NC-SEN 2020: Tar Heel Tillis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:21:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC-SEN 2020: Tar Heel Tillis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 43
Author Topic: NC-SEN 2020: Tar Heel Tillis  (Read 75272 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: October 07, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »

“Vote for the cheater, not the beater”
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #776 on: October 07, 2020, 12:49:15 PM »

I just read that the Army Reserves is "investigating", so that could be a wild card.
Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #777 on: October 07, 2020, 12:52:30 PM »

sees Cal news

sees Tillis news

did y'all know that North Carolina is the only state to get just one senator? crazy I know!

but seriously can we please just abolish this cursed seat, ever since Jesse Helms vacated it, this seat has been cursed to all hell
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #778 on: October 07, 2020, 12:53:50 PM »

The thread title should be changed to "The Cheater vs. The Beater".
LtNOWIS

« Reply #779 on: October 07, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »

http://american-ledger.com/accountability/thom-tillis-ex-wife-cites-cruel-and-inhuman-treatment-in-divorce-documents/

Lmao. I had a dream last night that Tillis would have some relationship dirt that would be dug up, and lo and behold.

According to court filings obtained by American Ledger, North Carolina Republican Senator Thom Tillis’ ex-wife alleged “cruel and inhuman treatment” by Tillis, raising questions about the reasons surrounding the couple’s eventual divorce. In Tennessee, where the couple was married, “cruel and inhuman treatment” legally includes domestic violence, adultery, emotional or verbal abuse, and sexual assault.

The divorce complaint, filed in August 1979 on Tillis’ birthday, stated that Tillis was “guilty of such cruel and inhuman treatment or conduct towards the plaintiff as renders further cohabitation unsafe and improper.” The divorce filing also noted that Tillis’ ex-wife felt “unsafe and improper” living with Tillis any further because of his actions, which may include any or all of the actions outlined in the law.

Welp...

May God rest Kay Hagan's soul, but her oppo research team really sucked.
Yeah. I guess oppo is harder than people say, and they can't be expected to get like, Ralph Northam's yearbooks. But court records should be pretty easy, I would think.

I just read that the Army Reserves is "investigating", so that could be a wild card.
In this context it probably means some random person of sufficiently high rank is the Investigating Officer, not any sort of professional or criminal investigator.

The legal basis is the commander's ability to asses his or her unit, not criminal law as such. In theory they could produce a report that leads to some action, as I said earlier, it'd be some reprimand or nothing, not a court martial.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #780 on: October 07, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »

Or we could...you know...not start slinging around completely baseless, unsubstantiated, and thus far strictly hypothetical domestic violence allegations against Tillis just b/c we don’t like his political views.  Also, the folks in this thread who are clearly hoping Tillis turns out to be a wife-beater should really be ashamed of yourselves.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #781 on: October 07, 2020, 01:04:09 PM »

From what I can gather, the woman Cunningham was with is still married to someone in the Army, but they are separated, so unless I'm mistaken it doesn't appear that Cal has victimized a fellow serviceman through his actions.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #782 on: October 07, 2020, 01:10:12 PM »

Or we could...you know...not start slinging around completely baseless, unsubstantiated, and thus far strictly hypothetical domestic violence allegations against Tillis just b/c we don’t like his political views.  Also, the folks in this thread who are clearly hoping Tillis turns out to be a wife-beater should really be ashamed of yourselves.

If you believe Democratic control of the U.S. Senate is integral to the preservation of American democracy and preventing thousands of people from dying because of healthcare costs it's quite logical to hope Tillis is a wife-beater. To be clear, I hope Tillis isn't abusing anybody now, but if it happened in 1979 it happened and whether I want it to be true or not has no bearing on the outcome.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #783 on: October 07, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »

Wait, now Tillis has a scandal? I had just moved this race from Likely D to Likely R, Tillis underperforming Trump by 5 to overperforming him by 8, but I guess now I have to move it to Titanium D, with Tillis underperforming Trump by 13. My sources tell me that hundreds of thousands of voters in NC went from leaning toward Cunningham to set on Tillis to absolutely set on Cunningham after very carefully following the news cycle of this race and refreshing Twitter every 3.6 seconds.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #784 on: October 07, 2020, 01:14:23 PM »

I'd be a little cautious with this. There's not any actual claim of specific behavior so I don't know that this isn't just a normal divorce petition. That kind of language was common back in the stone age before no-fault divorce.

Also, there's a risk of a Sherrod Brown situation where the ex-wife still supports him politically.

I'm with ibagli on this one.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #785 on: October 07, 2020, 01:22:37 PM »

If you believe Democratic control of the U.S. Senate is integral to the preservation of American democracy and preventing thousands of people from dying because of healthcare costs it's quite logical to hope Tillis is a wife-beater. To be clear, I hope Tillis isn't anybody now, but if it happened in 1979 it happened and whether I want it to be true or not has no bearing on the outcome.

Except that also means hoping his ex-wife is a victim of domestic violence.  I think it’s unjustifiable and morally repugnant to hope a woman was beaten by her ex-husband just b/c you disagree with the latter’s political views, but that’s just me Tongue  
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #786 on: October 07, 2020, 01:25:23 PM »

Wait, now Tillis has a scandal? I had just moved this race from Likely D to Likely R, Tillis underperforming Trump by 5 to overperforming him by 8, but I guess now I have to move it to Titanium D, with Tillis underperforming Trump by 13. My sources tell me that hundreds of thousands of voters in NC went from leaning toward Cunningham to set on Tillis to absolutely set on Cunningham after very carefully following the news cycle of this race and refreshing Twitter every 3.6 seconds.

No, some Democratic hacks are trying to conjure up a domestic violence scandal despite no evidence or even accusation of such a thing having ever occurred. 

I know, I'm making fun of the immediate overreaction. Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #787 on: October 07, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »

No, some Democratic hacks are trying to conjure up a domestic violence scandal despite no evidence or even accusation of such a thing having ever occurred. 

I know, I'm making fun of the immediate overreaction. Tongue

Fair enough
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #788 on: October 07, 2020, 01:39:21 PM »

Dont know how credible this guy is but
\

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #789 on: October 07, 2020, 01:39:32 PM »

It's not Cunningham's job to talk about Tillis's divorce papers. That's what Super PACs are for.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #790 on: October 07, 2020, 01:49:28 PM »

Jeremy Todd spoke to a local reporter and he wants Cunningham to drop out. He also claims some of the texts are fake and he didn't release any of them.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #791 on: October 07, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »

So some of the texts are fake? Interesting

I hope that Cal has a comprehensive response to all of this tonight with a pivot to the issues at stake.

Also, this Tillis divorce thing is really weak. Cmon. This is clearly from before the era of no fault divorce. I'm not going to draw too many conclusions.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #792 on: October 07, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »

If some of them are fake, I hope this Howley guy gets investigated.
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #793 on: October 07, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »

What does the North Carolina Dem bench look like if Cunningham drops out? And what would the logistics be? Cunningham remains on ballot but the Dem party make clear it will be X who ends up in the seat?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #794 on: October 07, 2020, 01:58:37 PM »

What does the North Carolina Dem bench look like if Cunningham drops out? And what would the logistics be? Cunningham remains on ballot but the Dem party make clear it will be X who ends up in the seat?

He can pledge to resign on day one.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #795 on: October 07, 2020, 02:00:03 PM »

Dropping out is not happening

He can’t be taken off the ballot
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #796 on: October 07, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »

http://american-ledger.com/accountability/thom-tillis-ex-wife-cites-cruel-and-inhuman-treatment-in-divorce-documents/

Lmao. I had a dream last night that Tillis would have some relationship dirt that would be dug up, and lo and behold.

According to court filings obtained by American Ledger, North Carolina Republican Senator Thom Tillis’ ex-wife alleged “cruel and inhuman treatment” by Tillis, raising questions about the reasons surrounding the couple’s eventual divorce. In Tennessee, where the couple was married, “cruel and inhuman treatment” legally includes domestic violence, adultery, emotional or verbal abuse, and sexual assault.

The divorce complaint, filed in August 1979 on Tillis’ birthday, stated that Tillis was “guilty of such cruel and inhuman treatment or conduct towards the plaintiff as renders further cohabitation unsafe and improper.” The divorce filing also noted that Tillis’ ex-wife felt “unsafe and improper” living with Tillis any further because of his actions, which may include any or all of the actions outlined in the law.

Welp...

May God rest Kay Hagan's soul, but her oppo research team really sucked.

Hagan shouldn't have won in 2008 in the first place. Brad Miller or Janet Cowell would have kept the seat, even in a 2014 GOP wave

Dole would have retired in 2014 anyway
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #797 on: October 07, 2020, 02:37:05 PM »

FYI, Patrick Howley is not a credible source on anything.  In his own bio he boasts about his association with Infowars and OANN.

The fact that a lot of the details in this story are going through him makes it overwhelmingly clear that this is a coordinated alt-right hit job.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #798 on: October 07, 2020, 02:39:55 PM »

Also the Cunningham campaign should totally use the Tillis divorce allegations against him.  Give voters a reason to say "both guys are bad" or "both sides are the same" even if the reality is that one is an order of magnitude worse than the other.  Especially if the Tillis explanation requires a lot of preordained knowledge about divorce settlement laws.  Voters won't want to listen to the details.  They'll just want to set their brains to "Tillis did something bad to his wife, Cunningham did something bad to his wife, they are both awful, it cancels out."

This is what the right does to us all the damn time.  This is how they won the 2016 presidential election and how they continue to win races.  Fight them with their own weapons.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #799 on: October 07, 2020, 02:41:05 PM »

This seat is Madison's if he wants it in 2026 anyway, so, it's sad that either one will remain a dud til 2026.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies