Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 11:13:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 206 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 364527 times)
BidenHarris2020

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5000 on: August 01, 2020, 11:25:54 PM »

At this point I'm expecting Joe to just announce at the convention lmao
I am..intrigued at this idea. More so , how it would work.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #5001 on: August 01, 2020, 11:44:20 PM »

Nate Silver seems to like Duckworth now. She really is a much more unifying pick for Biden in a general election than someone like Harris.
No she isnt.

She is far better for people who live outside the coasts, just has a better life story. If the Dems want to maximize the Senate, Harris is a mistake as VP.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5002 on: August 01, 2020, 11:55:44 PM »

Pick Demings, Duckworth or Harris ... and get it over with Joe !

Rice and Bass are a joke.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5003 on: August 02, 2020, 12:01:38 AM »

Nate Silver seems to like Duckworth now. She really is a much more unifying pick for Biden in a general election than someone like Harris.
No she isnt.

She is far better for people who live outside the coasts, just has a better life story. If the Dems want to maximize the Senate, Harris is a mistake as VP.
Losing one's legs does not automatically mean "a better life story"
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5004 on: August 02, 2020, 12:14:45 AM »

No she isnt.

I’m gonna bet losing ones legs in war is just a bit more compelling to average folks than getting political appointments from a guy you’re dating who’s 30 years older.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5005 on: August 02, 2020, 12:15:17 AM »

No she isnt.

No, but it does mean “a better life story” than Kamala Harris. Can you name a single thing more interesting in Harris’ background than a helicopter pilot who lost her legs in service to her country?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5006 on: August 02, 2020, 12:15:35 AM »

No she isnt.

I’m gonna bet losing ones legs in war is just a bit more compelling to average folks than getting political appointments from a guy you’re dating who’s 30 years older.

You don't have to like Kamala but stop with this misogynistic bullsh**t
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5007 on: August 02, 2020, 12:34:09 AM »

Some of the posts in this thread show exactly why sexism plays a major factor in political races. I don't recall any male candidates for VP being this scrutinized personally.

Biden doesn't need to select Duckworth to try and extract sympathy votes from people. This isn't any disrespect for Duckworth, but her management and elective experience is a lot shorter than some of the others on the list.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5008 on: August 02, 2020, 03:20:29 AM »

Hot take:

This selection is not very important at all with regards to this particular election, but very important for the future. Biden's VP is highly likely to be the 47th president of the USA.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5009 on: August 02, 2020, 04:46:00 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/510128-kamala-harris-to-young-black-women-at-conference-i-want-you-to-be-ambitious

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who is in consideration to be former Vice President Joe Biden’s running mate, appeared to respond to criticism that she was “too ambitious” on Friday while speaking to an audience of young Black women. 

"There will be a resistance to your ambition. There will be people who say to you, 'You are out of your lane,'" Harris said during a livestreamed conversation for the Black Women Lead 2020 conference, according to CNN.

"They are burdened by only having the capacity to see what has always been instead of what can be. But don't you let that burden you," she added. "I want you to be ambitious."

Sounds like an excellent message, should Biden follow through and pick Harris.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5010 on: August 02, 2020, 07:26:54 AM »

Some of the posts in this thread show exactly why sexism plays a major factor in political races. I don't recall any male candidates for VP being this scrutinized personally.

Biden doesn't need to select Duckworth to try and extract sympathy votes from people. This isn't any disrespect for Duckworth, but her management and elective experience is a lot shorter than some of the others on the list.

Duckworth has been in the Senate as long as Kamala and spent 4 years in the House before. If management experience is the biggest thing, Biden’s got a Governor in Michigan waiting for him.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5011 on: August 02, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »

Hot take:

This selection is not very important at all with regards to this particular election, but very important for the future. Biden's VP is highly likely to be the 47th president of the USA.

This isn't a hot take. This is why the nomination process has ended up very contentious. Even in the event Biden loses, his VP choice will likely inherit a leading position in the party, a la Ryan in 2012.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5012 on: August 02, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #5013 on: August 02, 2020, 09:17:51 AM »

Historical coincidences aside, that "if it isn't Harris" is a pretty sizable qualifier, no?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5014 on: August 02, 2020, 09:19:59 AM »

Historical coincidences aside, that "if it isn't Harris" is a pretty sizable qualifier, no?

Yes, that was the end of a tweet thread where Nate said essentially: if Biden is OK with Harris, it's her; if not, it's probably Duckworth.  (I think the same thing.)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #5015 on: August 02, 2020, 09:31:28 AM »

Hot take:

What kind of president would each of the potential running mates be?  My hunch is that Harris, Duckworth, maybe even Warren would all be pretty similar in their approach to the presidency to Obama.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5016 on: August 02, 2020, 09:45:24 AM »

Yes, that was the end of a tweet thread where Nate said essentially: if Biden is OK with Harris, it's her; if not, it's probably Duckworth.  (I think the same thing.)

It isn't clear but I could see a Harris---> Duckworth----> Whitmer type of line with this type of thinking by Silver.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5017 on: August 02, 2020, 09:52:16 AM »

Duckworth greatest strength was always the fact that (unless vetting found something we don't know) she is the embodiment of the do-no-harm principle. While there might be a stronger case for some of the other short-listers of why Biden should pick them, there is no strong case of why he shouldn't pick Duckworth.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5018 on: August 02, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »

Duckworth greatest strength was always the fact that (unless vetting found something we don't know) she is the embodiment of the do-no-harm principle. While there might be a stronger case for some of the other short-listers of why Biden should pick them, there is no strong case of why he shouldn't pick Duckworth.

I'd say Harris AND Duckworth are apparently do no harm though. People like to make a lot about Harris's record but a lot of is conjecture and misinformation. Not to mention, there would be leaks about anything that we didn't already know and there hasn't been, so much of Harris's "issues" have also been litigated in the public already.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5019 on: August 02, 2020, 10:49:16 AM »

Bass was on Fox News Sunday this morning, and talked about being ready to be veep, and also addressed differences between her and Biden over health reform:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-vp-hopeful-bass-regrets-past-castro-comment

“I think anybody that is willing to become vice president, if they’re invited, should be ready and I think that I am,” Bass said.

Bass has a different position on health care from Biden. She is in favor of "Medicare-for-all," while Biden supports having a public option without doing away with private insurance. Bass denied saying that Biden has the wrong idea, while still maintaining that the country should move toward having health care as a right for all.

“No, I don’t think that the vice president is wrong at all,” Bass said. “What I do believe in is that health care should be a right. I think that we should be like the rest of the industrial nations and provide health care. But what I believe specifically is that we need to repair the damage that was done and has been done over the last ten years to the Affordable Care Act. We need to repair the damage, we need to expand that, and then over time we need to figure as a nation, how do we make health care as a right for everyone.”
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #5020 on: August 02, 2020, 11:03:24 AM »

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5021 on: August 02, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »

If you don't think it will be Kamala, it really is a pick em'. I'd argue Duckworth, Whitmer could be the best buys if you think he wants someone with statewide experience.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/5883/Who-will-win-the-2020-Democratic-vice-presidential-nomination
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5022 on: August 02, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »

If you don't think it will be Kamala, it really is a pick em'. I'd argue Duckworth, Whitmer could be the best buys if you think he wants someone with statewide experience.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/5883/Who-will-win-the-2020-Democratic-vice-presidential-nomination

The only statewide experience Duckworth has is the appointed position of Director of the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #5023 on: August 02, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »

The only statewide experience Duckworth has is the appointed position of Director of the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs.

She's literally a US Senator.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5024 on: August 02, 2020, 11:35:27 AM »

Could just be some short term market manipulation, but the August 2-8 announcement bracket on the PredictIt VP market is spiking, up 23 cents just now, currently at 43%.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 206 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies