Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 05:42:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 133676 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »

What about Elizabeth Warren is elitist? This has never made an ounce of sense to me.

She’s from Massachusetts and isn’t characteristic enough to offset said weakness.

Hell, shes even considered elitist in Massachusetts, mostly due to her occupation(Harvard professor), her speaking style, and her the appearance of being "out of touch".
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2018, 03:14:53 PM »

What about Elizabeth Warren is elitist? This has never made an ounce of sense to me.

She’s from Massachusetts and isn’t characteristic enough to offset said weakness.

Hell, shes even considered elitist in Massachusetts, mostly due to her occupation(Harvard professor), her speaking style, and her the appearance of being "out of touch".

It's funny because UChicago is almost as elite as Harvard, but Obama wasn't considered an "elitist academic" to nearly the same extent as Warren.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »

It's funny because UChicago is almost as elite as Harvard, but Obama wasn't considered an "elitist academic" to nearly the same extent as Warren.

The average Joe doesn’t perceive Chicago in the same way that they do Harvard.
mgop
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2018, 03:16:32 PM »

well she is certainly more charismatic than hillary
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »

well she is certainly more charismatic than hillary

That’s such a low bar.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2018, 03:19:20 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2018, 03:23:34 PM by Da2017 »

She's holding a news conference right now, which you can watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tispO60-z4k

Not seeing it. She looked nervous. She comes across as a boring monotone professor. I think she will be seen as the kid who knows all the answers,but you don't want to hang out with at recess. It's unfortunate how presidential races work.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »

I must echo what Senator Zaybay said she is seen as elitist within the state of Massachusetts.

I also don't understand why many people here consider her to be a good debater. She has rather constantly been carried along by the general lean of the sate more than any strength of her candidacy   In 2012 she underperformed the top of the ticket and in 2018, a very good Democratic year, she performed poorly against a candidate who ran as a supporter of Donald Trump in Massachusetts.   
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2018, 03:49:19 PM »

So does Warren have to answer why she was a Republican well into her 40’s like Hillary had to explain being a low information Goldwater Girl following her father in high school?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »

Lol
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2018, 03:59:15 PM »

Definitely not the best candidate to run. I’ll still be searching for other prospective candidates. However, I don’t think I can completely rule out supporting Warren just yet.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »

Lol
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2018, 04:16:08 PM »

I wouldn't be stunned if Warren became the nominee (I certainly think she'll do better than Sanders), and if she is the nominee she should win the general.

That said, I think she's more likely to become someone else's (Harris, Booker, O'Rourke, Klobuchar) running mate, rather than the nominee.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »

She's an interesting candidate.

I liked a point that Kyle Kulinski really pointed out, her campaign will be defined by whether or not she has the guts to step away from the establishment and corporatism in all forms.

If she runs as a pure progressive - Medicare for All, address climate change and the student loan debt crisis - she probably still won't win but could reach 5-10% in polling.

If she appeals to centrism and the establishment, her campaign will be one of the biggest humiliations in recent years.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2018, 04:34:01 PM »

The irony of course being that a women from a working class family going to Harvard is the exact type of 'aspiration' and 'hard work' the GOP claim to love, whilst the GOP donor base is made up of rich trust fund types who A.) Went to Harvard B.) Live on the East or West Coast.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »

Warren won't be the nominee.

Maybe a VP candidate
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2018, 04:35:46 PM »

I don’t understand  the purpose of announcing an “exploratory committee” unless your mind is already made up. If you’re going to make an announcement like this I expect them to run.

With that said I join the thank u,next chorus
Cali123
Rookie

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2018, 05:10:27 PM »

Warren biggest challenge is making a name for herself that will encourage as many voters as she can to vote for her in the near future. Right now she comes across as "same message, different candidate". Basically a cookie cutter Democratic candidate who's message will sound generic and cause her to appear robotic compared to Trump; who's biggest strength is in his ability to communicate and appear natural. Or at least appear more comfortable in front a huge audience. 

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »

4 years ago, I was hoping she'd run for President. MoveOn was spending $1 million to convince her to run. She has come across as too establishment since then. She tried too hard to be Hillary's running mate after never endorsing or doing anything for Bernie. She is definitely to the right of Bernie. She is more hawkish, and not as issue oriented. She is very good on certain financial issues, but would be better off as a Senate leader or Secretary of Treasury.

That said, I'd still vote her in a 2-way race against most of the other candidates.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2018, 05:45:58 PM »

4 years ago, I was hoping she'd run for President. MoveOn was spending $1 million to convince her to run. She has come across as too establishment since then. She tried too hard to be Hillary's running mate after never endorsing or doing anything for Bernie. She is definitely to the right of Bernie. She is more hawkish, and not as issue oriented. She is very good on certain financial issues, but would be better off as a Senate leader or Secretary of Treasury.

That said, I'd still vote her in a 2-way race against most of the other candidates.

Pretty much this. She's decent on policy and still one of the best Senators, but I question her ability to win the general. The DNA thing hurt her and she doesn't really seem able to take Trump's attacks very well.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »

There's also the fact that Warren was tenured at Harvard whereas Obama was only ever a non-tenure track lecturer. Warren's was a career whereas Obama's was just something he did for a while.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2018, 06:05:00 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UMfHnixzMA&feature=youtu.be&a= Trump has a point.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »

She's an interesting candidate.

I liked a point that Kyle Kulinski really pointed out, her campaign will be defined by whether or not she has the guts to step away from the establishment and corporatism in all forms.

If she runs as a pure progressive - Medicare for All, address climate change and the student loan debt crisis - she probably still won't win but could reach 5-10% in polling.

If she appeals to centrism and the establishment, her campaign will be one of the biggest humiliations in recent years.

Her problem with progressives is that she waffled on Sanders and Clinton in 2016 when she was more ideologically similar to Sanders, and then endorsed Clinton after the primaries finished.

I'm not stupid enough that I won't admit many progressives aren't vindictive to the point of idiocy, but she is treading on mighty thin ice with the rest of us.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »

The irony of course being that a women from a working class family going to Harvard is the exact type of 'aspiration' and 'hard work' the GOP claim to love, whilst the GOP donor base is made up of rich trust fund types who A.) Went to Harvard B.) Live on the East or West Coast.

Don't forget C.) Don't actually want to see working-class types going to Harvard alongside the rich trust fund types.
James Monroe

« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2018, 10:12:47 PM »

Warren did bashed Obama post-presidential speeches and TPP. She was reluctant to endorse Hillary even after she had the nomination all locked up in March. If Warren wanted to positioned herself as the Democratic champion why has she gone out of her way bashing the party politicians?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »

Warren did bashed Obama post-presidential speeches and TPP. She was reluctant to endorse Hillary even after she had the nomination all locked up in March. If Warren wanted to positioned herself as the Democratic champion why has she gone out of her way bashing the party politicians?

Warren spent a lot of time sucking up to Hillary hoping that she'd pick her as her running mate. Politician Warren hasn't been very critical of Hillary compared to pre-politician Warren. Just because you Hillary purity trolls have 90% of the Senate who endorsed her in the primary doesn't mean that she has stood up to Hillary much.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies