Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:38:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366461 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3300 on: July 03, 2020, 06:04:34 PM »

Nope, you know exactly what I'm talking about. She took a pretty big swing at him and Trump can use it in ads.

But nobody ended up really caring about that swing on substance. Are you trying to tell me that Trump is suddenly going to champion forced busing and that it will appeal to undecided voters?
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3301 on: July 03, 2020, 06:37:22 PM »

What does everyone think of Baldwin?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3302 on: July 03, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »

David Pakman has endorsed Warren for VP.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3303 on: July 03, 2020, 06:52:56 PM »

She'd be S tier in a vacuum but the Senate is a major risk. She becomes a significantly stronger choice if she's prepared to step down in time for a special election there in November, as the home state boost she'd deliver in WI could actually help with that.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3304 on: July 03, 2020, 10:29:17 PM »

FF. A scary pick.
gf20202
« Reply #3305 on: July 04, 2020, 12:21:30 AM »

I like Susan Rice and think she passes the Ready to Be President on Day 1 Test easily.  She hasn't run for office, but she's clearly very articulate and capable.
I just think not having to run and engage in domestic politics has made her rougher around the edges than almost any one in the contention. She agreed to mandatory conscription randomly in an interview with Michael Smerconish for instance. Just too much intellectualism, not enough care for presenting ideas.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #3306 on: July 04, 2020, 03:31:53 AM »

Call me a concern troll all you want, but I have a bad feeling about whoever Biden's running mate is going to be. They'll instantly become a lightning rod for the Trump campaign, and it'll work. Their attacks against her will stick, far better than they do against Teflon Joe, of that I am certain. Very soon, Trump won't be running against Biden - he'll be running against Harris. Or Warren. Or some other woman. And it could, potentially, galvanize his supporters in a really nasty way.

There's very little Biden can do to mitigate that, however. He's been running an incredible one-person campaign so far. There's a huge amount of risk to be expected when the other half of the ticket is finally revealed. And who knows how it'll all shake out in the end.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3307 on: July 04, 2020, 07:17:40 AM »

Call me a concern troll all you want, but I have a bad feeling about whoever Biden's running mate is going to be. They'll instantly become a lightning rod for the Trump campaign, and it'll work. Their attacks against her will stick, far better than they do against Teflon Joe, of that I am certain. Very soon, Trump won't be running against Biden - he'll be running against Harris. Or Warren. Or some other woman. And it could, potentially, galvanize his supporters in a really nasty way.

There's very little Biden can do to mitigate that, however. He's been running an incredible one-person campaign so far. There's a huge amount of risk to be expected when the other half of the ticket is finally revealed. And who knows how it'll all shake out in the end.

I'm sure on some level they know this, which is why the VP is going to be announced in August, when early votes are starting to get mailed out in certain states. The longer it could be potentially just Biden, the better.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3308 on: July 04, 2020, 09:08:44 AM »

Exactly, but I think they would stick much less to Duckworth or Demings than Harvard/San Francisco Kamala and Warren.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3309 on: July 04, 2020, 10:30:35 AM »

Exactly, but I think they would stick much less to Duckworth or Demings than Harvard/San Francisco Kamala and Warren.
Can you stop? Nobody cares about this.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3310 on: July 04, 2020, 10:41:27 AM »

You think no one does. But it could be the difference between a 5% victory and not winning Senate and 12% with 53 Senators. The bottom line is that wing of the party is really unpopular outside of a half dozen cities and university towns.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3311 on: July 04, 2020, 10:50:27 AM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/07/03/joe-biden-choose-war-hero-tammy-duckworth-vice-president-column/5350685002/

Former Bay Area Congressman Mike Honda endorses Duckworth.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3312 on: July 04, 2020, 11:37:39 AM »

You think no one does. But it could be the difference between a 5% victory and not winning Senate and 12% with 53 Senators. The bottom line is that wing of the party is really unpopular outside of a half dozen cities and university towns.
No, nothing you said makes any sense.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3313 on: July 04, 2020, 12:10:13 PM »

The wing of the party that likes Harris and Warren sees everything in the lens of upper-middle class politics. Gender and identity matter more than protecting entitlements/universal benefits. Swing voters absolutely notice the difference.

Notice I am referring to supporters of these candidates, not the candidates themselves. I have no doubt Warren herself is as committed as anyone here. But in terms of affecting the public discussion, I just think Duckworth would have much more upside than  the candidates resoundingly rejected in the primary. And lets be honest, Harris 2020 started in a way better position than Biden 2008. No one in their right mind thought Biden was going to be nominee ahead of Clinton, Obama or Edwards. Harris was ranked #1 by many and completely flopped.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3314 on: July 04, 2020, 12:14:36 PM »

The wing of the party that likes Harris and Warren sees everything in the lens of upper-middle class politics. Gender and identity matter more than protecting entitlements/universal benefits. Swing voters absolutely notice the difference.

Notice I am referring to supporters of these candidates, not the candidates themselves. I have no doubt Warren herself is as committed as anyone here. But in terms of affecting the public discussion, I just think Duckworth would have much more upside than  the candidates resoundingly rejected in the primary. And lets be honest, Harris 2020 started in a way better position than Biden 2008. No one in their right mind thought Biden was going to be nominee ahead of Clinton, Obama or Edwards. Harris was ranked #1 by many and completely flopped.

How a 2020 presidential campaign went has nothing to do with any of this, though. There are a multitude of reasons why Harris didn't connect, and not all of them were b/c of the candidate herself.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3315 on: July 04, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/29/us/politics/kamala-harris-2020.html

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/12/the-self-sabotaging-of-kamala-harris

This isn't on the candidate? I am sorry but at this level of government you need the leadership skills and if you lack them as Kamala did, it's no ones fault but her own. She made the hiring decisions, she had the right to overrule her advisors on her message and strategy and didn't.

If you think the Biden vetting team won't be thinking about this, you're out of your mind.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3316 on: July 04, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »

This isn't on the candidate? I am sorry but at this level of government you need the leadership skills and if you lack them as Kamala did, it's no ones fault but her own. She made the hiring decisions, she had the right to overrule her advisors on her message and strategy and didn't.

If you think the Biden vetting team won't be thinking about this, you're out of your mind.

You have a weird obsession with her.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3317 on: July 04, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »

I LITERALLY said "not ALL of them". Yes, were some issues on her and her team? Absolutely. You're putting words in my mouth. But there were ALSO other things at play with the different wings of the party, and especially many voters who were afraid to nominate a woman, especially a black woman, given 2016.

And again, not sure what a presidential campaign has to do with how she would handle VP. You sound like you're just vehemently anti-Harris and just trying to come with any reason you can to say she shouldn't get it.

This thread is constantly littered with bad faith arguments.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3318 on: July 04, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »

Can we have this discussion elsewhere? This thread is supposed to be for news and I feel like the last several pages of this thread is just arguing about the merits of different candidates ad nauseam.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3319 on: July 04, 2020, 01:33:19 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2020, 01:40:06 PM by Oryxslayer »

Can we have this discussion elsewhere? This thread is supposed to be for news and I feel like the last several pages of this thread is just arguing about the merits of different candidates ad nauseam.

There are also merits in containing all VP discussion, their merits, their drawbacks, and their news, to this thread.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3320 on: July 04, 2020, 02:49:46 PM »

So I have a question what are the drawbacks for Duckworth? That she isn't the right color for a person of color? Anything else?
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3321 on: July 04, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »

So I have a question what are the drawbacks for Duckworth? That she isn't the right color for a person of color? Anything else?

Apparently that she is not well known or a gifted orator.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3322 on: July 04, 2020, 03:29:17 PM »

There are also merits in containing all VP discussion, their merits, their drawbacks, and their news, to this thread.

I wish we wouldn't though.  I created a "Biden VP news megathread" (which subsequently got merged into earlier threads, which is why I'm not the OP Tongue ) for the purpose of aggregating news about the VP selection.  Was hoping that the news about the search wouldn't get drowned out by page after page of discussion about people's own VP preferences.  As it is now, this thread is very active, but the news items tend to get buried.  Would prefer if the debate about who it should be was elsewhere.  That was the model used four years ago, when we had a "VP news thread" and a separate "VP discussion thread", or something like that.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3323 on: July 04, 2020, 04:29:13 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2020, 10:36:06 PM by Monstro »

Apparently that she is not well known or a gifted orator.

I'd imagine the "not well known" concern can be solved by becoming a running mate to the current apparent frontrunner
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3324 on: July 04, 2020, 07:13:15 PM »

You have a weird obsession with her.

That seems like an unfair characterization.  She is a leading candidate to be VP, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies