The Official 2020 Census Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:07:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Official 2020 Census Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56
Poll
Question: Are you taking part ?
Yes

No

Still undecided

Not an American, but I would

Not an American, but I would not

Not an American & still undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 200

Author Topic: The Official 2020 Census Thread  (Read 116812 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: March 03, 2021, 01:57:14 PM »

The Census Bureau has a constitutional mandate to produce accurate population numbers. This constitutional mandate supersedes any statutory regulation. The law can't force the Census Bureau to produce inaccurate numbers, that would be blatantly unconstitutional.
The Census Bureau is a creation of the Congress.

The Congress has the constitutional mandate under the necessary and proper clause to cause an enumeration to be done in a timely manner. Whether numbers are accurate enough is a political decisions.

The Census Bureau in essence has gone rogue. Ohio has sued the proper executive branch agencies.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1326 on: March 03, 2021, 03:19:54 PM »

Republican OH sues the Census Bureau, because they are too lazy to re-schedule their redistricting process (like other non-lazy states do)
Here is the complaint.

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Files/Briefing-Room/News-Releases/Activity-in-Case-321-cv-00064-TMR-State-Of-Ohio-v.aspx

The Census Bureau is in violation of federal statute. Ohio would have to amend its Constitution or use an alternate data source. The Census Bureau has not explained why they plan to dump all the data at the last moment.

On the Feb conference call to the National Conference of State Legislatures, the CB described in detail the advantages and disadvantages of a staggered release and a single-day release. The advantage of the single day release is it provided the most accurate numbers for all states on the earliest date. A staggered release might provide some states earlier data, but other states would be significantly later due to their methods to cross check data for consistency. I was on the call and I believe OH was on the call, too.

This is the webinar, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXfuUmiEpp4&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=NCSLorg

These are the slides - they get covered up by zoom boxes.

Slides for Webinar (PDF)

Ben Williams suggested that statutory and legislative deadlines might be pushed back, but acknowledged that he didn't know whether that was plausible for constitutional deadlines, as is the case in Ohio.

It was interesting that he suggested redistricting based on other data sources, and then adjusting as necessary. That is what I would do.

Surprisingly, the Ohio Constitution actually provides for use of alternate data sources.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1327 on: March 03, 2021, 04:08:43 PM »

Republican OH sues the Census Bureau, because they are too lazy to re-schedule their redistricting process (like other non-lazy states do)
Here is the complaint.

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Files/Briefing-Room/News-Releases/Activity-in-Case-321-cv-00064-TMR-State-Of-Ohio-v.aspx

The Census Bureau is in violation of federal statute. Ohio would have to amend its Constitution or use an alternate data source. The Census Bureau has not explained why they plan to dump all the data at the last moment.

On the Feb conference call to the National Conference of State Legislatures, the CB described in detail the advantages and disadvantages of a staggered release and a single-day release. The advantage of the single day release is it provided the most accurate numbers for all states on the earliest date. A staggered release might provide some states earlier data, but other states would be significantly later due to their methods to cross check data for consistency. I was on the call and I believe OH was on the call, too.

Slides for Webinar (PDF)

Ben Williams suggested that statutory and legislative deadlines might be pushed back, but acknowledged that he didn't know whether that was plausible for constitutional deadlines, as is the case in Ohio.

It was interesting that he suggested redistricting based on other data sources, and then adjusting as necessary. That is what I would do.

Surprisingly, the Ohio Constitution actually provides for use of alternate data sources.

The use of other data sources and then adjusting is also what was proposed in the MN suit.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1328 on: March 03, 2021, 06:49:17 PM »

Here is the complaint.

Slides for Webinar (PDF)

The use of other data sources and then adjusting is also what was proposed in the MN suit.
I didn't see that - and I just checked again.

The included plans did use estimates.

Shouldn't the legislature and governor be the parties that are sued? If the plaintiffs are injured, is it their inaction that is the cause?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1329 on: March 03, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »

Here is the complaint.

Slides for Webinar (PDF)

Shouldn't the legislature and governor be the parties that are sued? If the plaintiffs are injured, is it their inaction that is the cause?

This is from the complaint (emphasis added):
29.Plaintiffs will update this preliminary plan in the months to come. The first update will be with the 2019 population estimates previously reported by the State Demographer and the 2020 Census TIGER geography from the Census Bureau. The Census Bureau has announced that all states will receive their 2020 TIGER geography toward the end of February. The second update will be with the redistricting data delivered to the state under Public Law 94-171(the population counts  with  race  and  ethnicity  data  at  the  level  of  a  census  block).  The  Census  Bureau  has announced that the redistricting data will be delivered to all states by September 30, 2021.7  The third update will be when this Court solicits from each of the parties redistricting plans the Court may consult in drawing its own plans.

As for the parties at suit, I trust that plaintiff Wattson knows state law. Given his service as general counsel to the MN Senate I'm sure he knows who are the appropriate parties. AFAIK he could have written the laws he's suing under.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1330 on: March 03, 2021, 07:32:09 PM »

Here is the complaint.

Slides for Webinar (PDF)

29.Plaintiffs will update this preliminary plan in the months to come. The first update will be with the 2019 population estimates previously reported by the State Demographer and the 2020 Census TIGER geography from the Census Bureau. The Census Bureau has announced that all states will receive their 2020 TIGER geography toward the end of February. The second update will be with the redistricting data delivered to the state under Public Law 94-171(the population counts  with  race  and  ethnicity  data  at  the  level  of  a  census  block).  The  Census  Bureau  has announced that the redistricting data will be delivered to all states by September 30, 2021.7  The third update will be when this Court solicits from each of the parties redistricting plans the Court may consult in drawing its own plans.

As for the parties at suit, I trust that plaintiff Wattson knows state law. Given his service as general counsel to the MN Senate I'm sure he knows who are the appropriate parties. AFAIK he could have written the laws he's suing under.
The complaint is only demonstrating that the state is malapportioned, and that a remedy is possible.

I wonder if I have standing to intervene. My congressional map is better than the plaintiffs.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1331 on: March 03, 2021, 07:38:45 PM »

Here is the complaint.

Slides for Webinar (PDF)

The complaint is only demonstrating that the state is malapportioned, and that a remedy is possible.

I wonder if I have standing to intervene. My congressional map is better than the plaintiffs.

In the 2010 cycle the MN SC opened up submissions from any interested parties. This was objected to by both established parties who had previously thought they were the only ones involved in the standoff. If the 2020 MN SC follows their 2011 precedent you should be able to submit your plan. Have you measured it against their proposed metrics?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1332 on: March 04, 2021, 12:22:09 AM »

Here is the complaint.

Slides for Webinar (PDF)

In the 2010 cycle the MN SC opened up submissions from any interested parties. This was objected to by both established parties who had previously thought they were the only ones involved in the standoff. If the 2020 MN SC follows their 2011 precedent you should be able to submit your plan. Have you measured it against their proposed metrics?
My plan was based on the 2011 5-judge panel's decision at least as far out-state metro division.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1333 on: March 04, 2021, 01:02:59 PM »

The Census Bureau has a constitutional mandate to produce accurate population numbers. This constitutional mandate supersedes any statutory regulation. The law can't force the Census Bureau to produce inaccurate numbers, that would be blatantly unconstitutional.

The Congress has the constitutional mandate under the necessary and proper clause to cause an enumeration to be done in a timely manner. Whether numbers are accurate enough is a political decisions.

The Census Bureau in essence has gone rogue. Ohio has sued the proper executive branch agencies.

No.

OH has gone rogue.

They can delay redistricting by changing their constitution with bipartisan support.

Republicans there are just inflexible, lazy, obstructionist bit**es.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1334 on: March 04, 2021, 01:08:36 PM »

Some delay was definitely inevitable and rational, but a delay until freaking October is just ridicolous.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1335 on: March 04, 2021, 01:10:51 PM »

Some delay was definitely inevitable and rational, but a delay until freaking October is just ridicolous.

I highly doubt they will take that long.

Once they have the population numbers out by April 30, it won’t take another 5 months to produce redistricting data.

Maybe July will be the release date.

September 30 is just the last possible date according to the CB.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1336 on: March 04, 2021, 01:15:04 PM »

Once they have the population numbers out by April 30, it won’t take another 5 months to produce redistricting data.

A September 30 release date must be ruled out entirely.
Ohio's lawsuit places pressure on the agency to do things faster. As far as I understand it, a three month delay occurred in the process of reaching people in the census, so it only makes sense there is only a three month delay in releasing the counts.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1337 on: March 04, 2021, 01:16:54 PM »

Ohio's lawsuit places pressure on the agency to do things faster. As far as I understand it, a three month delay occurred in the process of reaching people in the census, so it only makes sense there is only a three month delay in releasing the counts.

I think they will have something ready on the population count front in just over a month.

April 30 is also a deadline, which doesn’t mean they will release it on that day.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1338 on: March 04, 2021, 01:19:35 PM »

I think they will have something ready on the population count front in just over a month.

April 30 is also a deadline, which doesn’t mean they will release it on that day.
Well, I suppose there is a world's difference in them having a population count ready by July as opposed to August or September.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1339 on: March 04, 2021, 01:28:00 PM »

Well, I suppose there is a world's difference in them having a population count ready by July as opposed to August or September.

You are mixing up release of the population count (no later than April 30) and redistricting data (no later than September 30).

Both could come earlier.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1340 on: March 05, 2021, 02:14:05 AM »

No.

OH has gone rogue.

They can delay redistricting by changing their constitution with bipartisan support.

Ohio Constitution (PDF)

Amending the Constitution requires a 3/5 vote of each house along with a referendum.

You may be channeling your inner Marie Antoinette.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1341 on: March 05, 2021, 08:31:07 AM »

No.

OH has gone rogue.

Ohio Constitution (PDF)

Amending the Constitution requires a 3/5 vote of each house along with a referendum.

60% in both houses is doable.

Then, let the people decide in a referendum. But I guess the results are out before such a referendum would be held.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1342 on: March 05, 2021, 10:35:09 AM »

No.

OH has gone rogue.

Ohio Constitution (PDF)

Then, let the people decide in a referendum. But I guess the results are out before such a referendum would be held.
So the whole thing would be a waste of time.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1343 on: March 05, 2021, 12:15:52 PM »

No.

OH has gone rogue.

Ohio Constitution (PDF)

So the whole thing would be a waste of time.

As is the lawsuit from OH.

Just wait for the results to come out.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1344 on: March 05, 2021, 09:33:09 PM »

As is the lawsuit from OH.

Just wait for the results to come out.
The federal government has until the 12th to answer the complaint. A hearing on an injunction will be on the 19th.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1345 on: March 06, 2021, 10:27:10 AM »

I’m confused when the constitution matters (OH) and when it is secondary to legislation (US)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1346 on: March 08, 2021, 09:24:17 AM »

Michigan lawsuit, although intrastate.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/05/redistricting-panel-ask-supreme-court-delay-new-maps-deadline/4597235001/?force_isolation=true

Michigan's new redistricting commission plans to ask the Michigan Supreme Court to extend the Nov. 1 deadline for completing the redrawing of the state's voting boundaries.

The 13-member Michigan Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission voted unanimously Friday to seek relief from the High Court at the recommendation of its counsel because late Census Bureau population data will make it impossible to meet the Nov. 1 deadline outlined in the state Constitution.

The request would be filed in conjunction with Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, whose office faces similar deadline conflicts because of the delay in Census Bureau data, said Julianne Pastula, general counsel for the commission.

If the commission doesn't file proactively to delay the deadline, it would open itself to actions filed by a third party on the same subject, Pastula said.

"If we don't take action, we're going to become victims basically; it's going to be dictated to us," said commission member Doug Clark. If the commission has "ownership" of the process, Clark said, “we get to draft the terms that we think are in our favor at least going to the Supreme Court.”
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1347 on: March 10, 2021, 12:07:19 AM »

I am pleased to report that we have not found any anomalies that are impossible to fix. We have fixed or are fixing every anomaly that our systems and processes have identified so far, and we will continue to look for and fix any that arise as we continue processing the data.

In fact, we completed the second phase of our data processing (validation of the Decennial Response File 2) on Feb. 24. In this phase, we removed duplicate responses that we received and addressed any anomalies which needed to be corrected. We have begun work on the third phase (Census Unedited File processing), and we will continue to look for and fix any anomalies that arise as we continue processing the data.

Finding these anomalies illustrates that our quality checks are working — ensuring we can count everyone once, only once, and in the right place.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blogs/random-samplings/2021/03/finding_anomalies.html
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1348 on: March 10, 2021, 12:30:07 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2021, 12:33:29 AM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

I am pleased to report that we have not found any anomalies that are impossible to fix. We have fixed or are fixing every anomaly that our systems and processes have identified so far, and we will continue to look for and fix any that arise as we continue processing the data.

In fact, we completed the second phase of our data processing (validation of the Decennial Response File 2) on Feb. 24. In this phase, we removed duplicate responses that we received and addressed any anomalies which needed to be corrected. We have begun work on the third phase (Census Unedited File processing), and we will continue to look for and fix any anomalies that arise as we continue processing the data.

Finding these anomalies illustrates that our quality checks are working — ensuring we can count everyone once, only once, and in the right place.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blogs/random-samplings/2021/03/finding_anomalies.html

In case anyone wants to know what the third phase involves:

3)  Census Unedited File (CUF) – Building on the DRF2, the third phase of census processing produces the Census Unedited File (CUF). This process determines the final population count for each address in the census.

-The CUF processing determines the status for every address as occupied, vacant, non-existent, or unresolved (meaning we did not get a sufficient response or resolution of the case for that address).

-For unresolved addresses, we use processing software that applies statistical methods to fill in the missing housing unit status and, if necessary, the missing household population.

-The same rigorous level of review continues for the CUF as in every other phase to ensure correct software execution and data accuracy. The CUF provides the basis for the apportionment counts we produce.

Out of curiosity, I looked up how many phases are included in data processing, and there are four of them.  With two done so far, and the third having just started, that leaves the fourth and last:

4)  Data for Apportionment – The fourth phase is final review, preparation and delivery of the apportionment data to the president. These state population counts determine how many seats each state gets in the U.S. House of Representatives. Watch this space for an upcoming blog that will provide additional information on that important and ceremonial release.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1349 on: March 10, 2021, 11:34:52 AM »

They are already 2 weeks into „Stage 3“ - production of the population estimates (unedited, unreviewed).

Based on this, I don’t think they will release the apportionment numbers on the last possible date, April 30.

I guess mid-April is still very likely.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies