Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 04:05:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 224 225 226 [227] 228 229 230 231 232 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 364566 times)
BidenHarris2020

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5650 on: August 07, 2020, 06:07:48 AM »

All of Sen. Harris' campaign merchandise has disappeared from her store.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #5651 on: August 07, 2020, 06:15:57 AM »

All of Sen. Harris' campaign merchandise has disappeared from her store.

My stupid brain immediately went to: "she's already selling Kamala '22 merch??"
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5652 on: August 07, 2020, 06:26:50 AM »

The Trump campaign clearly wants her to be selected, based on these leaks.

Eh, pretty sure they'd rather have Warren or Rice. Way easier attacks than Harris.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5653 on: August 07, 2020, 06:46:44 AM »

According to POLITICO sources, Warren and Harris have been tapped for their own speaking slots at the convention.

They say, however, this does not take them out of the running for VP:

The news that Warren and fellow vice presidential contender Harris have already been given speaking roles at the convention, according to multiple sources, might lead to speculation that they have been crossed off of Biden’s list of running mates. But some Democrats said that it is not unusual to set aside spots for vice presidential finalists.

“Historically, we slotted everyone who was a V.P. contender into the program. Then you switch them out if they are picked,” said a person familiar with the lineup. “How deep you go is a question. There are 10 people on the Biden list. But if they are a serious contender, they would have a spot. And my understanding is that they have already been slotted.”

Harris spokeswoman Sabrina Singh said, “I have nothing to add at the moment.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/07/who-will-speak-at-dnc-392533
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5654 on: August 07, 2020, 06:53:02 AM »

I mean, doesn't every VP pick get their own speaking slot at the DNC (i.e. acceptance speech)? I'm confused as to how this is unusual or indicative of anything (especially since both would obviously be speaking regardless of his choice, even with a truncated schedule).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5655 on: August 07, 2020, 07:06:32 AM »

Seen two articles today by conservatives (Meghan McCain and S.E. Cupp) and both said they would not vote Biden with Rice on the ticket. Take it for what it is, but I think Rice does more damage than she helps. (not withstanding both those people are ridiculous anyway)

And we need Meghan McCain’s vote why?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5656 on: August 07, 2020, 07:23:36 AM »

The Trump campaign clearly wants her to be selected, based on these leaks.

Just like they wanted Biden as their opponent when they leaked that he was the one they were most afraid of.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5657 on: August 07, 2020, 07:23:59 AM »

We gotta get the pick this weekend this thread needs to be shut down lol
Pulaski

« Reply #5658 on: August 07, 2020, 07:27:57 AM »

Seen two articles today by conservatives (Meghan McCain and S.E. Cupp) and both said they would not vote Biden with Rice on the ticket. Take it for what it is, but I think Rice does more damage than she helps. (not withstanding both those people are ridiculous anyway)

And we need Meghan McCain’s vote why?

She is JOHN MCCAIN'S DAUGHTER, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHbrNz1RUVY
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5659 on: August 07, 2020, 07:36:27 AM »

I think Rice would an underwhelming pick.  She adds absolutely nothing to the ticket.  She’s not a good attack dog.  She’s not attractive to the other side or independents.  She comes with Benghazi baggage, and whether valid or not is NOT something we need to repeat again this year.  She would be less effective and less exciting than Tim Kaine.

I think Rice would ultimately doom the ticket.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5660 on: August 07, 2020, 08:02:12 AM »

Do we think Biden has already chose his running mate?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5661 on: August 07, 2020, 08:03:25 AM »

Rice will immediately shave off 3-5% from Biden's current lead.

If he picks her, we'll be looking at a 2-4% national race in two weeks.

The onslaught by the Trump campaign will be huge, tying her to Hillary/Benghazi/emails.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5662 on: August 07, 2020, 08:09:08 AM »

Rice's baggage is an unnecessary distraction at this point in the campaign.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #5663 on: August 07, 2020, 08:10:18 AM »

I think Rice would an underwhelming pick.  She adds absolutely nothing to the ticket.  She’s not a good attack dog.  She’s not attractive to the other side or independents.  She comes with Benghazi baggage, and whether valid or not is NOT something we need to repeat again this year.  She would be less effective and less exciting than Tim Kaine.

I think Rice would ultimately doom the ticket.

Exactly, she is a pick for DC wonks and nothing more. Harris also has red flags considering all these nasty comments the campaign is leaking. I am all for Biden going with his heart and picking Whitmer at this point..a competent swing state Governor who is a fresh face is easily the best electoral play. I am quite confident she is not Sarah Palin and the pandemic tested her on national stage unlike Palin who was in complete obscurity.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5664 on: August 07, 2020, 08:12:18 AM »

I’ll still vote for Biden but Rice would make me a lot less enthusiastic.

And I think it would cost him the election.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5665 on: August 07, 2020, 08:19:25 AM »

What's even worse is that Rice is an academic elitist with no connection to the working-class.

Working-class voters hate academics/elitists who tell them what to do.

But Biden needs someone who has a working-class background like Demings to win back many voters that Trump got in 2016.

All the educated people in the US will vote for Biden anyway, no need to double-down with an elitist academic VP ...
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #5666 on: August 07, 2020, 08:21:13 AM »

Do we think Biden has already chose his running mate?
I think yes
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5667 on: August 07, 2020, 08:53:46 AM »

While I would still be surprised in case Harris isn't picked, most latest signs are pointing towards Susan Rice. While I'd be disappointed over Kamala Harris not being selected since she was my initial choice 4 prez, Rice's "baggage" is overblown in opinion. I doubt she does much harm at all, especially in this national environment. Her greatest strength is foreign policy, which is also Biden's. Rice as VP would make more sense for a governor with bare experience in foreign policy and national security issues. Say if Steve Bullock was the nominee, or even Pete Buttigieg. Otherwise, Rice doesn't add anything from an electoral standpoint other than checking the "AA woman" box. Might be a different story as governing partner, she'd probably be fine on both domestic and foreign policy working with Biden, but before you worry about January 20, you first have to worry about November 3.

That said, if Rice is actually chosen, I'd be comfortable with it, though not excited (may change in one way or the other, depending on her performance in the coming weeks and months). Harris firmly remains my 1st choice, and 2nd Warren, though I have little illusion Warren will be chosen. Rice at least is much better than Bass and far more qualified than Abrams.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5668 on: August 07, 2020, 08:54:52 AM »

Rice is an untested gamble and there‘s no need for that this cycle, plus what does she even bring to the table electorally?  Duckworth, Whitmer, or even Harris are much safer (and thus, smarter) plays.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #5669 on: August 07, 2020, 09:24:33 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5670 on: August 07, 2020, 09:25:40 AM »

Rice is an untested gamble and there‘s no need for that this cycle, plus what does she even bring to the table electorally?  Duckworth, Whitmer, or even Harris are much safer (and thus, smarter) plays.

Yeah, Rice is untested which I think maybe her ultimate red flag. No electoral experience, and no experience with the gruel of a campaign. Not to mention, she excites nobody, objectively turns off more voters than most of the candidates, and her strengths are already Bidens strengths. The literal only things she has for her is that shes the closet to Biden, which I know means a lot, but you still need more than that.

Not to mention, doesn't really set up Biden's calling of wanting to elevate "the future of the democratic party" with him being the Bridge. The Bridge to... Rice?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5671 on: August 07, 2020, 09:31:48 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/07/progressives-alarmed-by-rices-vast-investments-392507

When Susan Rice was under consideration for secretary of state in 2012, she was attacked by environmentalists for holding stock in the controversial Keystone Pipeline XL deal.

Now, with the multimillionaire Rice in contention to be Joe Biden’s running mate, that investment is again drawing fire from progressives. They say her extensive past holdings in an array of industries at odds with liberal causes — particularly the Keystone investment — could make her ill-suited to be vice president in a Democratic administration.
At the time [2012], Rice’s financial disclosures showed that she and her husband — scion of a wealthy Canadian family — owned as much as $600,000 worth of stock in TransCanada, the company that owned Keystone. She held stock in TransCanada and other fossil fuel companies for the entire eight years she served in the Obama Administration.

“The financial disclosure reports reflect at worst a conflict of interest, and at best, an indifference to a perception of a conflict of interest,” said Yasmine Taeb, senior policy counsel at Demand Progress. “It's troubling to see that Susan Rice has invested in so many companies that fuel climate change and in entities at odds with Democratic values."
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #5672 on: August 07, 2020, 09:38:21 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/07/over-300-dnc-delegates-members-urge-biden-to-pick-bass-for-vp-392553

Maybe Bass is still in?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5673 on: August 07, 2020, 09:39:26 AM »

those people are delusional. how anyone could still support Bass for VP after all those opp dumps...
randomusername

« Reply #5674 on: August 07, 2020, 09:49:16 AM »

Yeah, Rice is untested which I think maybe her ultimate red flag. No electoral experience, and no experience with the gruel of a campaign. Not to mention, she excites nobody, objectively turns off more voters than most of the candidates, and her strengths are already Bidens strengths. The literal only things she has for her is that shes the closet to Biden, which I know means a lot, but you still need more than that.

Not to mention, doesn't really set up Biden's calling of wanting to elevate "the future of the democratic party" with him being the Bridge. The Bridge to... Rice?

Pretty much how I feel. If you're willing to sacrifice the "moderate" voters, might as well go with Elizabeth Warren and get some extra progressive support.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 224 225 226 [227] 228 229 230 231 232 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies