Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:26:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 284 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366255 times)
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6950 on: August 11, 2020, 11:53:01 AM »

Welp, I guess today’s the day the primary campaign against VP Harris starts and I’m 100% behind whoever decides to challenge her (AOC)

nah, doubt AOC challenges her. She's gonna built rapport with the party, take Schumer's seat when he retires, and then run in 2028/2032.

Schumer's probably gonna stay in the Senate until he dies and probably has another 15 years left at the very least (he's "only" 69).  

Welp, I guess today’s the day the primary campaign against VP Harris starts and I’m 100% behind whoever decides to challenge her (AOC)

Lol. Your takeaway from 2020, when a former VP swept their left-wing opponent, is to run someone even more left against an even stronger VP?
Pathetic.

You both can complain all you want, but Kamala Harris has already been proven to be a weak Presidential candidate.

Joe Biden didn’t win because he’s a strong candidate or ran a strong campaign (we all know he didn’t in the primary), he won because a consortium in the party (black voters, old people, and moderates) saw everyone else as too risky for racist/sexist America and put beating Trump above all else.

But when it came to the issues like M4A, student debt cancellation, etc. the party voters were pretty firmly with Bernie/Warren. Bernie’s campaign was full of idiots who antagonized the rest of the party and Warren was blocked from bridging the divide by having Bernie suck up the left wing vote.

AOC has proven she can be trusted by the establishment wing with the respect she’s earned from Schumer & Pelosi and falling in line behind Biden, while retaining her lefty cred by endorsing Bernie.

With all due respect the idea that she's proven she can be trusted or earned any respect for falling in line behind Biden is a bunch of malarkey.  It's like saying someone proved they can be trusted and earned respect just because they know that 1+1=2.

Also, Democratic voters were very much not in Bernie/Warren's camp on M4A, among other issues.  There are also plenty of other issues where Bernie's policy stances hurt him quite a bit (although tbf, on some issues such as student debt and raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans/big business, Democratic voters are definitely in his corner).  In fact, Biden only won the primaries because a good 2/3 of Democratic voters instantly dropped everything and decided to unite around #AnyoneButBernie.  While much of that is because of how many of Bernie's most vocal supporters went out of their way to turn all non-Berniecrats into enemies for life, there were also very real (albeit probably not insurmountable) policy differences at play as well.

In fact, Warren's vocal support for M4A (and complete inability to defend it) single-handedly killed her campaign.  To be fair, one could argue part of that is that Buttigieg was easily the best debater and all-around most charismatic candidate to run in the 2020 primaries, so when he went after her on that issue it was a killshot rather than a catchy zinger, but even accounting for that, what really sunk Warren's campaign was the unpopularity of M4A among Democratic voters.

This is not even close to accurate. Medicare for all had support from the majority of Democratic voters. This invalidates the entire rest of your argument so there's no need for me to respond to it, but you definitely should take a closer look at how primary season went, and what Bernie and Warren's combined vote totals were on Super Tuesday in many key states compared to Biden's.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #6951 on: August 11, 2020, 11:53:08 AM »

Time to press onto real matters....

Can this thread achieve 300 pages before 7PM EST tonight? Don't disappoint me. I know we can do it
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6952 on: August 11, 2020, 11:53:13 AM »

Off topic but it's hard to say M4A killed Sanders/Warren when the majority of Democratic voters in every state they exit polled said they were in favor of it.

I agree with you and I definitely support M4A but how many of those exit polls state that M4A eliminates private insurance? It seems like a lot of people are on board with the idea of giving everyone healthcare, but not necessarily with eliminating private insurance.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #6953 on: August 11, 2020, 11:53:18 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2020, 12:00:00 PM by Monstro »

Just caught up with this thread and damn. So much predictable Harris criticism followed by the equally predictable "Seriously? I don't get the visceral hate towards her" defending. Ya'll know the venting was coming as we get closer to the announcement.

Meanwhile, I'm seeing just as much anger and outrage over Rice still being likely and not one person defending her. I just don't get the visceral hate towards her (Keeping in mind that I don't care anymore who Biden picks).

I really hope he's going with the cabinet announcement idea.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #6954 on: August 11, 2020, 11:53:39 AM »

So besides our Cult of Saturn Harris stans does anyone have any thoughts on the bookie numbers? Is it really basically down to Rice/Harris? Is Rice the more likely of the two?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6955 on: August 11, 2020, 11:53:54 AM »

Imagine thinking supporting Medicare for All is what killed Warren's campaign.

Very true,  and also ignoring polling that indicates dems do in fact want M4A.

You should read the post right above yours Tongue
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #6956 on: August 11, 2020, 11:54:00 AM »

Off topic but it's hard to say M4A killed Sanders/Warren when the majority of Democratic voters in every state they exit polled said they were in favor of it.

That’s what I was saying when I made my post. Policy-wise, Dem voters are in favor of M4A. What a majority of us weren’t in favor of was the abolishment of private insurance. Bernie and Warren were, and that hurt them. That’s what Delaney, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Biden kept hitting Warren on and it damaged her in the Fall.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #6957 on: August 11, 2020, 11:54:11 AM »

Rice is up to 41% on Election Betting Odds, Harris at 33%, Demings at 6%, and Whitmer at 4%. I have no idea why Rice is still surging, but people still seem to be going off the DNC schedule i guess.

I really don’t want Rice.

Is there anyone who does?

Good, good. George Bush Fan and Landslide Lyndon don’t want Rice? Here’s hoping for Joe’s loyal and trustworthy friend.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #6958 on: August 11, 2020, 11:54:55 AM »

It's not that big of a deal Harris is Beep,

I'd totally buy a Harris for Beep shirt.  

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6959 on: August 11, 2020, 11:54:59 AM »

So besides our Cult of Saturn Harris stans does anyone have any thoughts on the bookie numbers? Is it really basically down to Rice/Harris? Is Rice the more likely of the two?

the bookies seem to be reading a *LOT* into the DNC schedule, b/c Duckworth, Harris, and Whitmer all dropped since it came out.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #6960 on: August 11, 2020, 11:56:08 AM »

Imagine thinking supporting Medicare for All is what killed Warren's campaign.

Very true,  and also ignoring polling that indicates dems do in fact want M4A.

You should read the post right above yours Tongue

There was a whole other page of replies I hadn't read before I posted that...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6961 on: August 11, 2020, 11:56:55 AM »

That’s what I was saying when I made my post. Policy-wise, Dem voters are in favor of M4A. What a majority of us weren’t in favor of was the abolishment of private insurance. Bernie and Warren were, and that hurt them. That’s what Delaney, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Biden kept hitting Warren on and it damaged her in the Fall.

Fair enough, I thought you meant what M4A had come to mean in the context of the Democratic primaries (abolishing private health insurance) due to Bernie constantly trying to conflate universal healthcare with abolishing private health insurance.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #6962 on: August 11, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »

AAAAAHHGGHGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #6963 on: August 11, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »

Fair enough, I thought you meant what M4A had come to mean in the context of the Democratic primaries (abolishing private health insurance) due to Bernie constantly trying to conflate universal healthcare with abolishing private health insurance.

Policy-wise, the end of private insurance is and should be the end-goal. But politically I think the best way to go about that isn’t to legislate them out of existence, but to just put them out of business through having to compete with a better, government run insurance program.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #6964 on: August 11, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »

Imagine thinking a company that uses profit consideration to decide whether you get healthcare is a positive actor in the health industry. It's a shame Warren stayed in for ST and prevented Bernie from winning multiple states, or that policy could have actually been litigated for the failure it is.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6965 on: August 11, 2020, 12:00:10 PM »

BidenHarris2020

« Reply #6966 on: August 11, 2020, 12:01:07 PM »

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6967 on: August 11, 2020, 12:02:16 PM »

Man, I got three mosquito bites while I slept last night. Bad sign for Melinda Gates's VP chances.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6968 on: August 11, 2020, 12:02:28 PM »

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

Nothing new.

It's probably Harris but we'll know when it is announced.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #6969 on: August 11, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

Sounds to me as though the Biden campaign leaked the Whitmer memo to test the waters.  Consensus appears to be that Harris has been the pick all along.

And this brown girl is perfectly cool with that. 
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6970 on: August 11, 2020, 12:03:33 PM »

the bookies seem to be reading a *LOT* into the DNC schedule, b/c Duckworth, Harris, and Whitmer all dropped since it came out.

Tim Kaine was on the schedule before he was named, heck Lloyd Bentsen was on the schedule before he was named.  
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #6971 on: August 11, 2020, 12:06:28 PM »

Policy-wise, the end of private insurance is and should be the end-goal. But politically I think the best way to go about that isn’t to legislate them out of existence, but to just put them out of business through having to compete with a better, government run insurance program.

That was Gillibrand's position, I believe.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #6972 on: August 11, 2020, 12:08:55 PM »

Private health insurance is not the hill you want to die on. Nobody "likes" the policies they're forced to buy except incredibly privileged individuals on Cadillac plans. Which is, by the way, the reason Warren backed down from that policy and M4A (which is what actually killed her campaign). Her advisors figured out that some of her supporters, who were generally highly educated and wealthier than average, were on Cadillac health plans and didn't know or care about the many less fortunate victims of private insurance profiteering. So her supporters who didn't fit into that box deserted her for Bernie, whch is why he resurged after his heart attack. Luckily for Biden, Warren was still able to keep Bernie from winning ME, MN, MA, and TX, at which point most people saw the race as being over and it effectively killed every campaign except Biden's.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #6973 on: August 11, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »

David Axelrod is giving serious fading into irrelevancy vibes these days. I really doubt he knows anything other than what other media people are thinking.

Not that I doubt it's Kamala at this point, or that Whitmer was a trial balloon. But Axelrod isn't saying anything Silver wasn't tweeting about days ago.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #6974 on: August 11, 2020, 12:12:23 PM »

This is why the Public option is far superior than M4A. It achieves the same goal, but is more politically feasible and works alot better
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 284 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies