Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362827 times)
DisneyDem
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3800 on: July 17, 2020, 07:23:48 PM »

I love Warren and strongly dislike Harris, but if I’m being honest, I kind of think taking either one of them runs the risk of overshadowing Joe. Thinking with my head instead of my heart they should be a three person Battle between rice, Duckworth, and bass. All three are acceptable to Lincoln project types, but have no obvious baggage with the left wing. All three unquestionably confident and ready to step in to the presidency but at the same time it still keeps the race about a binary choice between Trump and Joe.
Duckworth is the only one you listed who is viable to me. She has a wonderful personal story and is inoffensive. Didn’t Bass say she’s not interested inheriting the party in a post on the last few pages? Rice has never faced the rigors of a campaign. Biden has been in national politics for 50 years and was VP. We don’t need her on the ticket for “foreign policy”.

Sorry to disagree with you again because despite our big difference on Harris I actually really respect you, but I disagree with both of your Points. Bass did say that, but as Jim Clybourn pointed out, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. My own take on it is when I had Democrats ever done well by anointing someone in advance? I think of Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, even Mario Cuomo is botched attempt. They all look kind of similar to this. And as I stated before, Rice is not there to balance the ticket. She is there to double down on the message of experience. It’s like Al Gore in 1992
Experience? What experience does Rice have that outweighs Biden's or Harris's?

Susan Rice has NEVER held political office. Also, Biden doesn't need any foreign policy help.
I meant experience in national Government/foreign policy.. also, for the 400th time, I know he doesn’t need any foreign policy Help! That’s the whole point! I am recommending
 picking another version of himself as opposed to balancing the ticket. Has nobody studied the 1992 selection? If you think A traditional ticket balance is what‘s needed, fine. But let’s not pretend like the most recent defeat of an incumbent president wasn’t by someone who decided against that in favor of a Trois that mirrored his own Skills  in order to articulate a clear Message
[/quote]
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3801 on: July 17, 2020, 07:52:33 PM »

Our base doesn’t care about foreign policy like that. College educated suburban white women are not voting on foreign policy. Rice isn’t necessary at all.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3802 on: July 17, 2020, 07:56:11 PM »

I love Warren and strongly dislike Harris, but if I’m being honest, I kind of think taking either one of them runs the risk of overshadowing Joe. Thinking with my head instead of my heart they should be a three person Battle between rice, Duckworth, and bass. All three are acceptable to Lincoln project types, but have no obvious baggage with the left wing. All three unquestionably confident and ready to step in to the presidency but at the same time it still keeps the race about a binary choice between Trump and Joe.
Duckworth is the only one you listed who is viable to me. She has a wonderful personal story and is inoffensive. Didn’t Bass say she’s not interested inheriting the party in a post on the last few pages? Rice has never faced the rigors of a campaign. Biden has been in national politics for 50 years and was VP. We don’t need her on the ticket for “foreign policy”.

Sorry to disagree with you again because despite our big difference on Harris I actually really respect you, but I disagree with both of your Points. Bass did say that, but as Jim Clybourn pointed out, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. My own take on it is when I had Democrats ever done well by anointing someone in advance? I think of Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, even Mario Cuomo is botched attempt. They all look kind of similar to this. And as I stated before, Rice is not there to balance the ticket. She is there to double down on the message of experience. It’s like Al Gore in 1992

Susan Rice has NEVER held political office. Also, Biden doesn't need any foreign policy help.
I meant experience in national Government/foreign policy.. also, for the 400th time, I know he doesn’t need any foreign policy Help! That’s the whole point! I am recommending
 picking another version of himself as opposed to balancing the ticket. Has nobody studied the 1992 selection? If you think A traditional ticket balance is what‘s needed, fine. But let’s not pretend like the most recent defeat of an incumbent president wasn’t by someone who decided against that in favor of a Trois that mirrored his own Skills  in order to articulate a clear Message

[/quote]

I cannot believe this needs to be said for the billionth time . . .

IT. IS. NOT. THE 90s. ANYMORE.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3803 on: July 17, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »

Susan Rice would be huge gift to the right. She is easy to smear. If you look closely she has lot of baggage. On top of that she has never held elected office.

Honestly I don't see it. What's the baggage? Her son? Any of these women will be fine as VP. They're not gonna make it break the Biden campaign. None of these candidates are Sarah Palin.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3804 on: July 17, 2020, 09:09:20 PM »

Putting Aside the specifics of al gore, I think a ticket centered solely on Experience in executive branch should not be discounted in the wake of An unparalleled global crisis
[/quote]
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3805 on: July 18, 2020, 12:49:14 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/07/joe-bidens-vice-president-powerful-history/614161/

Good article in The Atlantic on how the role of VP has changed over the course of various presidencies, the significant influence the woman whom Biden selects will have, & the unique pressures she'll face.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3806 on: July 18, 2020, 03:38:21 PM »

Putting Aside the specifics of al gore, I think a ticket centered solely on Experience in executive branch should not be discounted in the wake of An unparalleled global crisis
[/quote]
The [/quote] in there is messing everything up lol
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3807 on: July 18, 2020, 05:32:07 PM »

Its Michelle Lujan Grisham. Biden wanted Warren, but since George Floyd Protests,  Grisham is the compromise candidate, since CCM wants to stay in Senate.  Harris on interviews on MSNBC keeps on avoiding the question of Veep. It's not Demings, due to fact Biden wants a Senator or Gov
 Grisham isnt reluctant to leave NM is Covid 19 and it wont endanger the Senate majority. GRISHAM is Latina, and it reaffirm the blue wall, Grisham will be picked. 80 percent Warren, 10 percent Harris, Demings and Warren at 5 percent 😍😍😍

On 8/1 Michelle Lujan GRISHAM will be unveiled as the Veep nominee .

Janet Napolitano,  another Latina served in Obama administration already as well as served with Veep Biden
With you in spirit
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3808 on: July 18, 2020, 06:40:01 PM »

Gold. You’ve done it again.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #3809 on: July 18, 2020, 08:07:59 PM »

Picking Warren means risking a loss in 2024. Vice President Warren would be hard to beat in a primary, but unusually risky in the general. Her poll numbers were noticeably worse in match ups with Trump than every other frontrunner with similar percent name ID. This comes from a huge fan of her personally.

She'd also be a President facing a Republican Senate most likely (though hopefully we'll add 3 or 4 new states in 2021), so it'd be this huge gambit just to have all progressive legislation dead on arrival. She wouldn't be powerless, just less likely to ever come to power.

If you get someone in there in 2024 like Pompeo or Rick Scott, I worry the culture Trump's created around the Presidency won't feel normal yet, and they'll behave with equal corruption but much more effectively. And Supreme Court seats as always.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #3810 on: July 19, 2020, 12:42:05 AM »

Picking Warren means risking a loss in 2024. Vice President Warren would be hard to beat in a primary, but unusually risky in the general. Her poll numbers were noticeably worse in match ups with Trump than every other frontrunner with similar percent name ID. This comes from a huge fan of her personally.

She'd also be a President facing a Republican Senate most likely (though hopefully we'll add 3 or 4 new states in 2021), so it'd be this huge gambit just to have all progressive legislation dead on arrival. She wouldn't be powerless, just less likely to ever come to power.

If you get someone in there in 2024 like Pompeo or Rick Scott, I worry the culture Trump's created around the Presidency won't feel normal yet, and they'll behave with equal corruption but much more effectively. And Supreme Court seats as always.

She's less likely to run in 2024 than any of the other candidates. And given the map imbalance from 2016, 2022's map is pretty favorable for Democrats. 2024 is already around 50/50. If Democrats get a majority on 2020 they're likely going to hold it until 2026.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3811 on: July 19, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »

She's less likely to run in 2024 than any of the other candidates. And given the map imbalance from 2016, 2022's map is pretty favorable for Democrats. 2024 is already around 50/50. If Democrats get a majority on 2020 they're likely going to hold it until 2026.

I disagree that she’s least likely to run. In fact, I would go so far as to say she is most likely to run in 2024 no matter what.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3812 on: July 19, 2020, 02:03:18 PM »

I disagree that she’s least likely to run. In fact, I would go so far as to say she is most likely to run in 2024 no matter what.

Yeah, Warren Democrats wouldn't be a thing if she wasn't already planning on running.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #3813 on: July 19, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »

If "we shouldn't nominate X because Republicans will control the House or Senate" is the argument, we might as well never nominate a candidate again ever.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #3814 on: July 19, 2020, 02:24:42 PM »

Yeah, Warren Democrats wouldn't be a thing if she wasn't already planning on running.

I agree on both counts. Barring Biden running for a second term, I expect Warren will give it another go in 2024. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3815 on: July 20, 2020, 06:42:55 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2020, 12:03:55 PM by Senator YE »

Harris must really think she's got this. Just watch this and then read the comments. Really looks like she's had a lot of superficial (i.e. dermabrasion/skin bleaching/Botox) and structural (lift) work done over the past 2 weeks (either that or somebody at MSNBC really snatched up her makeup like she was a suburban momn). Everything on her face save for her nose is in a different place now.

On the other hand, maybe MSNBC just did her dirty in their web cut? The one posted to her channel looks a lot different/more "normal" (though noticing here that the bulk of her "upsnatched" look really appeared in the first 30 seconds of the MSNBC highlight, which the exact portion cut out of the Harris-uploaded version). And it's not just overexposure/saturation/resolution in the Al tweeted vid: even looking at the same second of clip across each vid almost looks like two separate videos.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3816 on: July 20, 2020, 08:12:32 AM »

She literally looks completely normal on the 2nd one. Also, the first one was shot from someone filming their TV which can distort it (esp with lighting), and the 2nd was a direct upload.

The fact that this is even a thing just goes to show the insane level of misogyny any of these women is going to face.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3817 on: July 20, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »

In this article, Willie Brown says that the word on the street is the Biden campaign has narrowed the list down to:

Whitmer
Harris
Bass
Rice
Duckworth

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/williesworld/article/Willie-Brown-It-s-not-in-the-bag-for-Joe-15416772.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Take this with a grain of salt, of course. We’ve heard many different times that the list had narrowed down, sometimes to three or two, but the one name that seems to always come up is Harris.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3818 on: July 20, 2020, 10:07:39 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2020, 12:04:38 PM by Senator YE »

Harris must really think she's got this. Just watch this and then read the comments. Really looks like she's had a lot of superficial (i.e. dermabrasion/skin bleaching/Botox) and structural (lift) work done over the past 2 weeks (either that or somebody at MSNBC really snatched up her makeup like she was a suburban mom). Everything on her face save for her nose is in a different place now.

On the other hand, maybe MSNBC just did her dirty in their web cut? The one posted to her channel looks a lot different/more "normal" (though noticing here that the bulk of her "upsnatched" look really appeared in the first 30 seconds of the MSNBC highlight, which the exact portion cut out of the Harris-uploaded version). And it's not just overexposure/saturation/resolution in the Al tweeted vid: even looking at the same second of clip across each vid almost looks like two separate videos.

Did you just accuse a black woman of bleaching her skin? 😐
With you in spirit
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3819 on: July 20, 2020, 10:32:01 AM »

In this article, Willie Brown says that the word on the street is the Biden campaign has narrowed the list down to:

Whitmer
Harris
Bass
Rice
Duckworth

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/williesworld/article/Willie-Brown-It-s-not-in-the-bag-for-Joe-15416772.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Take this with a grain of salt, of course. We’ve heard many different times that the list had narrowed down, sometimes to three or two, but the one name that seems to always come up is Harris.

No way Warren isn't at least on the short list. I don't think she'll be the pick (RIP) but to say Whitmer is more likely than Warren is just...silly.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3820 on: July 20, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »

Data for Progress: Warren, Harris Top Poll of Battleground Independents for Biden VP & Independent voters cite handling of economy as top issue to guide Biden VP choice; Rank Elizabeth Warren Most Effective on Economy by More Than 3-to-1
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3821 on: July 20, 2020, 12:48:44 PM »

Whitmer
Harris
Bass
Rice
Duckworth

Is Whitmer still being considered?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3822 on: July 20, 2020, 12:52:06 PM »

He's been using Warren's campaign slogans again. If it turns out she wasn't even on the shortlist, I'm going to be so angry.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3823 on: July 20, 2020, 01:39:28 PM »

According to that poll, Harris’ support comes overwhelmingly from the affluent, those making $150,000+. Warren’s support is more working class and poor. Adds credence to the whole “latte liberal base” that Harris has.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3824 on: July 20, 2020, 01:41:56 PM »

According to that poll, Harris’ support comes overwhelmingly from the affluent, those making $150,000+. Warren’s support is more working class and poor. Adds credence to the whole “latte liberal base” that Harris has.

Warren from her primary election results really has a similar base to Harris among well-educated, already committed Democrats.

I expect Biden will not pick either of them and surprises media people with a Duckworth or Demings selection. Whitmer isn't getting press but then again, it's mainly political junkies and media that says Biden needs a woman of color. Mainstream voters don't really care and she fits the bill as a strong leader.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies