Age of Revolution - Sign Up Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:11:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Age of Revolution - Sign Up Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Age of Revolution - Sign Up Thread  (Read 5710 times)
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« on: December 28, 2018, 11:35:37 AM »

With Russia taken, I'd like Poland, please.
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »

Actually, I think I'd like to switch to Austria if that's ok. Working with the Sejm, trying to pass reforms, and dealing with Russian interference would just be too much of a headache.
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »

So... The Dutch player selling a colony is equal to the Swedish peace?

Fact: the Swedes giving up Finland is not reasonable, when their Ottoman and Austrian allies have 250,000 troops ready. I advise a reset in Scandinavia to before the surrender, so Sweden can do what it normally would: call on its Austrian and Ottoman allies.

Also of note: The Danish King also just attacked his brother-in-law, first cousin through George I, and cousin-in-law, Gustav III - a highly irregular move, as such marriage alliances made war almost impossible. Frederick II attacked his nephew, and Catherine the Great attacked her first cousin. Only by the late nineteenth and early twentieth century had warfare become so impersonal and royal marriages powerless enough for a war between first cousins to be considered not a major incident. The reputation of Denmark in particular would be hurt.

Not related to the current dispute, but it's not really accurate to say that royal marriages made war impossible. For example, Louis XIV's wife was the half-sister of the King of Spain, and yet that didn't stop his expansionist policies against the Spanish. And in the War of the Quadruple Alliance, the French and Spanish Bourbons fought each other even though they were members of the same dynasty.
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:58:40 PM »

So... The Dutch player selling a colony is equal to the Swedish peace?

Fact: the Swedes giving up Finland is not reasonable, when their Ottoman and Austrian allies have 250,000 troops ready. I advise a reset in Scandinavia to before the surrender, so Sweden can do what it normally would: call on its Austrian and Ottoman allies.

Also of note: The Danish King also just attacked his brother-in-law, first cousin through George I, and cousin-in-law, Gustav III - a highly irregular move, as such marriage alliances made war almost impossible. Frederick II attacked his nephew, and Catherine the Great attacked her first cousin. Only by the late nineteenth and early twentieth century had warfare become so impersonal and royal marriages powerless enough for a war between first cousins to be considered not a major incident. The reputation of Denmark in particular would be hurt.

Not related to the current dispute, but it's not really accurate to say that royal marriages made war impossible. For example, Louis XIV's wife was the half-sister of the King of Spain, and yet that didn't stop his expansionist policies against the Spanish. And in the War of the Quadruple Alliance, the French and Spanish Bourbons fought each other even though they were members of the same dynasty.

Louis XIV was then made to give up his Spanish gains to an international alliance.

But that had nothing to do with the royal marriage. The alliance forced him to give up the territory because they feared the loss of a buffer state between France and the Dutch in the form of the Spanish Netherlands. And Louis would eventually make Spanish gains after the Franco-Dutch War.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies