 2020 boards?

This is a place where all the most awful people on this forum congregate to say horrible things about my candidates — I don't really feel bad about "doing bad posts" in a way that disrupts their doing that.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1198 on: September 24, 2019, 01:26:29 AM »

LOL, what BS is this account?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1199 on: September 24, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »

The Bernie Bros have been reduced to Scott Brown style attacks.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies