Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:51:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 134913 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: July 19, 2019, 01:23:57 AM »

Honestly, her use of "Latinx" in the first debate was much more ridiculous than this.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #726 on: July 19, 2019, 01:56:46 AM »

Honestly, her use of "Latinx" in the first debate was much more ridiculous than this.
How and why does that bother you? LOL.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #727 on: July 19, 2019, 02:27:51 AM »

Because no words in Spanish end in two consonants, and the word is grammatical nonsense in Spanish.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #728 on: July 19, 2019, 02:32:42 AM »

Because no words in Spanish end in two consonants, and the word is grammatical nonsense in Spanish.
This is true. Projecting sexism onto -o/-a endings is the whitest thing ever and wildly misunderstands the Spanish language. Even if you really wanted to get rid of language genders, one could always use the already existent -e ending. -x is linguistically absurd, blatantly disregards Hispanic worldviews, and has a distinctly Anglo orgin.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #729 on: July 19, 2019, 03:08:12 AM »

This is true. Projecting sexism onto -o/-a endings is the whitest thing ever and wildly misunderstands the Spanish language. Even if you really wanted to get rid of language genders, one could always use the already existent -e ending. -x is linguistically absurd, blatantly disregards Hispanic worldviews, and has a distinctly Anglo orgin.

Don't you mean Anglx?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #730 on: July 19, 2019, 08:14:20 AM »

Yeah, I've been wondering about this. "Latines" at least sounds plausibly Spanish
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #731 on: July 19, 2019, 09:33:50 AM »

yikes I missed that.  Did she pronounce it "latinks" or "latinex"?
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #732 on: July 19, 2019, 10:29:44 AM »

Fair, but I know plenty of Hispanic people who refer to themselves as Latinx
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #733 on: July 19, 2019, 10:54:24 AM »

Yes, this is a generational American thing, not necessarily something to do with the language of origin. Lots of other young folks of various ethnicities employ the same scheme.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #734 on: July 19, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »

Yeah I definitely started using it at the direction of young Hispanic activists I know.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #735 on: July 19, 2019, 02:01:42 PM »

Speaking only for myself, almost every Spanish-speaker I know thinks the term is idiotic and an invention of white Twitter activists. Literally the entire language is gendered; are we going to go through noun by noun to render the whole lexicon as sterile and sexless as Social Justice-speak is? News flash for everyone: Conjugating your words properly is not sexist, or "non-binary exclusive" or whatever.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #736 on: July 19, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »

The people I know whose first language is Spanish liked it when Warren said Latinx.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #737 on: July 19, 2019, 04:32:53 PM »

The people I know whose first language is Spanish liked it when Warren said Latinx.

Is this a sample that's likely to be representative of the general Spanish-speaking population, or is it limited to young third-generation Mexicans with purple hair?
BundouYMB

« Reply #738 on: July 19, 2019, 04:34:52 PM »

Is this a sample that's likely to be representative of the general Spanish-speaking population, or is it limited to young third-generation Mexicans with purple hair?

No one born south of the boarder would say Latinx. It's a very strange Amercanism.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #739 on: July 19, 2019, 04:36:22 PM »

No one born south of the boarder would say Latinx. It's a very strange Amercanism.
Latinx is the stupid invention that ought to be thrown in the dumpster.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #740 on: July 19, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »

It'd be more useful to convince Spain to do what Sweden did to Masculine/Feminine than use something like "Latinx".
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #741 on: July 19, 2019, 05:13:28 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 05:16:40 PM by RoboWop »

Anyone who uses Latinx, especially out loud, is goofy. But that's part of Warren's appeal anyway.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #742 on: July 19, 2019, 05:46:34 PM »

Yeah, this semantic issue is one that I am neutral on, I don't really care one way or the other. But what matters is what the Latin American community thinks and in my experience most are pretty neutral on it too, with some favoring it, and a few more who are probably the loudest detesting it. So the entire spectrum exists and overall indicates to me that arguing about it isn't worth expending the mental energy.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #743 on: July 19, 2019, 05:59:27 PM »

1st-generation Mexican-American.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #744 on: July 19, 2019, 06:21:05 PM »

That’s simply untrue, I’ve seen numerous examples in Latin America.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #745 on: July 19, 2019, 08:55:55 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 08:59:11 PM by NoobMaster69 »

I always want people who use "Latinx" to be asked to pluralize it or put it in a sentence. It's grammatical nonsense and you can't do it. It's the most gringx thing I can think of.  If you said "Lxs galetxs son muy buenxs", you'd get laughed at.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #746 on: July 19, 2019, 10:45:29 PM »

I always want people who use "Latinx" to be asked to pluralize it or put it in a sentence. It's grammatical nonsense and you can't do it. It's the most gringx thing I can think of.  If you said "Lxs galetxs son muy buenxs", you'd get laughed at.

Don't forget to apply it to cities like Sanx Franciscx and Sanx Anx.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #747 on: July 19, 2019, 11:25:48 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 11:37:39 PM by NoobMaster69 »

I always want people who use "Latinx" to be asked to pluralize it or put it in a sentence. It's grammatical nonsense and you can't do it. It's the most gringx thing I can think of.  If you said "Lxs galetxs son muy buenxs", you'd get laughed at.

Don't forget to apply it to cities like Sanx Franciscx and Sanx Anx.

Lxs profesorxs de lx Universidxd Californix Lxs Angelxs son de muchxs paisxs
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #748 on: July 20, 2019, 12:02:00 AM »

Y’all sound like Agustín Laje and all the Latin American reactionaries who complain about “gender ideology” right now, except you’re also making disprovable claims of objective fact. Here’s four examples of actual Latin Americans, native Spanish speakers, using “lenguaje inclusivo”. Uruguayan student union. Another one in Argentina. Costa Rican indigenous movement. And one in Mexico.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #749 on: July 20, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »

I have a feeling this thread has drifted off a bit... Again.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies