Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:38:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366310 times)
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4425 on: July 28, 2020, 04:53:16 PM »

Someone mentioned this and I didn't believe it but uhhhhhhhhh big ups Politico?

Wow, political prognostication is getting really, really good these days. (Or, more likely, someone hacked the page in an attempt to drive her shares up on PredictIt.)

It’s possible Politico has 5 or 6 of these ready to go and just hit the wrong button.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4426 on: July 28, 2020, 04:54:00 PM »

Too bad it's Gillibrand who's getting the job, though.

Don't know if you are joking but why would she abandon her safe senate seat to serve for 2-4 years as cabinet member?

Sadly, I am joking.  But SoS is a much more prestigious and powerful job than being one of a hundred Senators.  Plus, I think she'd be really good at it and it could set her up to be Kamala's running mate in 2024.  But there's no indication Gillibrand will be part of Biden's administration.

It shouldn't be discussed in this thread, but Joe Biden has plently of able Secretary of State picks, that are competent and wouldn't leave the senate, even if a safe seat. Be it Samantha Power, Tony Blinken or even James Stavridis would make all make sense. Heck, Jon Huntsman would be an interesting choice as well.

To respond while keeping this on the veep topic, I think choosing a running mate (or appointing a cabinet member) who opens up a Senate seat would be a feature, not a bug.  One of the big problems with politics in massive, solid Democratic states like California, New York, and Illinois is that dozens if not hundreds of talented Dem politicians quickly run out of room for advancement or promotion.  I say open things up and move Harris, Gillibrand, and/or Duckworth to the Executive branch.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4427 on: July 28, 2020, 04:54:17 PM »

My guess is that they have prewritten articles ready to go for all the finalists so they can release it the moment he announces.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4428 on: July 28, 2020, 04:55:00 PM »

Why would you have *two* big Obama admin officials on the ticket?

Because Obama is incredibly popular?

Of course he is. But there's still plenty of moderates, independents, and even Democrats who don't necessarily won a complete Obama pt. 2 administration. People like that Joe and Obama were close, but that's enough. Rice is just unnecessary at that point and overkill in that department.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #4429 on: July 28, 2020, 04:56:04 PM »

Of course he is. But there's still plenty of moderates, independents, and even Democrats who don't necessarily won a complete Obama pt. 2 administration. People like that Joe and Obama were close, but that's enough. Rice is just unnecessary at that point and overkill in that department.

Rice would be an absolute disaster. Palin 2.0
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #4430 on: July 28, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »

Politico are either geniuses that are making big bucks in the PredictIt VP market with their own self-created pumps (the Rice article yesterday and now this) or they’re just morons. I’m inclined to believe the latter...
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4431 on: July 28, 2020, 04:58:44 PM »

Politico are either geniuses that are making big bucks in the PredictIt VP market with their own self-created pumps (the Rice article yesterday and now this) or they’re just morons. I’m inclined to believe the latter...

Yeah. If these 2 aren’t picked, the payout for one of the others is really tremendous.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4432 on: July 28, 2020, 04:59:33 PM »

Someone's in trouble..
This was probably one of a few prewritten posts. The "quote" from Biden is odd, though.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4433 on: July 28, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »

Rice would be an absolute disaster. Palin 2.0

Lmao, this comparison is ridiculous. Rice is an accomplished public servant with foreign policy credentials. Palin summarized her foreign policy experience in the famous phrase "I can see Russia from my house".

Palin was chosen to appease a certain faction within the Republican Party, regardless of her low credentials for the job and her disdain for the section of the party John McCain represented. Rice would be a true governing partner rather than an appeasement for a faction within the party. Liz could be seen as such, but unlike Palin, Warren is a smart woman and would be fully qualified to serve.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4434 on: July 28, 2020, 05:03:43 PM »

Yeah I’m sure Politico and a lot of other media outlets have pre-written articles for each VP candidate. It’s weird that one has a quote from a Biden speech that never happened though.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4435 on: July 28, 2020, 05:03:58 PM »

I would literally take ANY OTHER VP pick besides Susan Rice. Rice would be a horrible, atrocious and stupid choice.

Don't do it, Joe. Please!
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #4436 on: July 28, 2020, 05:05:00 PM »

Hot take: the VP pick will have a negligible influence on the election.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #4437 on: July 28, 2020, 05:07:38 PM »

Yeah I’m sure Politico and a lot of other media outlets have pre-written articles for each VP candidate. It’s weird that one has a quote from a Biden speech that never happened though.
Yeah and not only that but it doesn’t feel like something he would say. It feels like fanfic. But what are the odds They got their hands on his actual speech? It couldn’t be right? Why wouldn’t other outlets be leaking it, and why wouldn’t they announce it already? I got a think the decision has it been made
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4438 on: July 28, 2020, 05:07:40 PM »

But an incredibly profound influence on American politics for the next twelve to sixteen years.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4439 on: July 28, 2020, 05:11:14 PM »

I would literally take ANY OTHER VP pick besides Susan Rice. Rice would be a horrible, atrocious and stupid choice.

Don't do it, Joe. Please!

Word for word for Kamala Harris. Please, Joe!
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4440 on: July 28, 2020, 05:16:28 PM »

That is what stuck out to me. Hmm
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4441 on: July 28, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »

This sounds like something a ticket with Warren on it would have.
Or any competent, non corrupt ticket running against Donald Trump.
Well that rules out "quid pro quo" Harris.
What?
What?
I just haven't heard her called that before. Could you offer some context?

Harris' corruption is well known.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/01/25/dem-senator-received-donations-before-and-after-failing-to-prosecute-trump-nominees-bank/

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/03/treasury-nominee-steve-mnuchins-bank-accused-of-widespread-misconduct-in-leaked-memo/

https://populardemocracy.org/news-and-publications/kamala-harris-fails-explain-why-she-didn-t-prosecute-steven-mnuchin-s-bank

- Took Donations from Mnuchin
- Was the Only Democratic Senator to Do So
- Not One Donation, but Four Donations between him and OneWest
- Not Small Donations, but Total Around $14,000
- Failed to Prosecute OneWest for Illegal Evictions and Bank Fraud
- Went Against Reccomendation of Her Own Staff To Protect OneWest
- This Occured at the Same Time as Donations
- Flip Flopped Once She Got National Ambitions

Again, keep that Rose Twitter sh**t away from here.

Someone: Brings up why mpeople have reservations about Harris

Usual sjspects: RoSE TwiTTeR ErmAHGerD!
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4442 on: July 28, 2020, 05:23:19 PM »

It's just a placeholder quote that would be replaced with the actual positive thing he ends up saying about her during the announcement speech.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #4443 on: July 28, 2020, 05:29:28 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2020, 05:42:22 PM by LeBron »

Yeah. If these 2 aren’t picked, the payout for one of the others is really tremendous.

Oh, I wasn’t referring to the other VP candidates. I was just saying the possibility that Politico may have had ulterior motives with their Rice article/their Harris “announcement” (i.e. jumping in on the Harris or Rice swings today) but more than likely this was just an accident on their part.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4444 on: July 28, 2020, 05:31:04 PM »

Biden is going to run one term or die (pointing out his mortality is just a fact). Whoever the VP is will inherit the Democratic Party. That's why Rice (who has shown no fundraising prowess or campaigning chops) or one of these midwestern bland women with no receipts in communities of color are a no-go.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #4445 on: July 28, 2020, 05:31:40 PM »

Do you think they got access to his speech? I have to assume they write rest for everybody, but I could be wrong
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4446 on: July 28, 2020, 05:38:48 PM »

Do you think they got access to his speech? I have to assume they write rest for everybody, but I could be wrong

Even if Harris is the pick, I doubt a speech is written yet for an announcement 5 or so+ days out. If there's a speech, it'll go through revisions until the day of.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4447 on: July 28, 2020, 05:40:44 PM »

Biden is going to run one term or die (pointing out his mortality is just a fact). Whoever the VP is will inherit the Democratic Party. That's why Rice (who has shown no fundraising prowess or campaigning chops) or one of these midwestern bland women with no receipts in communities of color are a no-go.
Louder for those in the back!
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #4448 on: July 28, 2020, 05:42:36 PM »

Even if Harris is the pick, I doubt a speech is written yet for an announcement 5 or so+ days out. If there's a speech, it'll go through revisions until the day of.
So even if she is the pick, this whole thing is probably just a coincidence?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #4449 on: July 28, 2020, 05:51:55 PM »

Louder for those in the back!

I don’t think many of us actually want his VP to take over the party. We’ve been screwed out of really competitive primaries in the last 2 open seat primaries and this one, which has kept the Democratic Party from really being able to decide a new path.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies