Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:25:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366254 times)
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5725 on: August 07, 2020, 02:07:54 PM »

Is there a reason nobody is talking about Duckworth? That's my favorite pick.

After the SC primary, Floyd protest, Lewis death, and his comments of "You ain't black" and "not as diverse" I think we all are expecting a Black woman VP.

It's nothing against Duckworth it just means that if she Whitmer or Warren is picked the immediate reaction is why didn't he picked a black woman. Biden would have to spend a few media cycles defending the option and would ultimately leave him announcing cabinet position 3 months before the election.

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #5726 on: August 07, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »

Except most average voters are not like us on this board. If they think Harris or Rice has a high probability of becoming a campaign liability, they can deal with 48 hours of angry activists in exchange for avoiding lasting problems.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5727 on: August 07, 2020, 02:18:16 PM »

Except most average voters are not like us on this board. If they think Harris or Rice has a high probability of becoming a campaign liability, they can deal with 48 hours of angry activists in exchange for avoiding lasting problems.

This. A black woman VP would be wonderful, as would another minority woman as VP, and as would a white woman because we've never actually had a female VP. But the whole "IT HAS TO BE A BLACK WOMAN!" thing is pure beltway consultant logic and not grounded in reality. Duckworth is just such a great choice that I feel like the only reason she won't be chosen is if Biden bows to consultant logic.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5728 on: August 07, 2020, 02:25:36 PM »

This. A black woman VP would be wonderful, as would another minority woman as VP, and as would a white woman because we've never actually had a female VP. But the whole "IT HAS TO BE A BLACK WOMAN!" thing is pure beltway consultant logic and not grounded in reality. Duckworth is just such a great choice that I feel like the only reason she won't be chosen is if Biden bows to consultant logic.

One thing people here forget is the options that Whitmer offers. If she ran in 2024, she could take a black or Hispanic male VP or do the first all-female ticket with someone like KLB if elected Gov in GA. She would have a ton of choices.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #5729 on: August 07, 2020, 02:27:04 PM »

This. Someone like Whitmer or Duckworth would be great. I don’t know where the idea that it has to be a black woman came from.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5730 on: August 07, 2020, 02:29:55 PM »

I haven’t heard from a single average black person that Biden needs to pick a black woman VP. Yknow why that is? Because no one but white people care.

For the vast majority of black voters, Biden was their top choice in the primary so they don’t need a black VP to satisfy them. For the young blacks and black men that aren’t as sold on Biden as their older relatives, picking Kamala Harris or Susan Rice isn’t gonna make us go “Yeah I haveee to vote for them now. She looks like me!”. All skin folk ain’t kin folk, despite what white liberals think we believe.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5731 on: August 07, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »

This. Someone like Whitmer or Duckworth would be great. I don’t know where the idea that it has to be a black woman came from.

Establishment types and the KHive (but I repeat myself).
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5732 on: August 07, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »

I haven’t heard from a single average black person that Biden needs to pick a black woman VP. Yknow why that is? Because no one but white people care.

For the vast majority of black voters, Biden was their top choice in the primary so they don’t need a black VP to satisfy them. For the young blacks and black men that aren’t as sold on Biden as their older relatives, picking Kamala Harris or Susan Rice isn’t gonna make us go “Yeah I haveee to vote for them now. She looks like me!”. All skin folk ain’t kin folk, despite what white liberals think we believe.

I think people here forget that Whitmer is pretty liberal on racial issues. The idea that only Warren is acceptable among whites is just typical elitism.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #5733 on: August 07, 2020, 02:35:51 PM »

My current list (from my favourite to least favourite):
1. Tammy Duckworth
2. Gretchen Whitmer
3. Val Demings
4. Kamala Harris
5. Elizabeth Warren
6. Susan Rice

I think that only these women are now in play
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5734 on: August 07, 2020, 02:50:51 PM »

Tangentially related question, has Atlas ever done a demographics survey?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5735 on: August 07, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »

I'm just saying many people I talk too especially black women would like to see a black woman on the ticket. We shouldn't take the black vote for granted based on the old trope that "We were going to show up anyway". And saying that Black people voted for Biden in primary goes back to that old white saying of "What more does the Negro want."
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5736 on: August 07, 2020, 02:59:21 PM »

Yes. Young, white, male, and disproportionately LGBT+.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5737 on: August 07, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »

Do we have a lot of gays here?

I’m one.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5738 on: August 07, 2020, 03:03:07 PM »

I’m one.

Yep, I'm one too.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5739 on: August 07, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »

From what we have seen and heard so far, Biden's VP selection process has been a failure so far.

He should have selected Demings right after the Floyd killing and he'd be in a stronger position now.

Now, with his back and forth, things are getting worse and worse - allowing the Trump team to attack Rice or whatever bad candidate he'll pick.

With Demings, he could make a play for the working class and win over some police officer families.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5740 on: August 07, 2020, 03:07:15 PM »

Biden’s commitment to pick a woman makes sense considering we’ve never had one.  The notion that she has to be black doesn’t make sense, since we’ve already had a black president. Picking a Latina would make more sense, if the choice must be made based on ethnicity.

Having said that, I still hope it’s Kamala.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5741 on: August 07, 2020, 03:07:39 PM »

I’m one.

Yep, I'm one too.

Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I jump on the first gay man I see.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5742 on: August 07, 2020, 03:10:57 PM »

I'm just saying many people I talk too especially black women would like to see a black woman on the ticket. We shouldn't take the black vote for granted based on the old trope that "We were going to show up anyway". And saying that Black people voted for Biden in primary goes back to that old white saying of "What more does the Negro want."
Black folks voted for Biden because he was supposed to be the dude to bring white people back. 🤷🏿‍♂️ I want to see a Black woman on the ticket.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5743 on: August 07, 2020, 03:11:46 PM »

I’m one.

Yep, I'm one too.

Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I jump on the first gay man I see.

Speak for yourself.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #5744 on: August 07, 2020, 03:27:51 PM »

An inside source in the TX Dem Party (an elected official serving on Biden’s campaign) has told me that Joe Biden has decided on Senator Jacky Rosen of Nevada, should she accept, as his running mate.
Really? Stop joking around. It's been clear for months now that the TX Democratic Party has been lobbying and has now been successful in selecting Heidi Heitkamp as VP. Heidi Heitkamp can put both of the Dakotas in play much like 2008 and her folksy populist charm will push Biden and Bullock over the line in Montana, along with building a new blue firewall in the sun belt.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5745 on: August 07, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »

An inside source in the TX Dem Party (an elected official serving on Biden’s campaign) has told me that Joe Biden has decided on Senator Jacky Rosen of Nevada, should she accept, as his running mate.
Really? Stop joking around. It's been clear for months now that the TX Democratic Party has been lobbying and has now been successful in selecting Heidi Heitkamp as VP. Heidi Heitkamp can put both of the Dakotas in play much like 2008 and her folksy populist charm will push Biden and Bullock over the line in Montana, along with building a new blue firewall in the sun belt.

Y'all are really sleeping on Blanche Lincoln smh...
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5746 on: August 07, 2020, 03:36:06 PM »

Y'all are really sleeping on Blanche Lincoln smh...

Mary Landrieu erasure
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5747 on: August 07, 2020, 03:36:26 PM »

For those saying that voters (black or otherwise) wouldn't be more excited for a black/woman of color VP...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/07/01/joe-biden-vp-choice-democrats-want-woman-color-ticket/5349408002/

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/14/poll-biden-black-vp-185043
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #5748 on: August 07, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »

Here is the map if Heidi is selected (yellow = Jo Jergensen)

Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5749 on: August 07, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »

Biden’s commitment to pick a woman makes sense considering we’ve never had one.  The notion that she has to be black doesn’t make sense, since we’ve already had a black president. Picking a Latina would make more sense, if the choice must be made based on ethnicity.

Having said that, I still hope it’s Kamala.

We really might get Lujan Grisham.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies