SB 8609: Paycheck Fairness Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:00:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 8609: Paycheck Fairness Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 8609: Paycheck Fairness Act  (Read 3077 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« on: December 29, 2018, 12:45:20 AM »

This is based on rl legislation to address the gender pay gap. It is so important that we rectify this injustice, and this would help create greater fairness in pay and reduce the gender pay gap so there is equal pay for equal work in our nation. This bill takes several important steps towards doing so, by protecting employee rights and providing greater training to enable women and girls to negotiate higher pay. It limits the justifications for pay differentials, which will reduce the ability of employers to justify an unfair gender pay gap, doing more to avert gender pay disparities. There are many wide-ranging measures in this bill to reduce the gender pay gap, and this deserves the strong support of our Congress so we can finally take action on this issue.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 02:06:42 PM »

Is it normal in New Zealand for your Parliament to increase a tax rate and then 2 months later increase it again?

I believe any potential harm from this estate tax increase is more than mitigated by the revenue it raises and the purpose of that revenue, though I understand others may disagree.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 06:38:24 PM »

I object to the amendment.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2018, 07:05:38 PM by Pericles »

The bill works best when taken as a full package. While I'd be open to clarifying the role of the actual SoIA to avoid overloading them, the different components of the bill are important. There does need to be more research into this issue and greater national understanding and transparency on it(and I was disappointed by dismissive comments that I found uninformed). The steps in this bill are appropriate, and a gutted bill would be less effective at reducing the gender pay gap as there are many contributing issues. I believe the expenditure and funding appropriated to this bill is not unreasonable, and that this bill is beneficial to Atlasia.

Finally, I'd like to confirm that there is a serious problem of a gender pay gap. Currently, women are disadvantaged financially compared to men. I don't want women to be treated better than men and paid more than men, I want to level the playing field so everyone is treated fairly regardless of gender, and given the uneven starting positions the provisions of this bill can't simply make both genders better off but do have to be targeted to ensure fairness in the future. Currently, women in Atlasia working full-time on average earn $0.80 to every dollar earned by a man, and at the current rate of change pay equity won't be reached until 2059(link). The gap is even greater when broken down by race, Black women make $0.63 for every dollar, while Latina women earn $0.54 for every dollar.

Notably, 83% of women do believe there is a pay gap. There is still a pay gap even when accounting for different choices such as whether to raise a family and who takes on the primary family role. What is pretty clear is that there is some level of pay-gap, which both discrimination and differences in how pay negotiations go contribute to. This is a significant problem, the average $0.20 gap comes to on average $10,000 a year, and even in lower-paying professions comes to around $5,000. This is a serious disadvantage and an unfair one, and one that we need to take seriously and address.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »

Nay
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 11:40:52 PM »

What is the status of this?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2019, 02:15:56 PM by Pericles »

The vote on the amendment was 2-2.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 02:07:15 AM »

To address those concerns, I propose this amendment, adding this clause to section 12.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 12:21:31 AM »

I motion for a final vote.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 03:58:48 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies