Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:57:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366412 times)
politics_king
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3025 on: June 25, 2020, 12:39:54 AM »

I honestly had no idea about Karen Bass until recently and I really like what I see. As a VP, I'm confident (I'm really confident in almost anyone other than Trump/Pence now) in her. I also think she'll get a cabinet spot, her work could be used as Secretary of HUD or Secretary of the SBA. I've grown more confident in Biden reading the moment, though he's had a couple gaffes which we have to live with. I just tell people, anyone who is in consideration for VP should really check out any TV interviews and virtual fundraisers they do as surrogates because those are really the auditions for them since they can't truly campaign out in the country.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3026 on: June 25, 2020, 12:42:06 AM »

Let's be honest here. Would it really be smart to have a VP with the most mocked and hated first name in America?
Flo 2.0
Soje
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3027 on: June 25, 2020, 01:08:21 AM »

Let's be honest here. Would it really be smart to have a VP with the most mocked and hated first name in America?

Yeah, babes!

But to go to the discussion, I want to point out that I think there will be a bit of activist anger (not sure if that's the right word? fatigue?) if Biden chooses someone who isn't black (@Duckworth and @Warren) because of the unique circumstances and timing of the pick! So once again it really seems to be between Harris/Demings/Lance Bottoms in order for him to not alienate lots of base voters imo
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3028 on: June 25, 2020, 02:08:11 AM »

I think that Biden will in the end pick Harris. I'd prefer Demings but I do believe that Harris qualified. It seems that the Biden team wants to pick a woman of color who has enough experience to be President on Day 1. It seems that Harris is the best choice for him at this point.

Yup, I would be surprised if Harris isn't picked. Demings would be kind of interesting, but she has not that much experience. Same with KLB or Abrams. Bass is an unknown quantity on the national stage while Warren is only checking the "female" and "progressive" box.

My feeling is Biden would actually like to pick Susan Rice because she's the ultimate definition of "sympatico", but there are just factors that speak for Harris besides checking all boxes: Experience, proven on national stage and from a safe state that has many Dem donors. Rice on contrary has never run a campaign and not much experience in domestic policy. I think she would be qualified for VP or even prez and Benghazi is a long time ago, but don't think she's being picked. Biden may either make her SoS or she returns to her old post as Natl Security Adviser.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3029 on: June 25, 2020, 03:59:06 AM »

I think that Biden will in the end pick Harris. I'd prefer Demings but I do believe that Harris qualified. It seems that the Biden team wants to pick a woman of color who has enough experience to be President on Day 1. It seems that Harris is the best choice for him at this point.

Yup, I would be surprised if Harris isn't picked. Demings would be kind of interesting, but she has not that much experience. Same with KLB or Abrams. Bass is an unknown quantity on the national stage while Warren is only checking the "female" and "progressive" box.

My feeling is Biden would actually like to pick Susan Rice because she's the ultimate definition of "sympatico", but there are just factors that speak for Harris besides checking all boxes: Experience, proven on national stage and from a safe state that has many Dem donors. Rice on contrary has never run a campaign and not much experience in domestic policy. I think she would be qualified for VP or even prez and Benghazi is a long time ago, but don't think she's being picked. Biden may either make her SoS or she returns to her old post as Natl Security Adviser.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/steve-chapman/ct-column-biden-running-mate-susan-rice-chapman-20200624-ddrfdtile5gtha4w3isqyk7vjq-story.html

The Chicago Tribune published earlier an Opinion piece that Susan Rice should be the pick.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3030 on: June 25, 2020, 05:48:10 AM »

I can't be the only who thinks that a month after Harris is chosen, once she's not competing with anyone intra-party (i.e. it's shill time), the whole mood is going to flip? We're all talking about a very vocal leftist twitter trend but there's not that many of them and they can "lose" on issues, for example Tara Read.

Take also for instance the threads on here "how has your opinion changed on Biden in the last two months", with increasing approval noted generally. People like winners and are not likely to ride hate trains about a ticket up 8-12 points in the polls. sh**t just won't stick. And FWIW the racism from the right is sure to surge after she's chosen, and that'll help rally the woke left (Warren Dems).

You bring up a good point. Most of the Harris hate resides in super leftist Rose Twitter right now anyway, so I wonder if even they'll let up once she's chosen.

At the end of the day though, you have to give it to Harris - she's been the only one who's been out front and center lately, working for the cause. Which is why I think it's so frustrating when people are like "BUT HER RECORD~~~~~" when she's literally trying to be out there right NOW doing the work that needs to be done.

It's the same BS like people bringing up Biden speeches from 1975 like it matters right now in 2020.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3031 on: June 25, 2020, 06:28:14 AM »

This isn't a valid argument against Bass. First of all, the "Karen" meme refers strictly to white women calling the cops or being racist against minorities for no reason. Second of all, her first name isn't going to be on the bumper stickers. It's a different story for "BIDEN-BOTTOMS" but "BIDEN-BASS" isn't  the same.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3032 on: June 25, 2020, 08:04:14 AM »

This isn't a valid argument against Bass. First of all, the "Karen" meme refers strictly to white women calling the cops or being racist against minorities for no reason. Second of all, her first name isn't going to be on the bumper stickers. It's a different story for "BIDEN-BOTTOMS" but "BIDEN-BASS" isn't  the same.
Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of Karen Bass but her name is not a problem lol.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3033 on: June 25, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »

NYT story on Duckworth here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/us/politics/tammy-duckworth-vice-president-joe-biden.html

Two people with knowledge of the vetting process say that Ms Duckworth’s early interviews with the Biden campaign were impressive enough to make her a contender.

It reiterates earlier NYT story that Duckworth is one of more than a dozen candidates to have been interviewed, and among a smaller group who were then asked to submit vetting documents.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3034 on: June 25, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »

Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of Karen Bass but her name is not a problem lol.

If anything, it could lowkey help. There are about 1.1 million people in the US with the name Karen. They have been subjected to a personally derogatory name and probably feel unfairly put upon. Choosing a VP with the first name Karen could be a validating experience that pushes some of the more swingy types towards Biden. Never underestimate people's propensity to vote for shallow reasons.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3035 on: June 25, 2020, 10:59:39 AM »

NYT story on Duckworth here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/us/politics/tammy-duckworth-vice-president-joe-biden.html

Two people with knowledge of the vetting process say that Ms Duckworth’s early interviews with the Biden campaign were impressive enough to make her a contender.

It reiterates earlier NYT story that Duckworth is one of more than a dozen candidates to have been interviewed, and among a smaller group who were then asked to submit vetting documents.

Certainly preferable to a lot of other candidates considered serious contenders.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3036 on: June 25, 2020, 02:15:08 PM »

I think we can cross Susan Rice from the list.

South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3037 on: June 25, 2020, 02:18:42 PM »

Whoa.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3038 on: June 25, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »

If Biden has any sense he should stay clear of Rice. She was an already terrible pick.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3039 on: June 25, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »

Oh hell nah.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3040 on: June 25, 2020, 02:57:48 PM »

If true this confirms what I've suspected. She is incapable of reading a room. That's not surprising given that she has never ran for elected office.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3041 on: June 25, 2020, 03:28:29 PM »

LBR: Rice was never seriously in contention anyway
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3042 on: June 25, 2020, 03:34:38 PM »

Y’all are still living in 2006. The enthusiasm gaP around guns has narrowed if anything there’s a gap that favors us now. This isn’t gonna be a major issue. Rice is still a top contender. And besides, I think one of the few good things Harris did in her campaign was cosign Betos gun plan. Are y’all same she is out of contention as well? Because I mean I’d love that, but this is not a valid reason.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3043 on: June 25, 2020, 03:37:57 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2020, 11:46:45 PM by Make PA Blue Again! »

Why Rice is in top contention is beyond me. She's never run for office and she brings nothing to the ticket.

She's also directly linked to the Benghazi hysteria and I have no idea why Biden would want to have anything that the Trump campaign could use to tie him to Hillary.

She's just a magnet for controversy.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3044 on: June 25, 2020, 03:38:41 PM »

Y’all are still living in 2006. The enthusiasm gaP around guns has narrowed if anything there’s a gap that favors us now. This isn’t gonna be a major issue. Rice is still a top contender. And besides, I think one of the few good things Harris did in her campaign was cosign Betos gun plan. Are y’all same she is out of contention as well? Because I mean I’d love that, but this is not a valid reason.
Huh? We are talking about Rice being in favor of mandatory military enlistment.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3045 on: June 25, 2020, 03:43:17 PM »

Oh conscription! I read it as confiscation. I have bad eyesight I’m sorry. Um, I think she’ll have to do some explaining to the left, but I don’t think it will hurt with suburban Lincoln project types. Also I could easily see the dude taking out of context for his own purposes.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3046 on: June 25, 2020, 04:17:24 PM »

Also worth noting, she could be talking about a national service program similar to what a lot of Democrats propose. I certainly have my own feelings about that, but I don’t think it would disqualify her. Matter of fact a lot of older voters might like it. We will have to see when the interview comes out but I think it’s too early to count Her out
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3047 on: June 25, 2020, 05:45:49 PM »

Also worth noting, she could be talking about a national service program similar to what a lot of Democrats propose. I certainly have my own feelings about that, but I don’t think it would disqualify her. Matter of fact a lot of older voters might like it. We will have to see when the interview comes out but I think it’s too early to count Her out

Mandatory national service during peacetime is anti american, and that's not a phrase I throw out often.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #3048 on: June 25, 2020, 06:02:05 PM »

If Harris is picked, they will bring back the desegregation/busing thing

Meh, it probably won't make much of a difference. Might lower turnout among younger lefties (who are already a very low-turnout group), but that's about it.

I mean, if Trump had a good record on race/civil rights issues then I'm sure it could shift some votes. But this is Donald Trump we're talking about. Him attacking Harris on civil rights issues would be the dictionary definition of throwing stones from a glass house.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3049 on: June 25, 2020, 06:12:34 PM »

Why Rice is in top contention is beyond me. She's never run for office and she brings nothing to the ticket.

She's also directly linked to the Benghazi hysteria and I have no idea why Team Biden would want to dig that up again.

Tbh I think it would be hugely to Biden's benefit if Trump went off about Benghazi for a big chunk of the campaign. Not convinced by Rice as a VP pick, but Benghazi is almost a reason to choose her; it would bait Trump into wasting time with an issue literally no one cares about anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies