Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 06:48:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 135094 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: May 05, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »

Who keeps unstickying these campaign threads?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #401 on: May 05, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »

Has to be all of the major ones, or none at all
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #402 on: May 05, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »

This is an outrage, EW is a major candidate and has threads continually bumped by supporters here. She isn’t going to collapse in support from or care here or otherwise till the primaries.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #403 on: May 05, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »

Have no idea.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #404 on: May 05, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »

I don't see why any of them should be stickied in the first place. If they really are major candidates, there shouldn't be any problem with them staying on the first page or two-- which is the entire point of keeping a thread stickied to begin with.
HarrisonL

« Reply #405 on: May 08, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »

Wow there are a lot more Warren supporters on Atlas than I thought.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #406 on: May 09, 2019, 08:48:49 PM »

Wow there are a lot more Warren supporters on Atlas than I thought.

Well, that's because she's the only candidate with any damn ideas, and people are starting to realize.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2019, 10:00:27 AM »

It doesn't matter, although it does make the candidates involved look ridiculous. It is somewhat insulting to voters. These people are candidates, not comedians. It shows.

The candidates are running for office in a nation that elected a reality TV star because he played was edited to look like a hard-nosed billionaire business tycoon on a TV show.  I'm inclined to cut them a little slack.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #408 on: May 11, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »

Warren Campaigns in Ohio to boost Primary chances

Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2019, 10:14:16 PM »

Elizabeth Warren actually campaigned in West Virginia yesterday talking about the Opioid epidemic.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/politics/tired-of-freeloading-billionaires-warren-pitches-opioid-relief-plan-in/article_3d192ba4-5d7b-5f6b-bc83-0e238f5c2511.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/11/warren-west-virginia-2020-1317611
HarrisonL

« Reply #410 on: May 14, 2019, 06:55:03 AM »

I do support Biden, but I respect Warren for also having ideas and understanding the issues that matter to the places she campaigns in, unlike someone like Beto who makes eloquent promises in his speeches, but falls short on the policy front.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #411 on: May 14, 2019, 10:33:44 AM »

Didn't know where to put it, so chose that thread  Wink + Tongue
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #412 on: May 14, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »

Purple heart
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #413 on: May 14, 2019, 11:35:38 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2019, 12:52:11 PM by GP270watch »

Purple heart

I like the stand against Fox the cable news channel but I have a feeling if she gets in a room or is broadcast to Fox watching voters, she could be relatable to a good deal of them.

Bernie won that Fox townhall audience much to Trump and Fox's chagrin.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #414 on: May 14, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »

Not sure how I feel about this - on surface level I think Warren may actually have the most to gain from going on there compared to other Dem candidates, as its viewers probably have a caricatured image of her in their minds and appearing there early could probably help break it.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #415 on: May 14, 2019, 03:14:49 PM »

The Democratic senator released results of a poll of Fox News' viewers that showed that 1/1024 of viewers are bigots which according to Elizabeth Warren is "strong evidence" to back up her claim of Fox News "profiting of racism"  Pacman

All jokes aside that was a right choice for her. Her "Native American heritage" and her WOKE policies would be ridiculed and I don't think she could defend that. She anyway doesn't resonate much with non-college educated whites (in contrast to Bernie and of course Biden) while there is a lot of college educated who might love her bashing Trump/Fox News. She can probable steal Buttigieg's voters?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #416 on: May 14, 2019, 04:57:59 PM »

The Democratic senator released results of a poll of Fox News' viewers that showed that 1/1024 of viewers are bigots which according to Elizabeth Warren is "strong evidence" to back up her claim of Fox News "profiting of racism"  Pacman

All jokes aside that was a right choice for her. Her "Native American heritage" and her WOKE policies would be ridiculed and I don't think she could defend that. She anyway doesn't resonate much with non-college educated whites (in contrast to Bernie and of course Biden) while there is a lot of college educated who might love her bashing Trump/Fox News. She can probable steal Buttigieg's voters?
Stop gaslighting. FOX News is inherently anti-black, anti-Muslim, and anti-immigrant. And so are its viewers.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #417 on: May 14, 2019, 05:14:04 PM »

Stop gaslighting. FOX News is inherently anti-black, anti-Muslim, and anti-immigrant. And so are its viewers.

Yes, every single person who's ever glimpsed FOX News on TV is a racist and a sexist. And anyone whose hand has ever brushed against a leather jacket should be jailed for animal cruelty.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #418 on: May 14, 2019, 05:22:22 PM »

I think this is a mistake, she could have made a good impression and reached out to people, Bernie's townhall was pretty successful. Expectations and people's images are so low of her that it's not hard to overperform.

Also I'm reminded of this article; https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/11/warren-west-virginia-2020-1317611
Kermit is one of the epicenters of the opioid addiction epidemic. The toll is visible. The community center is shuttered. Fire trucks are decades old. When Warren asked people at the beginning of the event to raise their hands if they knew somebody who’s been “caught in the grips of addiction,” most hands went up.

“That’s why I’m here today,” she said.

Warren entered the room from behind a large American flag draped in the station. Roving around a circle of people seated in fold-out chairs, she tried to strike a tone equal parts empathy and fury, while avoiding pity. She went full prairie populist, telling people their pain and suffering was caused by predatory pharmaceutical barons.

The 63-year-old fire chief, Wilburn “Tommy” Preece, warned Warren and her team beforehand that the area was “Trump country” and to not necessarily expect a friendly reception. But he also told her that the town would welcome anyone, of any party, who wanted to address the opioid crisis. Preece was the first responder to a reported overdose two years ago only to discover that the victim was his younger brother Timmy, who died.

Preece said after the event that he voted for Trump and that the president has revitalized the area economically. But he gave Warren props for showing up.

“She done good,” he said.

Others agreed.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #419 on: May 14, 2019, 05:50:47 PM »

I can understand her reasoning, but it’s a bit disappointing that she turned down a Fox town hall because she probably could have killed it.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #420 on: May 14, 2019, 09:11:14 PM »

Democrat Warren says she would pick a public school teacher for education post
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #421 on: May 15, 2019, 01:19:36 AM »

As someone who's been highly skeptical of the use of such town halls by Democrats on Fox News, good on her for realizing the counter productive nature of such. It may win her some votes, and may even win her the primary. But the long term strategy of ending Fox News as a propaganda outfit, which is essential for the sake of our democracy, would not be served by such de facto endorsements of the network. When a TV channel is not a legitimate news source, don't provide the fig leaf that lets them claim otherwise.

Had some conversations with folks today who claimed that 'oh, but it would push people to other networks!' and I just had to laugh at their lack of understanding of the demographics Fox has been courting for decades now. Have the town hall and a few hours later Tucker comes on to tell the faithful why everything they just heard was just so awful. Repeat day after day, and the short term gains evaporate.

No, if one is serious about structural changes to our nation to better serve the cause of democracy and equality, then one must have a hard line with rage machines like Fox. And I'm glad someone's taking a hard stance on that. Its kind of about dang time.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #422 on: May 15, 2019, 01:35:28 AM »

Disappointed she didn't take the town hall. Of course she's not going to sway massive numbers of people who watch Fox, but it's about messaging. Democrats need to fight back against the talking point that we like to live in a bubble and tune out opposing points of view. This perception really is hurting the party, and while pushing back against it isn't going to be enough to win the election by itself, it's one of several things Democrats can be doing to package their message differently.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #423 on: May 15, 2019, 01:50:34 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2019, 01:58:19 AM by KYWildman »

I like Liz. I doubt she can win, but I like her. And part of the reason I like her is because she has for the most part acted as a fighter who’s unafraid of taking risks or confronting people head-on. So I’m disappointed that she won’t venture into the Lions’ den. Fox News may be a toxic bubble, but the only way to ever break that bubble is to go inside and expose its own BS to its viewers. Obviously the bubble won’t burst overnight, but creating doubt in the heads of even a few of the Kool-Aid drinkers who watch that network is a step in the right direction. Bill Maher has said this many times and I think he’s totally right. Right-wingers go on his show all the time; until recently most left-wingers rarely dared to go on conservative shows. That just makes us look cowardly and weak, and reinforces their ideas about us. AND it limits our audience to our own bubble.

These excuses about Fox being a propaganda network that shouldn’t be legitimized are BS. They’re true, but they’re BS. The fact is millions of Americans believe Fox News is a legitimate network, and Elizabeth Warren — someone they’re already conditioned  to think is a raving lunatic — claiming otherwise isn’t going to change the mind of a single one of them. Going on the network, however, and presenting yourself as a reasonable person who is far from a raving lunatic as they’ve been told might well do just that.

Also, she’ll campaign in West Virginia but not go on Fox? Doesn’t make much sense to me. Instead of taking some kind of high-minded stand against Fox as an entity, she should just think of it as being in a room with millions of West Virginians. We saw how some of the small crowd she talked in front of there were impressed and found her relatable. That same effect on a much larger audience would be huge.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #424 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:56 AM »

I like Liz. I doubt she can win, but I like her. And part of the reason I like her is because she has for the most part acted as a fighter who’s unafraid of taking risks or confronting people head-on. So I’m disappointed that she won’t venture into the Lions’ den. Fox News may be a toxic bubble, but the only way to ever break that bubble is to go inside and expose its own BS to its viewers. Obviously the bubble won’t burst overnight, but creating doubt in the heads of even a few of the Kool-Aid drinkers who watch that network is a step in the right direction. Bill Maher has said this many times and I think he’s totally right. Right-wingers go on his show all the time; until recently most left-wingers rarely dared to go on conservative shows. That just makes us look cowardly and weak, and reinforces their ideas about us. AND it limits our audience to our own bubble.

These excuses about Fox being a propaganda network that shouldn’t be legitimized are BS. They’re true, but they’re BS. The fact is millions of Americans believe Fox News is a legitimate network, and Elizabeth Warren — someone they’re already conditioned  to think is a raving lunatic — claiming otherwise isn’t going to change the mind of a single one of them. Going on the network, however, and presenting yourself as a reasonable person who is far from a raving lunatic as they’ve been told might well do just that.

Fox is a propaganda network, but they're hardly alone in that respect, so it's not really an argument for not going on them.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies